Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

2 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Luckily I filled my car up the Monday before it all kicked off and worked from home all that week, then last week I was at some training closer to home so full tank lasted me about 2 weeks

I was able to stroll up to my local tesco petrol station at about 9pm on Saturday with only a few other cars around and fill my tank up

Sounds like you started the whole thing to me.

Unbelievable.

Looks like we're pretty much back to normal up here, no queues anywhere that I've seen in the past 3 days. Thought it may have been because it was the weekend but seems to be fine today. Managed to finally fill up yesterday after refusing to join a queue since the panic buying began. Luckily I don't need the car much at the minute so was able to limit use. 

The big BP petrol station near Market Harborough was dry late this morning when I drove in, and a small one on the A47 near me only had diesel.

On the way to MH, I noticed a sign saying 'Expect the unexpected'. But if the unexpected is expected, then it's not unexpected, it's expected. That means nothing is unexpected, so nothing is expected. That logic rather undermines the intention of the sign!

Think I was flashed twice doing 81 on the M6 between the M69 and M42 (both ways) this weekend.

Was the usual 70 limit and yeah I know I was going above 70 but flashed at 81, really?

Didn't think those cameras bothered unless you were doing 85+ but hey ho, will have to take the medicine if it comes.

18 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I overtook someone in a totally legitimate way. I got the willy puller signal from the passenger. What is wrong with some people?

18 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

How long do you have?

Are you implying HighPeakFox might need a willy puller?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Think I was flashed twice doing 81 on the M6 between the M69 and M42 (both ways) this weekend.

Was the usual 70 limit and yeah I know I was going above 70 but flashed at 81, really?

Didn't think those cameras bothered unless you were doing 85+ but hey ho, will have to take the medicine if it comes.

If you were doing an indicated 81 then you should be fine, would have only been doing 74 or 75 in reality I think?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I discovered today that when my car says I'm doing 75, I'm actually doing 70.

The actual has to be under what the speedo says by law because it can never under report so if you're doing 75 , it's illigal for it to say 70 on the speedo, plus i think they are supposed to be nearer to the true speed when the tyres are almost worn out beacuse of the bigger diameter when they're new.

I was driving back from the Newcastle game the other year at night, driving like a bit of a fool at over 90, when all of a sudden the whole car lit up. Thought, shit that's me done, and spent 6 weeks panicing, even going home at dinner to check if a summons had come through, nothing materialised and a few weeks later i found out my son had sent a message from the back of the car to my phone which was set to flash for notifications, which was what i'd assumed to be a speed camera. That'll teach you to slow down was all he said when i found out. Good prank though.

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

If you were doing an indicated 81 then you should be fine, would have only been doing 74 or 75 in reality I think?

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I discovered today that when my car says I'm doing 75, I'm actually doing 70.

Why would it flash though if it thought it was actually doing mid 70s? I suspect they wouldn't prosecute for that.

Keeping fingers crossed obviously there was an error with the cameras...

3 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

As I said in earlier post, I think they're set at 77mph and if your speedo said 81mph then you were probably doing 77mph so you unfortunately might have set them off. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Collymore said:

As I said in earlier post, I think they're set at 77mph and if your speedo said 81mph then you were probably doing 77mph so you unfortunately might have set them off. 

Done that stretch many times, usually at night, and sometimes at a higher speed, yet never a flash.

Thought I'd be safe low 80s - especially when it's pretty empty - but maybe they've changed their settings.

Or perhaps the camera thought it might be a temporary 60 (which it wasn't).

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Done that stretch many times, usually at night, and sometimes at a higher speed, yet never a flash.

Thought I'd be safe low 80s - especially when it's pretty empty - but maybe they've changed their settings.

Or perhaps the camera thought it might be a temporary 60 (which it wasn't).

It would be harsh as I'd imagine a traffic police car wouldn't batter an eyelid at low 80s. 

When you said flashed twice, do you mean by the same camera or separate cameras on the same journey? 

4 minutes ago, Collymore said:

It would be harsh as I'd imagine a traffic police car wouldn't batter an eyelid at low 80s. 

When you said flashed twice, do you mean by the same camera or separate cameras on the same journey? 

There was a flash coming home from Brum early hours Sunday morning (which admittedly I didn't think could be for me because of the speed I was doing) and a flash heading back the other way to Brum 9pm Sunday night, not in exactly the same spot but within a 5-10 mile stretch. And it was that second one which made me think: Hey maybe they were flashing me the previous night, too.

It's messed with my head a bit but I keep telling myself to control the controllables and wait and see.

3 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

There was a flash coming home from Brum early hours Sunday morning (which admittedly I didn't think could be for me because of the speed I was doing) and a flash heading back the other way to Brum 9pm Sunday night, not in exactly the same spot but within a 5-10 mile stretch. And it was that second one which made me think: Hey maybe they were flashing me the previous night, too.

It's messed with my head a bit but I keep telling myself to control the controllables and wait and see.

Yeah wait and see. I think they have one month by law to contact you from the date of the offence and if you haven't received anything by then, you're ok. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/driving-law/speed-camera-tolerances

Found this and it seems a lot of forces use 10% + 2mph so 79mph is what would likely set it off.

That would look like more or less 85mph on your speedo. 

Hopefully it was someone else or like you've said the cameras were not calibrated properly and it'll just be binned. Sounds likely if you've done the same speed before and been fine. 

• Like 1

They aren't being entirely truthful when they suggest that fuel is readily available in the North of England.

I did Glasgow to Manchester and back on Sunday.  

By Sunday early evening, most of the pumps at M6 Forton (S) were covered.

M61 (S) Rivendale had diesel but no petrol in the three pumps that I checked before driving off.

Asda Petrol Station at Horwich was coned off entirely.

I eventually found some just outside central Manchester, but I was starting to sweat.

Goodness knows what it's like down in London and the SE.

4 hours ago, Vacamion said:

They aren't being entirely truthful when they suggest that fuel is readily available in the North of England.

I did Glasgow to Manchester and back on Sunday.  

By Sunday early evening, most of the pumps at M6 Forton (S) were covered.

M61 (S) Rivendale had diesel but no petrol in the three pumps that I checked before driving off.

Asda Petrol Station at Horwich was coned off entirely.

I eventually found some just outside central Manchester, but I was starting to sweat.

Goodness knows what it's like down in London and the SE.

I have never understood why people buy fuel on motorways, but I guess if life is spent bombing up and downs those roads, it's the only option.

2 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Has anyone driven as an Uber before? I thought I'd give it a go whilst out of work but its asking me for a Private Hire Driver Licence. I can't seem to figure out how to gain one of those, any ideas?

You apply through your local council.

14 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Plagued by tossers recently who either fail to notice me giving way, or choose not to acknowledge it - is it so hard to do? 

Evidently, it's asking too much.

This observation comes up regularly on here. It's basically down to ignorance and poor manners, I think.

It's very irritating but my response it to give them the middle finger as they go by. Mind you I did that to one guy and he turned around and chased me down then gave me the willy puller gesture.

I wonder if those same people wouldn't say "thanks" if you held a door open for them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

This observation comes up regularly on here. It's basically down to ignorance and poor manners, I think.

It's very irritating but my response it to give them the middle finger as they go by. Mind you I did that to one guy and he turned around and chased me down then gave me the willy puller gesture.

I wonder if those same people wouldn't say "thanks" if you held a door open for them. 

I think that some people view courtesy and giving way as a weakness. 

• Like 1

Isn't road rage such a weird thing. I've seen so many drivers lose their sh*t over things in the car. The kind of people that if you met in person at the supermarket or down the pub, would be nice as pie and you could never imagine them being aggressive or sweary.

Something about the security of being in a vehicle that makes certain people lose their heads so often whereas in person in real life it would be ignored or brushed off.

7 hours ago, Parafox said:

I wonder if those same people wouldn't say "thanks" if you held a door open for them

I do think the issue of not acknowledging giving way is overexaggerated on here.  I would say 7 or 8 in 10 people would acknowledge and sometimes these odd one or two were just miles away and forgot.  It has happened to me on couple of occasions but majority of time I will acknowledge my thanks.