Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bamba's Babes

David McGoldrick

All I can say is, I hope it's one of many and Ipswich or his agent have leaked the story because they know our interest is cooling and they want a move somewhere.

Hopefully he winds up at QPR for 15m.

Seriously. Between his history of not scoring goals and history or getting injured, I'd rather we stick with what we have. When did Chris Wood stop being better than this clown? If we'd have left Wood alone at Millwall he'd have finished better off than this chump, would we be paying ten million for him then?

I won't slag him off as we've signed enough players that no one thought would pay off for us then have gone on to shine, but it does seem a bit steep. We have great scouts and I put my faith in them - if they think he'll definitely boost our squad then get him in.

Name a striker we have that can strike a football like he does. Would be a great signing. Pearson is clearly looking for someone who can really strike the ball And has power and strength. (Interest in Deeney) And that african lad.

Is this who we can attract now cambiasso has joined then?

Hope this is similar to what happened with McArthur but if not just confirms what I've thought all summer, the scouts have gone awol and we're just plucking players from the championship who played well against us, so disappointing.

You really are incapable of rational thought aren't you.

Scoring 14 league goals in 31 appearances is hardly prolific I am sorry mate you cannot defend this f**King nonsense.

I'm not defending it, I'm pointing out fact, our clubs management team clearly like him, hence the chance of the transfer.

So regardless of what you think or what I think, it would appear there is a very good chance he will be a city player.

I'm not massively happy with it, but if NP wants him, then I'm prepared to give him a chance.

These players from abroad would already be with clubs if they were any good.

Comfortably the most stupid phrase to worm it's way onto FoxesTalk.

Why do I read this on a daily basis? Has the site's IQ dropped dramatically in the last few weeks?

I have no problem buying players from the championship but f**King hell McGoldrick is an average striker no better than what we have for that amount of money I would want someone who has the potential to be better than Vardy, Nugent etc.

Well his GPG ratio was much better than Vardy and Nugent last year.

It's a lot of cash, but needs must.

This one is all about chance conversion rate - We'll have a lot less chance in the Prem which we've already seen we need to take 

Likely a back-up signing if we are unable to push the other 2 striker options through before then window. 

Fee is nowhere near £8m. 

These permits are clearly a problem, or we need a motivator for our target club/player to join us. That sort of wedge, if serious, is really is asking for trouble. DMcG is okay, certainly from last season, but prior to that was dreadful, and I can't see him all of a sudden maintaining consistency.

Well his GPG ratio was much better than Vardy and Nugent last year.

It's a lot of cash, but needs must.

But there's no "needs must" about it. He'd come into our squad as our 5th best centre forward. We don't need him.

This one is all about chance conversion rate - We'll have a lot less chance in the Prem which we've already seen we need to take 

Likely a back-up signing if we are unable to push the other 2 striker options through before then window. 

Fee is nowhere near £8m. 

What is the fee then, my friend??

Scoring 14 league goals in 31 appearances is hardly prolific I am sorry mate you cannot defend this f**King nonsense.

Errrr. Yeah it kind of is.

You can't slate his record last year, if you want to worry worry about it being a one off season, or his injuries.

If we've been talking since Tuesday the other transfer could still be on, we could just have numerous options in case others don't happen.

But there's no "needs must" about it. He'd come into our squad as our 5th best centre forward. We don't need him.

You aren't the manager are you. Pearson has stated he wants another striking option, if he wants one then he has a need for one.

Wouldn't want him on a free. Have people lost their minds? He's an awful championship journeyman.

Yes, he had an okay season last year, what about every single season in professional football before that? And it's not like he's a youngster that we can just write off a history of mediocrity and call it development.

I'm sorry, I've a massive respect for Fez and his football knowledge but this would in every way be a panic buy. Spend the summer chasing better targets and then opt for a bog standard, second tier also-ran for silly money with a few days left?

I feel physically ill. Desperately hope it's a load of rubbish and that - if he's the best striker we can find - we buy some ****ing wingers and a full back instead like we bloody should have a month ago.

Awful Championship journeyman until a couple of years ago, perhaps. Since then, a comparable record to any other top Championship striker.

I'm not saying he's the best player in the world. But this rubbish about him being "awful" is a kneejerk reaction of the worst kind. There is so much evidence available that we have a superb scouting setup and still, despite all the fantastic signings we've made in the past couple of years, people still think we would spend £8million on an "awful" player.

And we don't do panic buys. That's just an overused term - see also "lazy journalism" - employed by fans when players they don't rate are signed close to the end of the transfer window. If you don't rate him, fine. But we will have done our homework.

Personally I don't see why anyone would make a sane and rational decision to slag off a player we might be signing given the then uninspiring signings of Morgan, Drinkwater and Vardy and the incredible level of detail involved in signing players like Knockaert and Mahrez? Unless you feel really strongly, based on plenty of evidence, surely it makes more sense to reserve judgement?

Also, why do people think our technical scouts, despite the Sky articles and praise from Pearson, drew up a list last season and then sat back and did nothing for the whole of this summer? They'll have been working the whole time, gathering statistics and watching footage of players. Some of our fans appear to think they did all of that, came up with a couple of names and that was it.

In reality, what probably happened was that there was a shortlist and someone like Slimani was towards the top. That's been too complicated to do and so we're going for someone further down the list. It happens.

This will be misconstrued by some as me being his biggest fan but nevertheless here are four things I'll say in favour of McGoldrick:

1) He has improved. A lot of people seem to want a five year track record of scoring at a high level before they'll even consider a player. McGoldrick used to be a well-travelled, non-scoring striker who I never rated at all. His record at Coventry was interesting and he's been superb ever since for Ipswich. We wouldn't be buying the player he was four years ago. We'd be buying the player he is now.

2) He offers a combination of strength, height and pace which we haven't currently got and haven't had in many players since Heskey.

3) Ipswich were on the cusp of the play-offs last season and they only had two players of any note: McGoldrick and Cresswell. By their own fans' admission, they are not a creative team. He still scored 16 times in 34 games.

4) In the current market, you have to try to judge him as a £4million player instead of an £8million one. It doesn't really matter at this stage if we're spending a bit over the odds. If we don't sign another striker and we get injuries to Ulloa and Vardy, for example, suddenly we'll be wishing we spent money on anyone who might be able to step up.

For balance, my main concern would be his recent long-term injury. I think he'd complement our current striking options really well but we'd need him to be fit and available for the majority of the season first and foremost.

Awful Championship journeyman until a couple of years ago, perhaps. Since then, a comparable record to any other top Championship striker.

I'm not saying he's the best player in the world. But this rubbish about him being "awful" is a kneejerk reaction of the worst kind. There is so much evidence available that we have a superb scouting setup and still, despite all the fantastic signings we've made in the past couple of years, people still think we would spend £8million on an "awful" player.

And we don't do panic buys. That's just an overused term - see also "lazy journalism" - employed by fans when players they don't rate are signed close to the end of the transfer window. If you don't rate him, fine. But we will have done our homework.

Personally I don't see why anyone would make a sane and rational decision to slag off a player we might be signing given the then uninspiring signings of Morgan, Drinkwater and Vardy and the incredible level of detail involved in signing players like Knockaert and Mahrez? Unless you feel really strongly, based on plenty of evidence, surely it makes more sense to reserve judgement?

Also, why do people think our technical scouts, despite the Sky articles and praise from Pearson, drew up a list last season and then sat back and did nothing for the whole of this summer? They'll have been working the whole time, gathering statistics and watching footage of players. Some of our fans appear to think they did all of that, came up with a couple of names and that was it.

In reality, what probably happened was that there was a shortlist and someone like Slimani was towards the top. That's been too complicated to do and so we're going for someone further down the list. It happens.

This will be misconstrued by some as me being his biggest fan but nevertheless here are three things I'll say in favour of McGoldrick:

1) He has improved. A lot of people seem to want a five year track record of scoring at a high level before they'll even consider a player. McGoldrick used to be a well-travelled, non-scoring striker who I never rated at all. His record at Coventry was interesting and he's been superb ever since for Ipswich. We wouldn't be buying the player he was four years ago. We'd be buying the player he is now.

2) He offers a combination of strength, height and pace which we haven't currently got and haven't had in many players since Heskey.

3) Ipswich were on the cusp of the play-offs last season and they only had two players of any note: McGoldrick and Cresswell. By their own fans' admission, they are not a creative team. He still scored 16 times in 34 games.

4) In the current market, you have to try to judge him as a £4million player instead of an £8million one. It doesn't really matter at this stage if we're spending a bit over the odds. If we don't sign another striker and we get injuries to Ulloa and Vardy, for example, suddenly we'll be wishing we spent money on anyone who might be able to step up.

For balance, my main concern would be his recent long-term injury. I think he'd complement our current striking options really well but we'd need him to be fit and available for the majority of the season first and foremost.

Thank god for some sanity.

Archived