Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Kenny Burns

Burns has called us worthy champions and said that we deserve to be in the Premier League.

He's just questioning why Forest were so far behind and only finished a pitiful 11th, (below Bournemouth hoho).

Relax and enjoy the Bank Holiday.

Well said: some of the over-reactions on this thread are a bit sad, to be honest. We are, as Burns says, worthy champions: some of us need to start acting like that.

The one thing I would take issue with in Burns' article is when he says "That [automatic promotion] is certainly what is going to be expected of new boss Stuart Pearce and the team he builds over the summer."

That's not going to happen. I reckon Pearce will be out of a job by Christmas with Florist already fighting relegation: and it wouldn't surprise me to see them go down at the end of the season.

Comments (1)

I CAN'T quite believe my eyes when I look at the final Championship table and see Nottingham Forest finished a staggering 37 points behind champions Leicester in 11th.

But don't tell me they are that much better than the Reds because they're not.

In fact, we should have beaten them twice this season.

Forest should definitely have beaten them at the City Ground in February instead of having to settle for a 2-2 draw.

These are the only statements which beg belief on that article. The rest is probably a fair reflection of Forest's free fall down the table. They did what we did last season - put in some fantastic performances and some big wins but dropped points at to the sides like Millwall and Yeovil they needed the beat, as we did during our barren run last year. They finished on near enough the same points as we did with a similar performance record (not having Simon Cox probably explains why we were a few points further ahead!) so we deserve to be 37 points ahead this year as we won those games against the struggling sides.

This guys journalism is very poor though! Nobody writes an article quite like Henry Winter.

He's right in as much as no one in the championship is massively better than anyone else in terms of raw ability. But totally wrong to imply that bridging even a small gap should be straight forward. It takes a perfect combination of ability, team spirit, determination and consistency to win the championship. You might get ome factor easily enough but getting all four is very difficult.

Well said: some of the over-reactions on this thread are a bit sad, to be honest. We are, as Burns says, worthy champions: some of us need to start acting like that.

Just because he said we're worthy champions in one line doesn't mean he's not undermined our achievements on another.

The idea that they should have been close to us in the table is laughable. For me, we've played like a team competing at the wrong level all season.

They're nothing more than also rans in this league and it's showed in the table.

"But don't tell me they are that much better than the Reds because they're not"

​No Kenny we were 37 points better than Forest. Bit like my Dad telling me yesterday that Leeds should have beat us at their place, Yes they should but they didn't!!

In all honesty there's not that much wrong with this article, buthe has spouted some bollocks about us over the years.

Forest have under-achieved big time this season. Their squad is amongst the top 6 in the division but they crumbled, simple as that.

But if this league was decided on who has the best players on paper and games they "should" win we'd have been promoted years ago. But it's not.

That's not going to happen. I reckon Pearce will be out of a job by Christmas with Florist already fighting relegation: and it wouldn't surprise me to see them go down at the end of the season.

This. I can imagine it being like our 2007-08 campaign with Manadaric rallying for promotion. Think they're in for a nasty shock next year, especially if they don't start well, in which case it would really end in a (hilarious) disaster for them.

In a cup competition maybe you deserve to win but you don't. In a league the best team that season wins it, you get to where you are on merit. The most consistent team always wins it. They may have played well for short periods but were not good enough to sustain that form.

Surely finishing 37 points above them proved we are 'that much better', just because the games between forest and leicester have been close it's what Leicester did in the other 44 games that counts.

The one thing I would take issue with in Burns' article is when he says "That [automatic promotion] is certainly what is going to be expected of new boss Stuart Pearce and the team he builds over the summer."

Cock on.

One of our aims next season will be to finish as the Midlands top team.

That means that Stoke, Villa and WBA are now our rivals.

We are premier league. Why get upset about what Forest say about us?

Last season we were four wins away from the top two, with a manager who had put a squad together over a couple of seasons.

Forest are ten wins away from second place, the standard was much higher this season (all of the top four would've finished at least second with their points tally last season) and they have serious work to do to get automatic promotion.

Last season we were four wins away from the top two, with a manager who had put a squad together over a couple of seasons.

Forest are ten wins away from second place, the standard was much higher this season (all of the top four would've finished at least second with their points tally last season) and they have serious work to do to get automatic promotion.

Don't forget 'King Stu' at the helm at well lol

Ex pro writing about his old club, he is talking about Forest not us, said we were worthy winners so happy with that. Forest did have plenty of chances but blew it big time. I have plenty of customers who are Forest fans and some have struggled to see how we put so much distance between us. Think they have more problems than worrying about us. Perhaps Redhux can enlighten us but if some of us were worried about ffp then what about Forest. They seem to have spent plenty on their promotion push this season, we have managed to move on many of our higher paid players, Danns,Wellens, Gallagher and must have really reduced our costs this year.

Many Forest fans seem to forget how much they have spent on wages and they still have the likes of Miller and Derbyshire on money even Sven baulked at. The lad the had fom Chelsea on loan was supposedly on big bucks and hardly played. Some point to their injury list bt something has to be very very wrong with their preperation and conditioning and lets not forget we have had injuries as well. We started the season with SSL and Whitbread as centre halfs a central midfielder in Drinkwater who had struggled towards the end of last season and a doubting centre forward in Vardy who probably was behind Wood in the pecking order. We though had a manager and team with a plan they had King Billy, we have Top and Vichai they have Fazwaz good luck pyscho think he may need it. What will they do if Derby win the play offs lol

Seeing as he mentions them dropping points against lesser teams how about:

Doncaster away: lost

Blackpool away: drew

Yeovil home: drew

Wednesday away: lost

Still finished on 102 points though.

Sorry if someone else has mentioned this but I am baffled by one thing he says.

He said that Forest should have beaten us twice this season but this is where I get confused. What is he basing this one?

If it is how the teams played then maybe they should have won at the City Ground but in his own words at the KP it was a smash and grab and therefore we deserved to win and they were lucky.

However, if it is based on scoring goals then they deserved to win at the KP and at the City Ground it deserved to be a draw.

However, if it is based on pure bitter bias then I completely get his point and I am in fact utterly surprised that they didn't win every single game this year.

I just think those statements are clear contradictions a bit like the fact he has a massive tache and a bald head.

Mr Burns is a classic example of how some former players shouldn't even try being journalists/commentators. No wonder his only outlet is a little-known regional paper.

Looking through his musings - what does he actually say?

a) Forest didn't win enough games to make it into the play offs

b) He has no idea why that is

c) Hopefully next season will be different

Great analysis there. Truly insightful.

Not really a over reaction,the bloke has previous with us,sounds like he is a tad jealous.

Archived