Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bamba's Babes

David McGoldrick

Every time I've seen Ipswich play, including the Norwich game last week, he has looked the most influential and dangerous player on the pitch. I have no doubt he has enough ability to get in our team I just hope his injury last season was a one off 

You aren't the manager are you. Pearson has stated he wants another striking option, if he wants one then he has a need for one.

It's certainly another striking option but is he a better striking option than any of our other strikers as many of our other targets were looking to be?

lol Is this a parody account now?

do I need to explain further or do you understand the point?

I don't care about your opinion, If Pearson does want another striker (which he's stated), then he has a need for another striker and I want him to get what he wants. So needs must.

Look, we need better than this not players of a similar quality. He's not as good as Nugent, Vardy or Ulloa, end of. Cannot believe we would be in for someone like him.

Pearson would not throw that kind of money at someone out of contract next summer.

We should only bring in a striker if he's better than at least one of our 4 best strikers, not sure he's better than wood.

Stinks of an agent leaking a story to get a new contract or raise awareness.

If true, and I hope not, it could see Wood go the other way as part of the deal. I reckon he'd go there as well, he's mates with the New Zealand player they have.

It's certainly another striking option but is he a better striking option than any of our other strikers as many of our other targets were looking to be?

On last seasons ratios, yes he is.

Not my first choice by a long shot, clearly not the clubs either. But if the others can't get done for whatever reason and the manager wants another option them so be it.

I'll judge him when he plays.

Look, we need better than this not players of a similar quality. He's not as good as Nugent, Vardy or Ulloa, end of. Cannot believe we would be in for someone like him.

Well no I suppose he's not if you ignore all of last seasons stats.

Funny, we had all of this about Ulloah, a couple of games in and some decent contributions and people went quiet on him not being very good etc.

Well no I suppose he's not if you ignore all of last seasons stats.

Funny, we had all of this about Ulloah, a couple of games in and some decent contributions and people went quiet on him not being very good etc.

I heard it was Cambiasso that recommended him to Pearson!!!

And what if Nigel Pearson thinks this is better than what we have??

Awful Championship journeyman until a couple of years ago, perhaps. Since then, a comparable record to any other top Championship striker.

I'm not saying he's the best player in the world. But this rubbish about him being "awful" is a kneejerk reaction of the worst kind. There is so much evidence available that we have a superb scouting setup and still, despite all the fantastic signings we've made in the past couple of years, people still think we would spend £8million on an "awful" player.

And we don't do panic buys. That's just an overused term - see also "lazy journalism" - employed by fans when players they don't rate are signed close to the end of the transfer window. If you don't rate him, fine. But we will have done our homework.

Personally I don't see why anyone would make a sane and rational decision to slag off a player we might be signing given the then uninspiring signings of Morgan, Drinkwater and Vardy and the incredible level of detail involved in signing players like Knockaert and Mahrez? Unless you feel really strongly, based on plenty of evidence, surely it makes more sense to reserve judgement?

Also, why do people think our technical scouts, despite the Sky articles and praise from Pearson, drew up a list last season and then sat back and did nothing for the whole of this summer? They'll have been working the whole time, gathering statistics and watching footage of players. Some of our fans appear to think they did all of that, came up with a couple of names and that was it.

In reality, what probably happened was that there was a shortlist and someone like Slimani was towards the top. That's been too complicated to do and so we're going for someone further down the list. It happens.

This will be misconstrued by some as me being his biggest fan but nevertheless here are four things I'll say in favour of McGoldrick:

1) He has improved. A lot of people seem to want a five year track record of scoring at a high level before they'll even consider a player. McGoldrick used to be a well-travelled, non-scoring striker who I never rated at all. His record at Coventry was interesting and he's been superb ever since for Ipswich. We wouldn't be buying the player he was four years ago. We'd be buying the player he is now.

2) He offers a combination of strength, height and pace which we haven't currently got and haven't had in many players since Heskey.

3) Ipswich were on the cusp of the play-offs last season and they only had two players of any note: McGoldrick and Cresswell. By their own fans' admission, they are not a creative team. He still scored 16 times in 34 games.

4) In the current market, you have to try to judge him as a £4million player instead of an £8million one. It doesn't really matter at this stage if we're spending a bit over the odds. If we don't sign another striker and we get injuries to Ulloa and Vardy, for example, suddenly we'll be wishing we spent money on anyone who might be able to step up.

For balance, my main concern would be his recent long-term injury. I think he'd complement our current striking options really well but we'd need him to be fit and available for the majority of the season first and foremost.

To address your points in turn:

1) I'm not sure 19 goals in 47 games constitutes "superb". Good, yes, but let's not overstate it.

2) I agree and it's obvious from the players we've been linked with (Deeney, Slimani etc) that we're looking for a fast, physical forward.

3) Ipswich's side was built around McGoldrick. You only need to look at Chris Wood's record for Millwall to see how much that can benefit a player. There's not a chance we'll be doing the same here.

4) This just doesn't hold water for me. If a mate bought a house for £400k that was worth £200k I just wouldn't buy in the same neighbourhood as him. I'd be looking elsewhere. And if that is what we were doing (and I hope it was), now we've realised that there are no houses left in good value areas, we've had to come back to the original neighbourhood. That doesn't mean we've got a good deal. It means we're just as stupid as everybody else.

Your point about the scouting department is completely reasonable but it's my view that even if you've extensively scouted a player, when you're making a first bid less than a week before the transfer window shuts (especially when we've been promoted for 5 months) it suggests that he was not only not top of the list but nowhere near top of the list.

And what if Nigel Pearson thinks this is better than what we have??

I think we are crying out for a proven premier league striker. Missed chances will kill us this season, a better striker would have buried the Schlupp/Nugent chances agsainst Everton and Chelsea.

do I need to explain further or do you understand the point?

I don't care about your opinion, If Pearson does want another striker (which he's stated), then he has a need for another striker and I want him to get what he wants. So needs must.

If you don't care about other people's opinions why on earth would you participate in an Internet forum?!

If Ipswich sell then they're gonna need a replacement so I reckon the deal might depend on whether MM can line up a player to replace him

Billy Kee £6 million.

Archived