Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Euro 2016 Qualifying

That's right.

Parents are from Iran and Romania.

Went to Granada from the Glenn Hoddle Academy.

Usually His finishing is the weakest point of his game.

Certainly done well as a team.

Fancy Scots for a playoff at least.

Cheers for that mate.My ignorance has let me down again!Just assumed he was one of the italians with a name like anya.

Group D:

Georgia 1-2 Republic of Ireland

Germany 2-1 Scotland

Gibraltar 0-7 Poland

Group F:

Hungary 1-2 Northern Ireland

Faroe Islands 1-3 Finland

Greece 0-1 Romania

Group I:

Denmark 2-1 Armenia

Portugal 0-1 Albania

Some fascinating results tonight, and a great efforts from Scotland and both Irish teams.

First competitive look at Gibraltar and I'm a bit disappointed. Having beaten Malta and got a couple of great draws I thought they might be able to pick up a few points in the group. Bottom on 0 points beckons, unless they catch Georgia on a bad day.

Germany had to rebuild and were missing a couple of key players, too. Well done to Scotland for putting up a fight until (almost) the very end. Anya's goal was a joy in the eye of the beholder. Great composure and finish ability.

Thing is, Germany have that knack for holding back, waiting for the opposition to make that one mistake, then shifting up a few gears.

Even with a second-string outfit and an unproven defense, they still possess that killer instinct to finish off games with such ease. 

Portugal's failure is fairly hilarious...Good performance from ROI and, (through gritted teeth) porridge snafflers too! Result of the night though, from a British POV, has to be Northern Ireland...great late comeback !!

This team is useless without Ronaldo. They had a few others (including Helder Postiga and Hugo Almeida) out of the squad, and I don't think they had a single striker on their team that has scored a goal for the senior national team. Even still, Postiga is not exactly Thomas Müller, and are there any half decent young Portuguese forwards out there anywhere? You know you've got problems when Nani is leading your attack and wearing the captain's armband. Yes, Nani. Portugal's biggest offensive threat was Pepe lol. I think all this should make England feel a lot better about their own young players!

I really have to hand it to Albania, though--Portugal had no ideas on offense, but Albania were still well organized, and they defended heroically. Plus, Balaj's finish was excellent--Portugal could have played all night and nobody on that squad would have been able to produce a goal like that, much less any goal.

Edit to add: How pathetic yet hilarious was it when the Portuguese fans spent the last several minutes waving white handkerchiefs, booing and whistling their team?

As I've said, we're going to qualify narrowly second just behind Belgium.

But I'd take that if I had to.

12/1 to finish above Bosnia if you fancy it with Paddies.

7/4 to qualify outright including play off. Bookies think you'll finish 4th behind the Israelis.

Think the 7-4 is value actually as I think you'll finish 3rd and shouldn't be an outsider in the play off.

Whatever happened to Nelson Oliviera? He was supposed to be the next big thing in Euro 12. Remember him coming off the bench in most of their games. Big lad, just looked like a young Almeida to be honest.

He get in Benfica's side?

Not anymore lol always out on loan. Had a season at Depor and was largely garbage.

Great result for Northern Ireland, not a bad one for the republic either. Scotts should be encouraged by that start.

Ramsay and Bale playing tonight Finners? EDIT: Forget that you don't seem to be playing! Tomorrow Andorra I see, so you wont even need them.

Everyone important is fit. HRK is crocked, Collins has withdrawn, think that's about it.

I imagine Bale and Ramsey will get sixty minutes, providing we're winning comfortably. Would not be surprised to see George Williams and Tom Lawrence given competitive debuts to tie them to Wales. Seems to be the strategy at the moment and we should piss this, frankly.

Expect Switzerland trying to have a go at home against England tonight. Coach Petkovic is very likely to field a 4-3-3: Inler, Behrami and Xhaka in the middle - Mehmedi, Seferovic and Shaqiri up front.

You'll win I think. No Strurridge No Henderson will make us even worse than usual.

0-0 alll day. we'll set up defensively, lambert or welbeck up front with rooney "in behind", no goal threat at all but probably be solid enough at the back with two defensive midfielders. who i'm not sure but we'll be pathetically bad. ukraine away last qualifier repeated. 

Expect Switzerland trying to have a go at home against England tonight. Coach Petkovic is very likely to field a 4-3-3: Inler, Behrami and Xhaka in the middle - Mehmedi, Seferovic and Shaqiri up front.

How do you lot view Roy? Is he still popular?

How do you lot view Roy? Is he still popular?

Very much so. At least with the ones who were already old enough to witness the WC qualifiers starting in autumn 1992.

He's certainly a prominent figure in the overall history of the National Squad. Managed to lead Switzerland to a World Cup for the first time in 28 years. Did quite well with Xamax Neuchâtel in the two years prior to the Swiss call.

It was sad to see him leave for Inter following our qualification for Euro 1996, but Hodgson was quite the maverick back in the days, never staying too long with the same club or team - you might hold that against him, but it's still not enough to divert from the fact that he put Switzerland back on the football map.

For that, most Swiss football fans will always be grateful.

Archived