Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

4 hours ago, deejdeej said:

When you're coming up to a mini roundabout, but have a restricted view of what's coming up on your right and have to really focus on what's coming from that direction. But plot twist, there's a group of young girls waiting to cross the road that you're paying so much attention to and you feel like a dirty pervert even though you're just trying not to crash lol

Creepy bastards that stare at young girls as they try to cross the road.

My stepdaughter said some lecherous bloke was being really creepy earlier whilst she was out with her mates.

Disgusting :ph34r:

Edited by tom27111

5 hours ago, deejdeej said:

When you're coming up to a mini roundabout, but have a restricted view of what's coming up on your right and have to really focus on what's coming from that direction. But plot twist, there's a group of young girls waiting to cross the road that you're paying so much attention to and you feel like a dirty pervert even though you're just trying not to crash lol

Yeah Right Oh Sure GIF - YeahRight Right OhSure - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 1

On 12/08/2021 at 14:14, deejdeej said:

Police car coming towards me and a parked car.

I go to flash to say come through.

Plot twist.

Red light area. Worker stood 50 yards in front of me.

:nigel:

• Haha 4

Where do you stand on thanking people for stopping because of narrow roads and parked cars when you perhaps don't have to? 

Say you're driving down a village road, and there are parked cars along the right hand side. A car stops in front of the parked cars ahead of you, do you give a quick hand up to acknowledge them stopping, or just blank them because your side was clear and they had to stop any way?

1 hour ago, woollett the bullet said:

Drivers who don't put their hands up or acknowledge when you've let them out of a side road or when you've let them  go before you even though you have the right of way. 

I find most male drivers will acknowledge you, most female drivers don't.

On a similar note: If I'm on my pushbike and do a driver a favour, rarely do you get thanked by male or female drivers

Something else I've noticed too. If I am waiting to turn right in my car on a busy but slow moving road, I won't have long to wait for someone to 'flash' me through. But, if on my bike, that happens far less

• Like 2

12 hours ago, woollett the bullet said:

Drivers who don't put their hands up or acknowledge when you've let them out of a side road or when you've let them  go before you even though you have the right of way. 

Takes seconds to raise your hand or pop hazards on for a sec to acknowledge they've done you a favour. Just people being absolutely ignorant. 

Actually if they completely ignore me I raise my hand to wave at them lol

got shunted from behind at mini roundabout in Syston this afternoon. No damage to either car, the lady who hit me was a bit upset but otherwise ok.

Although her fault, it probably was caused by the car in front of me who approached the mini roundabout with no traffic approaching from either straight on or the left turn from the roundabout yet inexplicably the car in front of me stopped suddenly at the roundabout for no reason at all! I stopped in time, but unfortunately the lady behind didn't and ran in to me!

10 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Main road, following a car, nothing behind me.

Driver in front thinks let's stop and give right of way to the car waiting to turn into a side street.

Ridiculous.  Dangerous.  Stupid.

Why do people do this? I was going on about being courteous earlier but this kind of act is neither courteous nor safe.

Also, drivers waiting to pull out from a side street on my left. I'm the last car in the traffic on the main road and there might be a 30 metre gap between me and the car in front with nothing behind me but empty road, yet these numpties still pull out in front of me causing me to brake to avoid rear-ending them.

• Like 1

On 12/08/2021 at 14:25, pmcla26 said:

Chowns Mill Roundabout, East Northants. Anyone who has used it in the past 12 months knows I don't need to say much more. 

Be careful of the speed camera vans.  They are often on the dual carriageway approach.

Waiting at lights, turning right on to a pain road today. I left the gap as required for cars from the surgery car park on the left to be able to pull out. Car 1 does so, aiming to turn right. I could see nothing coming from the other direction and waved them through, and off they went. Car 2 goes for it, and I hold a hand up to try and say 'stop', as there were now cars coming and they couldn't see. So they took no notice and just carried on, and caused a huge problem which almost resulted in a crash. I shook my head in utter disbelief, and of course I got a 2 fingered salute from their passenger.

13 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Waiting at lights, turning right on to a pain road today. I left the gap as required for cars from the surgery car park on the left to be able to pull out. Car 1 does so, aiming to turn right. I could see nothing coming from the other direction and waved them through, and off they went. Car 2 goes for it, and I hold a hand up to try and say 'stop', as there were now cars coming and they couldn't see. So they took no notice and just carried on, and caused a huge problem which almost resulted in a crash. I shook my head in utter disbelief, and of course I got a 2 fingered salute from their passenger.

I’m not sure how true this is but when I was learning to drive (nearly 10 years ago now) my instructor always told me that if somebody flashes you to go or waves you through or basically gives you any indication of what to do, you know, for yours and their safety, you should ignore them and always see for yourself and if you pulled off after another car flashed their lights in your test to give you a signal you’d get a minor or a major, I can’t remember which one (that’s the bit I’m not sure about being true). 

I always thought that was really bloody stupid. I get that your driving test is to test your perception of the road, how you handle it and how you can control the car, but surely it’s just common sense to teach people that drivers, by and large, will help each other out where necessary and you can still be safe and cautious whilst acting on information given to you by others on the road. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manini said:

I’m not sure how true this is but when I was learning to drive (nearly 10 years ago now) my instructor always told me that if somebody flashes you to go or waves you through or basically gives you any indication of what to do, you know, for yours and their safety, you should ignore them and always see for yourself and if you pulled off after another car flashed their lights in your test to give you a signal you’d get a minor or a major, I can’t remember which one (that’s the bit I’m not sure about being true). 

I always thought that was really bloody stupid. I get that your driving test is to test your perception of the road, how you handle it and how you can control the car, but surely it’s just common sense to teach people that drivers, by and large, will help each other out where necessary and you can still be safe and cautious whilst acting on information given to you by others on the road. 

Yes that's probably true. Junctions like the one I was at (I'd illustrate it if I knew how) are not conducive to road safety. I can only hope they'd not use it in a driving test, because it's straight from the ministry for crap design.

Geriatrics in cars. Seems to have been a day of octogenarians driving to garden centres unable to get above 28mph, unable to anticipate any kind of hazard or complete any manoeuvre smoothly. Pulling out of the garden centre exit without so much of a glance in either direction causing me to decelerate and brake then get stuck behind them until they turn off to go to Morrison's.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Parafox said:

Geriatrics in cars. Seems to have been a day of octogenarians driving to garden centres unable to get above 28mph, unable to anticipate any kind of hazard or complete any manoeuvre smoothly. Pulling out of the garden centre exit without so much of a glance in either direction causing me to decelerate and brake then get stuck behind them until they turn off to go to Morrison's.

Big problems in the future with this.

Ageing population. 

Over reliance on cars due to housing and where facilities are.

5 minutes ago, adam1 said:

Big problems in the future with this.

Ageing population. 

Over reliance on cars due to housing and where facilities are.

You have a point. I imagine years ago when most people didn't have cars there would have been all variety of shops within a bus ride or walking distance where you could buy pretty much all the essentials you needed on one street.

Now we have the mighty supermarkets and massive out of town shopping centres as well as doctors that don't do home visits or aren't local to small communities. Maybe the rise in home shopping will be a factor. I just think the need for a car for social, domestic and pleasure purposes will be forever a thing. How else will the ageing populace get to a National Trust property.

Cyclists with no lights or reflective clothing.

Now the mornings are getting darker and the nights are drawing In, do they realise how vulnerable they are?  This is as well as often being on the wrong side of the road or unpredictably joining the road from the pavement or shooting red lights at junctions and crossings. 

All in all not a good mix. 

Most seem to be teenagers who probably have spent upwards of £600 on a mobile phone or around £ 30 a month on a contract. 

Front and rear led rechargeable lights £25

Hi viz  builders type vest £4.

Preventing an accident  - priceless. 

@Parafox has no doubt attended a few. 

Edited by woollett the bullet

More middle lane drivers on M1. Drive home from work today was worse than usual. Got on and lorry's were spread across the first three lanes and after getting in front of them just car after car of people sat in the middle lane :mad:

41 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

More middle lane drivers on M1. Drive home from work today was worse than usual. Got on and lorry's were spread across the first three lanes and after getting in front of them just car after car of people sat in the middle lane :mad:

I go on about this a lot, but it's absolutely infuriating. 

In the last 3 weeks, the M1 in Northamptonshire has been an absolute nightmare for being stuck in traffic, no doubt these idiots are big contributors to it.

So glad I don't have to drive on there daily anymore.

• Like 1