Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jimmy

West Brom pre-match thread

now I think that's a tad melodramatic Ealing....

I'm just yankin' your chain there harpy, I'm not even going up Saturday! Cambiasso smiling after he missed that chance was me done for the season.

And +1s from Harry LCFC and Larry LCFC? What's next, Barry LCFC and Garry LCFC?

4-3-3 doesn't appeal in the slightest to me. Does not work with this group of players. If Vardy played effectively out on the left he'd be almost playing as a striker anyway and if you've got Mahrez on the right cutting in then it's almost become like a diamond.

I don't get why we continue to want to play to match the opposition. Play to beat them - put them on the back foot and give them something to worry about. Do people really think West Brom are going to completely dominate the game if they play 4-3-3 and we play 4-4-2? We made 4-4-2 work last year and we can do again. I just don't think we've been using the right personnel.

I've got two dilemmas. One is midfield. I think it's time to play Drinkwater & James as a two again. They bring the best out of each other. However, this means again we'll be leaving out Andy King and he's got to be knocking on the door. Something just tells me though that King and Drinkwater + King and James wouldn't work and I don't know if King's inclusion is worth changing formation for. Unluckily for him I'd go with DD/MJ.

The other is the forwards. It's a similar scenario - I want to see Vardy & Ulloa as they're our best two forwards, but do they play that well together? I suppose it's yet to be tested behind the midfield that I'd want to play for this game.

Mahrez on the left and Albrighton on the right, for me. Not going to explain that one for a fiftieth time.

Schmeichel

Simpson - Morgan - Moore - Konchesky

Albrighton - James - Drinkwater - Mahrez

Ulloa - Vardy

4-3-3 doesn't appeal in the slightest to me. Does not work with this group of players. If Vardy played effectively out on the left he'd be almost playing as a striker anyway and if you've got Mahrez on the right cutting in then it's almost become like a diamond.

I don't get why we continue to want to play to match the opposition. Play to beat them - put them on the back foot and give them something to worry about. Do people really think West Brom are going to completely dominate the game if they play 4-3-3 and we play 4-4-2? We made 4-4-2 work last year and we can do again. I just don't think we've been using the right personnel.

I've got two dilemmas. One is midfield. I think it's time to play Drinkwater & James as a two again. They bring the best out of each other. However, this means again we'll be leaving out Andy King and he's got to be knocking on the door. Something just tells me though that King and Drinkwater + King and James wouldn't work and I don't know if King's inclusion is worth changing formation for. Unluckily for him I'd go with DD/MJ.

The other is the forwards. It's a similar scenario - I want to see Vardy & Ulloa as they're our best two forwards, but do they play that well together? I suppose it's yet to be tested behind the midfield that I'd want to play for this game.

Mahrez on the left and Albrighton on the right, for me. Not going to explain that one for a fiftieth time.

Schmeichel

Simpson - Morgan - Moore - Konchesky

Albrighton - James - Drinkwater - Mahrez

Ulloa - Vardy

I'd be happy with this, although I'd have King in for Drinkwater.

I'd also be tempted to put Knocky in for Albrighton, because I think he really struggles mentally coming off the bench, where Albrighton probably doesn't. That might seem perverse logic, but would be interesting to see him start at home...

Had a rethink - Can't get the James/DD partnership out my head - I think Cambiasso or Hammond have to be in front of our back 4 and I think Mahrez and King deserve to be in the team on current form ... Had gone for Simpson as RB before but I think RDL offers more going forward and we'll need that if we're losing one of the wingers.

Kasper,

DeLaet, Morgan, Moore, Konchesky,

Cambiasso,

Mahrez   Drinkwater  James   

Vardy or King.

Ulloa,

Obviously will leave us a tiny bit narrow - will allow either King or Vardy to drift left at times but I'd love the pace of Vardy running at defences rather than acting as a traditional winger (which he isn't)

Subs Vardy or King (whichever isn't playing "in the hole") - Smith, Tony K, Nugent, Wasyl, Powell, Simpson 

4-3-1-2

KASPER

SIMPSON

MORGAN

MOORE

KONCH

KING

ESTEBAN

JAMES

RIYAD (Free roaming)

VARDY

ULLOA

DON'T SHOUT!!

But also, that's fine as a team if we play on a strip down the middle of the pitch. Otherwise you've got Simpson and Konch providing all our width, and Palace took the piss out of that formation even when we were on form.

If you've got 3 CMs you only get one striker, otherwise we're horribly overpowered...

Archived