Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
qwerty123

Steve Walsh found Drogba

Hardly 'found him' did he. Drogba was a major player in Europe at Marseille.

Though he was previously at Guingamp - a la Knockaert.

I agree with this.

I saw Drogba when he was playing in the French League. He was was an outstanding CF very strong powerful player. He was always going to to be star just depended who had the most dosh to buy him. He hardly went for pennies when Chelsea signed him. He cost big money.

Having said that Walsh is a a great scout and LCFC are very lucky to have him. He has signed some young players with great potential in the the English top flight.

When Drogba signed for chelsea, there was major criticism as he had an average scoring record and wasnt seen as all that. So Walsh saw in him what a lot probably didnt, and got him signed up.

By average scoring record do you mean better than 1 in 2 the season before he signed for them?

And by not being seen as all that do you mean that he was voted as the french footballs equivalent of the FA player on the year the same season?

As well as being the uefa cups top scorer in that same season?

When Drogba signed for chelsea, there was major criticism as he had an average scoring record and wasnt seen as all that. So Walsh saw in him what a lot probably didnt, and got him signed up.

19 goals in one season for Marseille including 5 in the champions league and 6 in the Uefa Cup.

Like someone said earlier Drogba was always going to be a big talent it was just who was prepared to pay that much for him.

In all seriousness, I remember seeing Drogba playing in a couple of televised European games when he was still at Marseille.

To me, as a non-expert football fan, he stood out as special, more than any player I'd seen for several years.

He was able to hold off 2-3 defenders and keep them occupied - and achieve a rare double. He was a genuine goal threat on his own against 2-3 defenders, timing the runs, holding defenders off, hitting the target on the ground or in the air. Yet he could also receive the ball with his back to goal and defenders challenging, and could play in supporting team-mates running from midfield or wherever. Can't think of many better solo strikers in living memory.

Now, if it was obvious to me, as an amateur, how good he was....I don't think Walsh can claim too much credit.

For Mahrez, among others, he certainly can! Picking him up for £400k or whatever could be the snip of the century in a couple of years time. Then there's the likes of Tunchev (would've been a massive signing, if he hadn't got injured), calculated gambles on good players who'd had injuries (Berner, James, Wasilewski), players who'd "missed their chance" (Vardy) or raw, non-league no-hopers (Michael Morrison). City's scouting system must be among the best in the business, given their track record during both of NP's reigns - and if Walsh is in charge of that, he deserves massive accolades....but not for Drogba! 

I remember watching him against Newcastle in the Uefa Cup that year and tore them apart also.

I remember Drogba for Marseille, the bastard absolutely tore Liverpool apart in the UEFA Cup. 

yeah. shit was like, woah.

Yeah drogba ruined liverpool in the 03 (maybe 04?) uefa cup. I was in year 4 or 5 at the time and me and my 8 year old mates could've told you he was probably gonna be decent. Good scout as he's proven here but claiming signing drogba at Chelsea was clever scouting is mad, Chelsea just paid more than the (probably) tens of other clubs in Europe who wanted him.

Not sure if it was mentioned cant be arsed to read, he also found John Obi Mikel,

Who I think is top top class, just needs to get out of chelsea to prove it IMO

Strange transfer that was. Signed for Man Utd then Chelsea paid £12 million to them a month later without him even kicking a ball for united.

Archived