Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Matthew Upson

Def in prem will need a CB with pace  Liam has potential but is untested as yet. Upson too old and not for the future so i say no. Wes deserves a chance but i still worry about his lack of pace.

Not especially keen to be honest. We've got a bigger, stronger version of him in Marcin Wasilewski (both aren't that fast but are quite solid defenders).

I think we can do better. Maybe a few years ago I would have liked to. But we should try and look at defenders who are much younger.

I think he's left-footed which should certainly be one of the essential criteria in finding a partner for Wes. He is also experienced which ticks another important box.

Having said that I think we could probably do better, his best days are behind him no matter how well he's performed in The Championship. If there are two positions I'd really like to see us spend on some real quality it's a centre back and a striker.

We have a 25 man squad to fill, I don't see any harm in having an experienced reliable centre back good in the air, as one of them, especially as Moore is still 21 so not included as part of the 25 man squad. If you imagine a 25 man squad to have 4 centre backs, we would have Morgan, Was, Upson? and Another CB (younger, pacier), then we also have Moore to select.

Not bad options.

Money we have, premier league experience we don't.

yeah i get experience could be useful but surely there's a line to be drawn, we can't keep being linked to average players who've got premier league experience and sign them up purely for that. we need good players with premier league experience, not 35 year old championship cbs who used to play in the premier league. 

i don't think he's as good as wes or was and if anything goes wrong there we've got moore and hopefully another cb who would improve our squad, not just the depth of our squad but the quality too. just my opinion though. 

yeah i get experience could be useful but surely there's a line to be drawn, we can't keep being linked to average players who've got premier league experience and sign them up purely for that. we need good players with premier league experience, not 35 year old championship cbs who used to play in the premier league. 

i don't think he's as good as wes or was and if anything goes wrong there we've got moore and hopefully another cb who would improve our squad, not just the depth of our squad but the quality too. just my opinion though. 

We're going to be linked to all and sundry, if Pearson just buys 35 year old players, then we might be in trouble, but at the moment it is just idle speculation.

The truth ois though we could really do with some experienced prem players, and the most readily available of them will be the older lot. We benefitted massively last season by having some seasoned performers in the squad, not necessarily on the pitch but off it, the likes of Hammond, GTF, Phillips, may not have played that much but their influence was clear.

We don't know how Moore, Wes or Was will cope next season, for someone like Upson you know what they will bring, you know they won't be overawed by the occasion and will help our other players when it gets tough.

I wouldn't be upset to have him in the squad next season, one year deal, I wouldn't expect him to start unless we have injuries, but as a squad member he would be useful, remember that with the squad rule we can't bring in loans next season, we will need a squad to get us to January so depth and relaibility will be important.

Carnt be that great seeing as tho dierby smashed 4 past brighton. Would rather a young up coming player who has passion to sucseed not a has been who was never great anyway

No you are right you should definitely judge a player on one game, that includes 21 other players on the pitch, especially when he has been player of the season in the best defence in the championship.

Not every player we will sign will be someone who starts, or sometimes even makes the bench. Some of them need to be squad players, just like Phillips, or GTF or Hammond this year.

Been wank for years.

And yet the Brighton fans who presumably see him week in week out think he was player of the season.

Archived