Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

Merge in turns here in the UK cause so many problems due to people hating the thought of someone getting ahead of them. Luckily most merge in turns are slow speed affairs and the risk of something dangerous happening is reduced but then there are the ones like coming back along the M69 where lane 3 merges into lane 2 and the risk is huge. I’ve seen people in lane 2 speeding up to prevent someone dropping over them from the disappearing lane 3 several times. Are they not aware they are going 70 plus and any contact at that speed likely kills them as well as the person they are trying to force off the road. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

Merge in turns here in the UK cause so many problems due to people hating the thought of someone getting ahead of them. Luckily most merge in turns are slow speed affairs and the risk of something dangerous happening is reduced but then there are the ones like coming back along the M69 where lane 3 merges into lane 2 and the risk is huge. I’ve seen people in lane 2 speeding up to prevent someone dropping over them from the disappearing lane 3 several times. Are they not aware they are going 70 plus and any contact at that speed likely kills them as well as the person they are trying to force off the road. 

Had a run in down in Poole week before last.

Big junction over a dual carriageway. Cars turning left from the dual carriageway are queing. I am coming over the junction (thus right of way from the right).

Two lanes merge into one. Queuing cars on left side. I go into the lane which is to merge into the other.

I am in lane and about to merge when a car behind me accelerates forward, does not let me in and tries to force me into the oncoming traffic.

He was 60s and a massive gammon. You can just tell.

He tried to ignore my existence even though his window was down, my passenger window was down and my missus politely asking hin what he was doing and not to pretend that he couldnt see us.

But why is the need to act like this?

It ended up with him driving into my wing mirror and his car wheel arch crumpling up. 

Needless to say I got ahead.

Edit: I probably ought not to have said the "i got ahead" part as it makes me look like a twat. BUT I BEAT A GAMMON

Edited by adam1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, adam1 said:

But why is the need to act like this?

Yep, that's the bit that baffles me too. The why of it.

I've been a passenger in a car where the driver has been like it. And another passenger has instructed "don't let them in!" (referring to the car) I mean, I get it; sitting in queues of traffic is frustrating but you're only winding yourself up by getting all agro about it. 

36 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

Yeah not really a fan of these, especially when they're so short and off a junction or roundabout. Some are barely a cars length. 

There's one near Oxford where you come off the A421 and on to the A34 (near the M40). 3 lanes merge in to 2 but for the amount of traffic coming off that roundabout in to Oxford, and for how short the merge section is, is just silly. 

22 hours ago, StanSP said:

Yeah not really a fan of these, especially when they're so short and off a junction or roundabout. Some are barely a cars length. 

There's one near Oxford where you come off the A421 and on to the A34 (near the M40). 3 lanes merge in to 2 but for the amount of traffic coming off that roundabout in to Oxford, and for how short the merge section is, is just silly. 

I have a theory that when you have a really short one,  they are designed to allow an extra 2/3 vehicles space to cross a junction.

Thus helping to reducile congestion before the junction.

Theory is that once that side is allowed to go forward across the junction again, those vehicles would have moved on. 

My thoughts anyway. Makes sense to me.

• Like 1

Are we all agreed that if two lanes are going different routes (think Aylestone Road coming from Fosse Park and you've reached the end of the bus lane at Graham Goode. Left lane goes left or ahead and is usually busy, right lane goes up Wigston Lane and is often empty), anyone who goes in the wrong lane to try and cut in at the lights is not getting any favours from me.

The safest thing for all concerned is for you to carry on to what I assume is the wrong way for you and sort yourself out, rather than let you cut across a junction that was probably designed originally for horses.

I'm not one to go bumper to bumper with the car in front to fvck someone over, but I'm also not going to wave them in with a smile.

But yeah completely agree with everyone about merges/lane closures. Different situation altogether and anyone who tries to prevent a merge is an arse.

On 02/09/2021 at 17:11, HighPeakFox said:

I'm fully supportive of driver awareness courses. The biggest thing I took from it is that they don't focus on fault, they talk about preventative driving - that is to say, do what you can do prevent an accident, whoever is 'at fault'. It served me well recently locally, saving me and another party a lot of time, hassle and money.

I'm shocked that this is something that even needs to be taught lol 

I can't even begin to understand the mindset of someone who'd just allow a crash to happen because they're not at fault. I must be misunderstanding you because that can't be right? I know some people are egotistical, but surely you try and be aware of everything that's going on and prepare for other drivers to make mistakes.

We all make mistakes from time to time on the road, whether it be forgetting to signal, going the wrong speed, driving up a stretch of road where your probably should have waited to allow a car to come from the other direction. I never understand people getting wound up, i'm fairly sure that 99% of the time, it's an honest error of judgement or mistake. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I'm shocked that this is something that even needs to be taught lol 

I can't even begin to understand the mindset of someone who'd just allow a crash to happen because they're not at fault. I must be misunderstanding you because that can't be right? I know some people are egotistical, but surely you try and be aware of everything that's going on and prepare for other drivers to make mistakes.

We all make mistakes from time to time on the road, whether it be forgetting to signal, going the wrong speed, driving up a stretch of road where your probably should have waited to allow a car to come from the other direction. I never understand people getting wound up, i'm fairly sure that 99% of the time, it's an honest error of judgement or mistake. 

You're surprised that people are pig - headed and dogmatic and cut off their noses to spite their face? 

Didn't have you down as naive :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

You're surprised that people are pig - headed and dogmatic and cut off their noses to spite their face? 

Didn't have you down as naive :)

I must be lol

Theres cutting your nose off to spider face* and then there's putting yourself in danger and smashing up your own property...

Hmm now I think about it more... I see your point :D

*US office reference which brings me great joy 

• Like 1

When there’s long queues of traffic and the person in front of you wants to leave a two car gap to the car in front of them, especially if the traffic is queuing down a road and cars are joining the queue from a main road. 

I understand you should leave a safe distance but this is ridiculous, it backs the traffic up even further, just learn to make better use of the space. 

2 hours ago, String fellow said:

Inconsistent road signs. Why are dips hidden but entrances concealed? Talking of road signs, in South Croxton there's a sign pointing to Beeby 2 miles away, with its y missing. Whenever I see the BEEB 2 sign, BBC Radio 2 springs to mind!

Tune in, zone out. Get pissed off with Steve Twat, sorry, Wright, 

30 minutes ago, Raj said:

Cycled passed Trocadero at about 3 o clock and it was rammed. People waiting to get in to fill up.

REALLY???

I've just finished work. Need some fuel for tomorrow's game. Tried two supermarkets and it was mayhem, cars spilling into main road etc. I'm either gonna have to go real early tomorrow morning or just fvck it off and get train.

4 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I've just finished work. Need some fuel for tomorrow's game. Tried two supermarkets and it was mayhem, cars spilling into main road etc. I'm either gonna have to go real early tomorrow morning or just fvck it off and get train.

Try early morning. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Think that's bad? I work in a fvcking petrol station... If it wasn't for the fact that all cars are currently gridlocked outside my work, I'd throw myself in front of one rather than do my shift on Sunday.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Raj said:

Cycled passed Trocadero at about 3 o clock and it was rammed. People waiting to get in to fill up.

REALLY???

News reports of SOME petrol stations closing due to lack of delivery drivers. Everyone is now effectively stockpiling fuel which will result in greater shortages and closures. The fuel equivalent of toilet roll. 

Ironically. I passed a petrol station on the A5 at Hinckley and the queue of cars was preventing a delivery tanker from getting in.

Edited by Parafox

33 minutes ago, Scotch said:

Think that's bad? I work in a fvcking petrol station... If it wasn't for the fact that all cars are currently gridlocked outside my work, I'd throw myself in front of one rather than do my shift on Sunday.

Is there a shortage pending or is it just panic buying???

How do you stockpile fuel safely??? People really would do this?

3 minutes ago, Raj said:

Is there a shortage pending or is it just panic buying???

How do you stockpile fuel safely??? People really would do this?

By "stockpiling" I meant filling the tank to the brim where normally they'd put £20-£30 in.

Personally I put £35 in a week and that just about does me. Today I put the same £35 in. I'm not a greedy **** who doesn't give a **** about anyone else's needs.