Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bettsj2

Nugent

Up until the last two or three games Nuge has looked like a guy who was starting to think he couldn't cut it at the top level but especially with strikers it's a confidence thing. He's had a good spell over Christmas, the goal today will do wonders and it's up to him to show he's got enough to stay in.

Not true.

In his role, behind the lone striker, he needs to add goals and assists. Apart from today, he has done neither this season.

Eriksen, David Silva, Coutinho, oscar, naismith, tadic, cazorla.....just a few of the players in our league which play in a similar position to nuge.

Now of course, as a newly promoted side we don't have the quality of the other sides....But with the exception of naismith, none work as hard as nugent, but they score and assist more goals.

Nuge needs to step up now. Mahrez, schlupp and ulloa have been brilliant thus far, and they need his help.

1) 'Eriksen, David Silva, Coutinho, oscar, naismith, tadic, cazorla.....just a few of the players in our league which play in a similar position to nuge.' --- They're also worth a few tens of millions worth than Nuge. All the players you listed are either world class or just a step below. We are unlikely to ever have players of that quality unless we uncover some diamond in our youth setup, which makes this part completely invalid.

2) Just because he doesn't always play the assist himself does not mean he is not a key part of the build up. If he plays a brilliant ball in to, say, Vardy who plays an easy square to Ulloa then Vardy will be credited the assist but mostly it was Nugent's play and awareness that caused the play to happen in the first place.

Personally I think you're being ignorant of his real contribution for the sake of not being wrong. It's clear he has more to his game than goal scoring and that's been proved in the parts evident in the games we have been successful in.

But once in 20 games isn't good enough Col.

Schlupp has been criticised on here for 'not having a brain' and 'not being a proffessional footballer'.....but this is his first season as a regular playing on the wing, and has 3 goals and more than 3 assists.

Mahrez another who is labelled 'wasteful' and 'inconsistent', but is at times the only quality player on either side of the field.

Nuge is far more experienced than the above 2 players, and plays in a far more advanced roles. He should assist and score more goals than them aswell, but thus far he hasn't.

My criticism of him has never been unjust, but based upon facts and statistics. Ulloa, Schlupp, Mahrez and even Vardy (who has also been poor) have won us more points this season than Nuge. But with the AFCON approaching we will now see what nugent can give us....he owes us afterall.

Mahrez gets nothing but near enough exclusive praise on here.

It is interesting you name all those multi million pound players as examples of what Nugent should be doing when Courtinho also has 2 goals Oscar has a grand total 3 Carzola 4 and have all played considerably more for teams in the top half of the table. I'd give up while your still just woefully behind.

Thought he was great today. Regardless of the goal which was top quality, we looked much better when he came on. Vardy was totally isolated until Nugent came on- linked the attack and midfield well and his work rate was sensational. Well done Nugent

I think Nugent has had an impact in all games since Villa away. We clearly play better with him in the team, and he has also got more out of Schlupp and Mahrez.

Agreed. It's as if Nuge, or someone close to him, has said, what the hell, this may be the last chance I get in the Prem, lets give it a go and see what happens. Before Villa I don't think he believed. Now I think he does. In the Champ he used to score in clumps. More of the same please David

Mahrez gets nothing but near enough exclusive praise on here.

It is interesting you name all those multi million pound players as examples of what Nugent should be doing when Courtinho also has 2 goals Oscar has a grand total 3 Carzola 4 and have all played considerably more for teams in the top half of the table. I'd give up while your still just woefully behind.

Nugent should be doing way more than he is.

Nugent should be doing way more than he is.

For a player who most agree struggles in this league he is doing remarkably well, Nugent is not in the team to score 20 goals he's there to link attack and midfield and like it or not we have picked up nearly all of our points up this season when he has played a key part and have lost the lion share of those in which he has been left out.

For a player who most agree struggles in this league he is doing remarkably well, Nugent is not in the team to score 20 goals he's there to link attack and midfield and like it or not we have picked up nearly all of our points up this season when he has played a key part and have lost the lion share of those in which he has been left out.

How you can honestly say Nuge is doing 'remarkably well' but still have doubts about schlupp is amazing.

I don't understand this Nugent argument. He was doing the same thing last year in the Championship as he is this year in the Prem. Such an intelligent player, wins free kicks, slows the game down when it is needed and 90% of the time makes the correct decision in the final third. In addition, he has a great work rate BUT he knows how to use his energy well and not run around like a headless chicken. Okay he isn't the most prolific striker at the club, but he is definitely the most efficient. Him in a CF role and Ulloa up front is our best partnership imo

How you can honestly say Nuge is doing 'remarkably well' but still have doubts about schlupp is amazing.

It's speaking relatively, as a player who is not renound for being a deeper striker or being good enouh for the Premeir League. As I say we've taken a lot of points from games he's played in and his contribution is understated by the likes of you.

If you take the last few weeks out Schlupp has been largely ineffective, although to give him his due's he's put in to "remarkable" performances for a player of his stature in the last 3 games.

Excellent finish.

One goal hasn't blinded me from the opinion that he is a Championship player with very few Premier League qualities.

Years ago Di Canio won goal of the season with something similar but yes if only Nuge could do it more often in Premiership

It does make my laugh 

"why can't he be like this every week" lol

That's exactly how he plays most weeks the only difference today was the fact he a 18 yard volley into the corner of the goal to go with it.

Don't agree at all.

He had the bit between his teeth today. There was a motivation and liveliness there that we rarely see.

It does make my laugh

"why can't he be like this every week" lol

That's exactly how he plays most weeks the only difference today was the fact he a 18 yard volley into the corner of the goal to go with it.

No its not how he plays most weeks.

Sorry but why is Nugent such a poor player. He has scored 51 goals in 147 games for us which is better than 1 in 3. Has any other striker over the last ten years even come close to that ratio. Fryatt scored 51 in 168 games. So the argument about him not scoring goals is absolutely ridiculous. In addition, he has played as a support striker and wrapped up so many assists from this position. In addition, he has an excellent work rate and uses the ball well. Do people just hate him because he is that good. I don't understand

Archived