Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Euro 2016 Qualifying

the amount of trophies that Gary Cahill has won and playing/played in one of the best defences over the last two seasons suggests he is a bloody good footballer and is a league above Ashley Williams, only on this forum would you get people disputing this..

the amount of trophies that Gary Cahill has won and playing/played in one of the best defences over the last two seasons suggests he is a bloody good footballer and is a league above Ashley Williams, only on this forum would you get people disputing this..

are you ignoring what i'm saying or taking the piss?

AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME I would rather have Williams ahead of Cahill.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/at

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/this

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/moment

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/in

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/time

I could be pedantic and say that Cahill is in the same league as Williams which would be an indisputable [Grandad] fact [\Grandad].

But I'll go along with your statement that he has played in one of the best defences in the last two seasons, and I would even accept that he has done his job in that defense.

This season, he has been nowhere near that level though, which lead to my argument earlier that the aging Terry was the main man in that defense. Look at Ivanovic too, who has looked ordinary for years for Serbia, how massively he has dropped off this year. There might be a case to add Matic to that list too.

And it's not like Cahill was a world beater before he joined Chelsea was it? Where Williams has IMO improved with age, I don't feel the progression has been as pronounced with Cahill, despite playing next to possibly the best central defender in Europe for the past few years.

One of the main arguments I would make is that Williams is a proven leader at club and international level. Thirteen clean sheets last season in the Prem, one less than that magnificent defense you talk about, is nothing to be sniffed at. He would definitely be able to contribute in an England side devoid of any natural leaders.

The "Williams isn't considered as good as Cahill because he plays for Swansea but he's better" argument is so poor.

Cahill has been at a top club for a number of years and won trophies because he's a better player...its not rocket science.

No top club has ever or ever will look at Williams.

All got a bit lively in here, hasn't it...anyone actually want to talk about Euro 2016 qualifying?

I'm with Mark on this one in that the qualifiers have been more entertaining than the past few goes round. It's not just the open format that's led to that either - many teams that people wouldn't consider as potential qualifiers have sprung shocks and that's good to watch. Hopefully that might be the case again for the WC2018 qualies too. 

They need to find a better method of working out what the best 3rd placed team is that is for sure.

I think the number of teams competing makes it tricky. If you're going to have to have groups of different sizes and also have a situation where it's not just the top two teams qualifying straight up (which is the case most of the time) then there's probably always going to be an element of unfairness about how you even up the groups to pick the 'best' 3rd placed team. Anyone got any good ideas?

The "Williams isn't considered as good as Cahill because he plays for Swansea but he's better" argument is so poor.

Cahill has been at a top club for a number of years and won trophies because he's a better player...its not rocket science.

No top club has ever or ever will look at Williams.

I would suggest that Cahill has won those trophies because he's been at a top club. His form, without the leadership of Terry, is stating to become alarming.

But, again, i'm saying that right now i'd pick Williams over Cahill. I don't know why that's so ****ing hard to understand?! lol

I played at Centre Half for about 12 years, I think it qualifies my judgement on another. I don't care if you play for your local sunday league team. I know a good centre half when I see one.

I'm not overplaying his talent. But he wouldn't look out of place in the England side. Which is where this debate started.

At what level? Fifa on pro clubs?

I would suggest that Cahill has won those trophies because he's been at a top club. His form, without the leadership of Terry, is stating to become alarming.

But, again, i'm saying that right now i'd pick Williams over Cahill. I don't know why that's so ****ing hard to understand?! lol

Surely there's a reason why Cahill got the move to the big club than Williams did though? And why hasn't williams got a move to a big club?

lol On that logic, you have to agree that Darren Fletcher was twice the player Gerrard was :whistle:

Surely there's a reason why Cahill got the move to the big club than Williams did though? And why hasn't williams got a move to a big club?

Just playing devil's advocate here, Fabian Delph plays for one of the biggest clubs in the country.

It's not because he's really good.

Whilst I'm not normally AKCJ's biggest fan, I do think people are deliberately overlooking part of his point, though, which is the emphasis on current form.

Cahill is playing pretty ****ing bollocks at the moment. On current form, I'm confident quite a few people would pick Williams over Cahill the same as they would and absolutely should pick Vardy over Kane.

Remember when I made that thread saying how good Aaron Ramsey was and everyone shot me down saying he was shit and his form wouldn't last ? Now these people are saying he would get in the England team lol.

Wales will beat England if we meet at Euro 2016 because they're a better team. Not player for player better, they work harder and play as a team. England won't make it out the group, 10 wins against nothing inferior teams doesn't make you contenders.

Just playing devil's advocate here, Fabian Delph plays for one of the biggest clubs in the country.

It's not because he's really good.

Whilst I'm not normally AKCJ's biggest fan, I do think people are deliberately overlooking part of his point, though, which is the emphasis on current form.

Cahill is playing pretty ****ing bollocks at the moment. On current form, I'm confident quite a few people would pick Williams over Cahill the same as they would and absolutely should pick Vardy over Kane.

Exactly.

Williams is in top nick at the moment and someone of his leadership and organisation is exactly what the English national team needs.

Cahill has been abysmal of late. There really isn't another word for it.

Remember when I made that thread saying how good Aaron Ramsey was and everyone shot me down saying he was shit and his form wouldn't last ? Now these people are saying he would get in the England team lol.

Wales will beat England if we meet at Euro 2016 because they're a better team. Not player for player better, they work harder and play as a team. England won't make it out the group, 10 wins against nothing inferior teams doesn't make you contenders.

Note that players like Adam Lallana play for England. It's not as prestigious of a call-up as it once was.

Archived