Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

11 hours ago, Dunge said:

As I understand it, it’s legal to undertake as long as you’re not doing it recklessly.

I thought it was illegal but I do it when I feel it's safe to do it. I can't be doing with people just sat in the middle lane, even more so when they're doing about 60.

I know I shouldn't do it but sometimes I can't get all the way across and overtake.

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

I thought it was illegal but I do it when I feel it's safe to do it. I can't be doing with people just sat in the middle lane, even more so when they're doing about 60.

I know I shouldn't do it but sometimes I can't get all the way across and overtake.

I may be wrong but I don’t think it’s legal.

I don’t do it because I never feel it’s safe to do it - if someone’s oblivious enough to plod along in the middle lane at 55 for absolutely no reason then they’re oblivious enough to lurch into the left lane without looking just as I’m going past them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

34 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

I may be wrong but I don’t think it’s legal.

I don’t do it because I never feel it’s safe to do it - if someone’s oblivious enough to plod along in the middle lane at 55 for absolutely no reason then they’re oblivious enough to lurch into the left lane without looking just as I’m going past them.

It is perfectly legal in certain circumstances:

1) When driving in multi-lane carriageways in congested conditions where the traffic in the outside lanes is moving more slowly than the traffic to the left.

2) When a vehicle in the outside lane is turning right.

Overtaking on the left under the circumstances you have described is illegal and contravenes the Highway Code.

Edited by Buce

15 minutes ago, Buce said:

It is perfectly legal in certain circumstances:

1) When driving in multi-lane carriageways in congested conditions where the traffic in the outside lanes is moving more slowly than the traffic to the left.

2) When a vehicle in the outside lane is turning right.

Overtaking on the left under the circumstances you have described is illegal and contravenes the Highway Code.

I'm sure you're right. I'm also sure that the middle lane snoozers are also contravening the Highway Code and (in my experience) always get away with it - truly the driving equivalent of 'I'm entitled to my opinion'.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'm sure you're right. I'm also sure that the middle lane snoozers are also contravening the Highway Code and (in my experience) always get away with it - truly the driving equivalent of 'I'm entitled to my opinion'.

One of the driving equivalents of it - it could be argued that those who undertake them represent another!

Just now, Phil Bowman said:

One of the driving equivalents of it - it could be argued that those who undertake them represent another!

It could, but I would have a great deal more sympathy for those that do - sometimes it reduces the inconvenience for others, especially if the fast overtaking lane is busy.

Those that undertake routinely, and at speed, are a somewhat different matter.

11 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

You are correct.

They are committing the offence of Careless Driving.

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

I thought undertaking was one of the carefully worded ones where the HC says not to do it but it isn't technically illegal.  Might be thinking of a different rule.

It is one of those grey areas that are open to the interpretation of the copper that sees you.

Whilst not an offence itself, it can be interpreted as Careless or  even Dangerous Driving.

Just booked myself in for a Speed Awareness Course on Zoom in October. 2hrs 45 mins. Anyone have any experience of what they're like. I've heard they're actually quite interesting/useful? (I even heard fun...)

(50 in a 40 on a mobile camera whilst tootling on a dead road in a village in Lincolnshire, so annoyed I didn't spot it sooner.)

Annoying one this morning - all I'll say is it's a good job I was in a good mood this morning or I would have lost it.

There's two lanes that come off of a roundabout on to the A5, I'm in the right lane of the 2, slightly ahead of me in the left lane is one skip lorry and behind him in is a second skip lorry, but I am a good couple of car lengths ahead of him. Second skip lorry then decides to purposely put his foot down to stop me naturally merging in front of him and behind his 'mate' (they were both from the same company).

I literally don't get it! I was going at the same speed as them both and neither of us would have had to slow down or speed up to just continue and merge naturally however this c**k decided he had to try and stop me being able to do so, for what reason I don't know. In the end his 'mate' in skip lorry one ahead stopped completely to let me go ahead of him because he could see I had nowhere to go.

At a loss for words sometimes with other drivers.

At a lights on a slight incline to get out of an industrial centre car park and in the lane to my right there's this old guy in a golf who's not only driven all the way into the cycle box but is using his clutch instead of his brakes and keeps edging forward for the entire time we're on a red.  By the time it finally turned green half his car was already beyond the lights.  Who lets these people out?

8 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Got in a bit of an altercation with a total pleb at matlock today. Lucky my little girl was with me, behaviour like that is not cool over a silly dog (actual canine) in a parking spot. I nearly went mach 10, had to really, really hold my temper. 

I'm sorry I can't make heads nor tails of this.

2 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Just booked myself in for a Speed Awareness Course on Zoom in October. 2hrs 45 mins. Anyone have any experience of what they're like. I've heard they're actually quite interesting/useful? (I even heard fun...) (50 in a 40 on a mobile camera whilst tootling on a dead road in a village in Lincolnshire, so annoyed I didn't spot it sooner.)

Most people seem to complain about them but I went on one about 3-4 years ago and found it incredibly interesting and learned loads.

Made me think a lot and I've driven more carefully since. (Not perfectly but a lot better).

Do it with an open mind: "I'm here to learn" rather than "I'm being punished here."

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Most people seem to complain about them but I went on one about 3-4 years ago and found it incredibly interesting and learned loads.

Made me think a lot and I've driven more carefully since. (Not perfectly but a lot better).

Do it with an open mind: "I'm here to learn" rather than "I'm being punished here."

Same as my experience. And it's a shorter course with the benefit of it being on zoom. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Yeah I was the same! 

Still pissed off I got caught doing 35mph in a 4 lane carriageway with a 30mph speed limit because the limit on that stretch of road still makes zero sense. It's one of those, some idiot walked in front of a bus and died so now everyone has to go at a snails pace on a road that was built to go faster.

But the course was interesting non the less.

One of the best things about owning a Tesla is when people (especially young lads in boy racers) try and edge out or ahead of you at double laned traffic lights to get in front or merge ahead of you. 

Quick floor of the pedal and they're 100ft behind me, then zooming up to my rear bumper once I slow back down to the speed limit. Never fails to make me laugh looking at them glaring at me in the rear view mirror. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, The Bear said:

One of the best things about owning a Tesla is when people (especially young lads in boy racers) try and edge out or ahead of you at double laned traffic lights to get in front or merge ahead of you. 

Quick floor of the pedal and they're 100ft behind me, then zooming up to my rear bumper once I slow back down to the speed limit. Never fails to make me laugh looking at them glaring at me in the rear view mirror. 

So you drive like a dickhead because you own a Tesla?  Ok. 

Edit to clarify:  Instead of getting insecure about someone wanting to pass you, let them go and don't be a deliberate obstacle.  You never know when the other person's a bit of a maniac and might respond dangerously.

Edited by Carl the Llama
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm not saying I do it very often. Only when someone is being particularly impatient or has tried to cut ahead of me further back down the road. 

I find with how smooth electric cars are, they make me drive much more leisurely that I used to on the whole. There are no revs to hear or see on the dials, so you are almost disconnected from the idea of an engine and gears. You just glide along. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

So you drive like a dickhead because you own a Tesla?  Ok. 

Edit to clarify:  Instead of getting insecure about someone wanting to pass you, let them go and don't be a deliberate obstacle.  You never know when the other person's a bit of a maniac and might respond dangerously.

I try to take the view that I’d rather an idiot driver was gone on their merry way and well away from me than behind me, pissed off with me and desperate to get past. The further they are from me the better.

Edited by Phil Bowman

9 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

I try to take the view that I’d rather an idiot driver was gone on their merry way and well away from me than behind me, pissed off with me and desperate to get past. The further they are from me the better.

My sentiment entirely.