Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

10 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

I don't think there is.  I believe it's just that it's been adopted alongside 999 because it's commonly used outside in Europe

That's right, it's a unified pan-European emergency code.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, deejdeej said:

Does right of way even exist anymore? Some of the dirty looks and grief you get when you don't let somebody pull into your lane etc.

I take pleasure in not letting someone merge when they've raced up the side of the traffic to the last possible point to try and cut the queue and muscle in. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

I take pleasure in not letting someone merge when they've raced up the side of the traffic to the last possible point to try and cut the queue and muscle in. 

That happened to me last week on the way into central Manchester. An Audi raced up the outside past several vehicles but didn't have enough space to get by me, but as it slowed down, the car behind me had caught up and stopped the Audi from coming in, and the car behind that and, I suspect, the car behind that. Glorious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ALC Fox said:

That happened to me last week on the way into central Manchester. An Audi raced up the outside past several vehicles but didn't have enough space to get by me, but as it slowed down, the car behind me had caught up and stopped the Audi from coming in, and the car behind that and, I suspect, the car behind that. Glorious.

You'll no doubt have experienced trucks moving over to block off these annoying self important twats.

15 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Just let them in, it makes for a much more relaxed journey. 

I do. And you're right but it does seem to be a certain type of driver that pushes it and it can be very annoying and it also adds to the length of any subsequent delay as the lane being merged into has to keep braking to avoid contact with these arrogant drivers and that results in unnecessary restrictions in the flow of traffic. 

41 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Just let them in, it makes for a much more relaxed journey. 

I do as well. I don't let it get my goat or anything. I used to let it get to me but, you're right, it's much less stressful (and therefore safer) just to let them in.

If the Audi would have had enough room, I wouldn't have moved over to stop it. It was just nice to see their selfishness end up unrewarded in this case :D

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Parafox said:

You'll no doubt have experienced trucks moving over to block off these annoying self important twats.

It is fun when that happens.

I try to be calm and relaxed myself now, and just let people in even if they’re twats, but it is very satisfying when a lorry shuffles over a few feet to stop them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deejdeej said:

The placing of signs/bollards next to mini roundabouts, completely blocking your view of whether cars coming the other way are indicating or not.

Yep, I know that one! Here in France, people can seemingly just stick up signs as they like, advertising local goings-on etc.

Yes, wonderful, there's a choucroute evening in ArseEnd-sur-PiddleCreek in a months time but, just now, I'd much rather see the oncoming traffic. 

Edited by drumbeat
damned keyboard keeps switching to French
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, drumbeat said:

Aren't you supposed to use the full length of a merge lane? I mean, isn't that the idea? And then to merge, zipper like, into the main lane?

It baffles me when people don't do it. When they slow, and stop, a couple of hundred metres short, indicating to pull in. And I really don't get the uptightedness of people who refuse to let someone merge in. 

But then I haven't driven in the UK for several years. Maybe everyone is uptight these days and it's just what goes.

I hate it.  If there's still road, use it, and don't get mad at the sane people following the highway code instead of queuing for the sake of it.

• Like 3

Driving back from Northumberland to Hinckley. Loads of slow traffic heading south, caravans and campers hindering the A1, which is bad enough. Got onto the M1 and all was well, then we hit a complete closure at J29-28. Had to detour via B roads around Chesterfield along with everyone else. Crawling along in the queue on A and B roads and some twat in a white van decides he's going to overtake me. He pulls out and gets alongside then realises he can't make it and tries to pull back. There's no gap behind me for him to pull into, so he get's head to head with a car coming in the opposite direction. Fortunately they both are able to stop and avoid a collision. Just WTF was he thinking?

Driving along a road with double yellow lines earlier and there's a car stopped on them. Obviously shouldn't be, but it is. The guys sat at the wheel. I stopped as a car was coming the other way, so let that past before I went round him. No sooner was I passed him, he pulled off and was driving along behind me. Why did he just drive off whilst I was waiting to go round? :frusty:

Oh and at least three times recently have people in front of me gave way to the left on an mini roundabout. Including one guy who slammed his brakes on halfway round and let someone go. That's not how roundabouts work! :frusty:

Edited by Facecloth

4 hours ago, Parafox said:

Driving back from Northumberland to Hinckley. Loads of slow traffic heading south, caravans and campers hindering the A1, which is bad enough. Got onto the M1 and all was well, then we hit a complete closure at J29-28. Had to detour via B roads around Chesterfield along with everyone else. 

I was stuck in that closure for hours, I never got to the wedding I was booked to play at as a result.

• Sad 1

On 17/09/2021 at 14:10, drumbeat said:

Aren't you supposed to use the full length of a merge lane? I mean, isn't that the idea? And then to merge, zipper like, into the main lane?

It baffles me when people don't do it. When they slow, and stop, a couple of hundred metres short, indicating to pull in. And I really don't get the uptightedness of people who refuse to let someone merge in. 

But then I haven't driven in the UK for several years. Maybe everyone is uptight these days and it's just what goes.

Yes, there are even signs on some of them encouraging/reminding you to use both lanes when it's busy. 

Also It annoys me when it says a lane closure in 800 yds on the motorway for road works and people are indicating to get in like they're going to drive over a cliff edge! These people end up blocking that lane too. Just drive to the closure where there will be diagonal cones and filter in turn by turn. 

It's the UK mentality of 'better have an orderly queue' that riles people I think. People seem happy to sit an extra 10 mins in queue than use a lane there for the purpose of reducing congestion. 

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I was stuck in that closure for hours, I never got to the wedding I was booked to play at as a result.

What do you play?...centre midfield?😁

Seriously though what do you play? I must have missed it.