Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

12 minutes ago, The Bear said:

What would happen if we switched to a German Autobahn system where there were no speed limits? 

Are English drivers good enough to cope with such a change or would it be carnage? 

I'll pose this question on my Motorway speed awareness course that I've got to do lol

I got caught doing 64 on the average speed cameras on the M1 where they've been doing roadworks for what seems like 14 years.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

I'll pose this question on my Motorway speed awareness course that I've got to do lol

I got caught doing 64 on the average speed cameras on the M1 where they've been doing roadworks for what seems like 14 years.

Isn't that a 50 zone? Bit of a silly mistake to make. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Your own car or the Amazon van, which I thought was restricted to 60mph?

4 hours ago, The Bear said:

Isn't that a 50 zone? Bit of a silly mistake to make. 

3 hours ago, tom27111 said:

No, it's 60

In my experience, most roadworks on the motorways have a 50 mph limit governed by average speed cameras.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Parafox said:

8 minutes ago, Parafox said:

In my experience, most roadworks on the motorways have a 50 mph limit governed by average speed cameras.

Definitely a 60 zone. It's the stretch from J16 to about J14 where they're "upgrading to smart motorway".

Most of the Amazon vans are limited to 70, some will hit about 76, some are totally unrestricted (by mistake I presume).

Then the agency needs extra vans, so rents from somewhere like Enterprise, which are obviously unrestricted. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Was driving behind someone the other day who was doing 30 in a 50. I got close enough to see her eyes constantly looking downwards in her rear view mirror, clearly on her phone. Infuriates me the amount of people I see on their phones. It’s probably worse now with texting, at least when people used to have a phone to their ear they’d still be able to see the road.

23 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I should add to my earlier answer that Amazon have an app which is compulsory to log in to every morning that you're driving the van. 

It tracks everything you do, even knows if you've used your phone whilst driving.

You get a score each day, if it's consistently low, they'll get rid of you.

Whilst I’m here… there’s roadworks on the a46 approaching Binley. The right lane closes so the dual carriageway goes to one. I’m usually in the left lane, happy to queue. So many people get to the sign that says right lane closes in 800 yards and decide that’s the point to stop and cut into the left lane. Surely if both lanes are used the traffic flows better? There’s then the people that decide to make it difficult for people filtering in as the lane closes, as though the people in the right lane utilising the whole road are doing something wrong. There’s then those that think they’re doing some sort of service by crawling in the right lane and not allowing traffic to flow.

People are stupid.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tom27111 said:

They drop the speed to 60mph but in reality, if you’ve ever stood at the side of a motorway at night with traffic doing that speed, it’s still bloody scary. 

Certain sections are 50mph. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trumpet said:

Whilst I’m here… there’s roadworks on the a46 approaching Binley. The right lane closes so the dual carriageway goes to one. I’m usually in the left lane, happy to queue. So many people get to the sign that says right lane closes in 800 yards and decide that’s the point to stop and cut into the left lane. Surely if both lanes are used the traffic flows better? There’s then the people that decide to make it difficult for people filtering in as the lane closes, as though the people in the right lane utilising the whole road are doing something wrong. There’s then those that think they’re doing some sort of service by crawling in the right lane and not allowing traffic to flow.

People are stupid.

Spot on.

Pre covid, post covid somethings never change.

M1 just outside of M25 heading north.

Lane 1. Empty

Lane 2. Empty

Lane 3. Full for as far as I can see and doing 60

Lane 4. Full for as far as I can see and doing 60.

Lane 1. 70mph. Sod the no passing on the left.

• Like 3

Beggars lane between New Lubbesthorpe and Next head offices.

Drivers seem to think it's safe to position themselves really far away from the kerb, and make half-hearted attempts to move over when you're coming in the opposite direction. Either they're frit to death or have no spatial awareness. There's loads who trundle along that route at 30mph as well. It's by no means a 60 all the way with the bends, but find fourth gear!

On 08/08/2021 at 21:49, adam1 said:

Pre covid, post covid somethings never change.

M1 just outside of M25 heading north.

Lane 1. Empty

Lane 2. Empty

Lane 3. Full for as far as I can see and doing 60

Lane 4. Full for as far as I can see and doing 60.

Lane 1. 70mph. Sod the no passing on the left.

Some people would rather spend their entire journeys stressed and constantly jockeying for position to reach their destination as quickly as possible instead of using the road properly. But if it was used properly, everyone would get there more quickly. Beggars belief.

3 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Beggars lane between New Lubbesthorpe and Next head offices.

Drivers seem to think it's safe to position themselves really far away from the kerb, and make half-hearted attempts to move over when you're coming in the opposite direction. Either they're frit to death or have no spatial awareness. There's loads who trundle along that route at 30mph as well. It's by no means a 60 all the way with the bends, but find fourth gear!

Especially as that road is narrow in places as well.

5 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Too many idiots cut in across the lane turning into Stonesby Av coming down Glenhills Blvd on the Pork Pie roundabout.  Instead of going straight, they turn in on the right at the last second and head up Stonesby Av off the ring road.  Crazy.

This is terrifying when you're on a bike. Twice when in Leicester I've nearly been taken out by people in the left hand lane turning right into my path. There are even road markings telling you that it is straight on only ffs. 

• Like 2

People who park on opposite sides of the road on narrow streets.

Loads of it today in Atherstone. 

Only just squeezed my van through.

God forbid anyone ever needs a fire engine around there, no chance.

Edit...is this something you saw a lot of in your ambulances @Parafox?

What did you do in those circumstances?

Edited by tom27111

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

People who park on opposite sides of the road on narrow streets.

Loads of it today in Atherstone. 

Only just squeezed my van through.

God forbid anyone ever needs a fire engine around there, no chance.

Edit...is this something you saw a lot of in your ambulances @Parafox?

What did you do in those circumstances?

Yes, it's happened a few times and we have waited in the road with the sirens and lights on until someone comes out to see what's going on. Otherwise we park down the road if possible and walk to the patient, then move the ambulance closer and completely block the road. I've had notes left on the windscreen accusing me of preventing someone getting to wherever they were going and/or making them late for work.

I was at a cardiac arrest once and someone knocked on the family's door and remonstrated with the relative demanding we move the ambulance as he had a meeting to get to! He was told by my colleague just what he could do with his meeting.

TBF generally, people will either wait patiently or turn around and find an alternative.

I have heard of fire crews bouncing cars out of the way, although they do have hoses that can reach a pretty long way.

• Like 3

When you're coming up to a mini roundabout, but have a restricted view of what's coming up on your right and have to really focus on what's coming from that direction. But plot twist, there's a group of young girls waiting to cross the road that you're paying so much attention to and you feel like a dirty pervert even though you're just trying not to crash lol