Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

30 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Great advert for Delta and the Amsterdam screening

Philip Schotte, a Netherlands native who lives in Iowa, told local news Fox 2 that he saw at least a dozen maggots falling on a woman mid-flight.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/15/delta-flight-maggots

IMG_5163.jpeg

Samuel L Jackson films that never made it. 

• Haha 1

Guest David Oldfields Gate
53 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Bucharest for a lads weekend next weekend. Been before with another group. Cheap n easy.

Dharamsala for the 5th test after the qpr home match then Nepal. Any Nepal tips @David Oldfields Gate @fuchsntf ???

No sorry. 

Bucharest however....go find the island where the white wizard lives....

13 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Bucharest for a lads weekend next weekend. Been before with another group. Cheap n easy.

Dharamsala for the 5th test after the qpr home match then Nepal. Any Nepal tips @David Oldfields Gate @fuchsntf ???

I don’t know how long you have…in India Nepal..So I will throw in a mixed bottle of all sorts

I did my own expeditions with wife and very young kids,no guides no Sherpas.

I was a trekker,own expeditions truck,or left it and trekked,days/weeks

so orientiering,reading & using maps were natural to me.

Two lands you can’t get enough of,if you don’t suffer from culture-shock.

One doesn’t  travel the other side of the world to meet your like..

local restaurants and bars,full of information and great welcoming hosts.

English,Irish,French,German bars,bistros, can be found and exchange of the odd information,titbits

but keeping more local is the experience and travel education,why waste it.

Haggling is part of their life,and don’t feel sorry they will often come out on top.

But don’t throw sympathy and money around, if 12 ruppees is the 10% tip,don’t give them 12 quid.

.If you are there for awhile,invest in a local dress shalwar-chemise for men,and women according to cut

& made to measure.in minutes

.Its cooler, excellent fitting & smart for day or evening  dress,beats jeans or European trousers.

go to the market,mornings get measured,either later evening or next day it’s ready..

Great back home for lounging around,or using daily..get 2-3, one for the winter.

first India:-

Dharamsala.. residence of Nepal’s Dalei lama.One can try and have an audience with him.or open local teachings .

if not namgyal Monastary, one could ask for half day-day tour with an high lama.to show you history , culture and life of the lama and break up of disciplines,preparation of long & short years of meditation.

This is to do with one going and finding your innerself.

One could rent a car with driver,even taxi with driver for some days.Don’t self drive,too many SPOfailure..

You can do this for many days,even 2 -3 weeks.

Cultural,palaces,historical sites abound.

If you can do 5 things, even if it’s another time..

#Amritsar,Golden temple,for all visitors free food,

but just a great spiritual atmosphere

#Taj mahal Agra. Just simply one of the most beautiful buildings in the world,even with tourists the atmosphere.!

#Kangra fort 16km from Dharamsala.
   even better do a Indian wide forts tours

# long weeks trekking  through /between high Himalayas

#either Corbett NP,  or the NP Assam safari

National Parks,safaris on Elephants backs, looking for,following..

Elephants,Rhino,Samba, Bison,exotic fauna & Bird-Life or elusive Tigers..Spend 2-3 days in

“ Government lodges,bungalows on wild animal watering holes”

Numerous treks..easier in India,if not in the high Himalayas

Nepal..

Cultural town trips Pokhara, Kathmandu,Bhaktapur ( old capital),Patan.

All time of organised transport trips from modern bus,small bus,or pick ups

sometimes with time at the Chitwan NP.

Chitwan national park..same type of safaris has above,but..

river safari, freshwater dolphins, Elephant centre with orphan,injured elephants.

spend half a day,washing ,connecting with elephant how to Mount/climb with elephants help onto his back,

then again go out at break of dawn or dusk in a chair on the back of an elephant..

nothing more relaxing and life experiencing searching for photo game & bird life

with the rythm of the Elephants walk, then high up meeting with wild elephants,Tigers,rhinos,etc..

You can travel around without organised trip,just using local transport or mix it up.

An SUV with driver is a great way to do it.

Trekking high Himalayas..like I mentioned with my 3 and 4yr old,

they had their little backpacks,walked 10-20km high terrain,without guide or Sherpas,

but on the regular trek routes enough tea houses( rustic accomadation with decent food)

suprisingly along the most remote treks,also including Annapurna circuit.

If you do a or a couple of high Himalayan treks,listen to your Sherpa,especially on 

Mountain/high altitude sickness,it as nothing to do with fitness.

You get headaches dizziness you stop ascending,and start descending, Sometimes your body on the same trip can acclimatise,and you can after 2-4 hrs,or after a nights camp  lower down,.one can begin the assent again..

Do your location,geographic  trip organisation homework.

Beware of just jumping on a bus..

A car with driver is one of the best ways to get around..

Pakistan,India,Nepal,Bhutan…some classified very dangerous roads,

so busses I wouldn’t reccomend it. even in flat terrain.
Plus local bus drivers tend to be or are often self employed,uninsured kamikazi graduates,

lorry-drivers ploughing their trades are wiser more experienced and better survivors.

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

I don’t know how long you have…in India Nepal..So I will throw in a mixed bottle of all sorts

I did my own expeditions with wife and very young kids,no guides no Sherpas.

I was a trekker,own expeditions truck,or left it and trekked,days/weeks

so orientiering,reading & using maps were natural to me.

Two lands you can’t get enough of,if you don’t suffer from culture-shock.

One doesn’t  travel the other side of the world to meet your like..

local restaurants and bars,full of information and great welcoming hosts.

English,Irish,French,German bars,bistros, can be found and exchange of the odd information,titbits

but keeping more local is the experience and travel education,why waste it.

Haggling is part of their life,and don’t feel sorry they will often come out on top.

But don’t throw sympathy and money around, if 12 ruppees is the 10% tip,don’t give them 12 quid.

.If you are there for awhile,invest in a local dress shalwar-chemise for men,and women according to cut

& made to measure.in minutes

.Its cooler, excellent fitting & smart for day or evening  dress,beats jeans or European trousers.

go to the market,mornings get measured,either later evening or next day it’s ready..

Great back home for lounging around,or using daily..get 2-3, one for the winter.

first India:-

Dharamsala.. residence of Nepal’s Dalei lama.One can try and have an audience with him.or open local teachings .

if not namgyal Monastary, one could ask for half day-day tour with an high lama.to show you history , culture and life of the lama and break up of disciplines,preparation of long & short years of meditation.

This is to do with one going and finding your innerself.

One could rent a car with driver,even taxi with driver for some days.Don’t self drive,too many SPOfailure..

You can do this for many days,even 2 -3 weeks.

Cultural,palaces,historical sites abound.

If you can do 5 things, even if it’s another time..

#Amritsar,Golden temple,for all visitors free food,

but just a great spiritual atmosphere

#Taj masala. Agra. Just simply one of the most beautiful buildings in the world

#Kangra fort 16km from Dharamsala.even better Indian forts tours

# long weeks trekking  through /between high Himalayas

#either Corbett NP,  or the NP Assam safari

National Parks,safaris on Elephants backs, looking for,following..

Elephants,Rhino,Samba, Bison,exotic fauna & Bird-Life or elusive Tigers..Spend 2-3 days in

“ Government lodges,bungalows on wild animal watering holes”

Numerous treks..easier in India,if not in the high Himalayas

Nepal..

Cultural town trips Pokhara, Kathmandu,Bhaktapur ( old capital),Patan.

All time of organised transport trips from modern bus,small bus,or pick ups

sometimes with time at the Chitwan NP.

Chitwan national park..same type of safaris has above,but..

river safari, freshwater dolphins, Elephant centre with orphan,injured elephants.

spend half a day,washing ,connecting with elephant how to Mount/climb with elephants help onto his back,

then again go out at break of dawn or dusk in a chair on the back of an elephant..

nothing more relaxing and life experiencing searching for photo game & bird life

with the rythm of the Elephants walk, then high up meeting with wild elephants,Tigers,rhinos,etc..

You can travel around without organised trip,just using local transport or mix it up.

An SUV with driver is a great way to do it.

Trekking high Himalayas..like I mentioned with my 3 and 4yr old,

they had their little backpacks,walked 10-20km high terrain,without guide or Sherpas,

but on the regular trek routes enough tea houses( rustic accomadation with decent food)

suprisingly along the most remote treks,also including Annapurna circuit.

If you do a or a couple of high Himalayan treks,listen to your Sherpa,especially on 

Mountain/high altitude sickness,it as nothing to do with fitness.

You get headaches dizziness you stop ascending,and start descending, Sometimes your body on the same trip can acclimatise,and you can after 2-4 hrs,or after a nights camp  lower down,.one can begin the assent again..

Do your location,geographic  trip organisation homework.

Beware of just jumping on a bus..

A car with driver is one of the best ways to get around..

Pakistan,India,Nepal,Bhutan…some classified very dangerous roads,

so busses I wouldn’t reccomend it. even in flat terrain.
Plus local bus drivers tend to be or are often self employed,uninsured kamikazi graduates,

lorry-drivers ploughing their trades are wiser more experienced and better survivors.

Brilliant thank you! Won’t be too long in India, been before and done the tourist route. We are doing golden temple, kangra and requested to meet the Dalai Lama. Main part of going there is to watch England in the cricket. Of course car and driver, cheapest and safest way.

Haha great minds, I tend to refresh my wardrobe when I go east. Tailored linen suit £40, new set of fitted work shirts £10 each. Makes you never spend £40 on badly-fitting, off the shelf, machine stitched polyester junk from TM Lewin again. 
All noted on Nepal, thanks. I think time will not allow all of that, but some tips to go off that is better than google!

edit - would love to see Pakistan, but much like Israel and Cuba, forever fearful of getting that stamp on my record 

Edited by grobyfox1990

3 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Brilliant thank you! Won’t be too long in India, been before and done the tourist route. We are doing golden temple, kangra and requested to meet the Dalai Lama. Main part of going there is to watch England in the cricket. Of course car and driver, cheapest and safest way.

Haha great minds, I tend to refresh my wardrobe when I go east. Tailored linen suit £40, new set of fitted work shirts £10 each. Makes you never spend £40 on badly-fitting, off the shelf, machine stitched polyester junk from TM Lewin again. 
All noted on Nepal, thanks. I think time will not allow all of that, but some tips to go off that is better than google!

edit - would love to see Pakistan, but much like Israel and Cuba, forever fearful of getting that stamp on my record 

Pakistan Lose your passport start,again if frequent traveller,

but I never found difficulties..Many moons ago,in fact not too sure if Earth

nad a moon then,whoops silly me couldn’t have worked for them if they werent there….I digress…Many moons ago I was a Mountain Rescue volunteer,went to Pakistan 1970s after/for  Earthquake,then flew to various lands in Africa for Eng.projects,then went to Israel…No negatives and I was often away from civilisation,crossing over border checks in the middle of nowhere..

Tho Gaza now is back to stone and rubble,Red crescent & Red Cross seemingly lost cause,because they keep getting safe havens blown up..We are back to square one.

I wish I had ,had google NASA search when I was there, & travelling

would of helped tremendously,especially if 3rd party transport broke down,

and one wondered where the fk am I  ( a bit like our English cricket)..:crylaugh:

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

nad a moon then,whoops silly me couldn’t have worked for them if they werent there….I digress…Many moons ago I was a Mountain Rescue volunteer,went to Pakistan 1970s after/for  Earthquake,then flew to various lands in Africa for Eng.projects,then went to Israel…No negatives and I was often away from civilisation,crossing over border checks in the middle of nowhere..

Tho Gaza now is back to stone and rubble,Red crescent & Red Cross seemingly lost cause,because they keep getting safe havens blown up..We are back to square one.

and one wondered where the fk am I  ( a bit like our English cricket)..:crylaugh:

My daughter ( darling visiting me) just told me..Israel on most borders,before present conflict….

Gave entry cards and no longer stamped passport,unless requested.

for @grobyfox1990 and others with itchy feet..

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

My daughter ( darling visiting me) just told me..Israel on most borders,before present conflict….

I visited Israel a few times with apparently dodgy stamps in my passport, was held for hours, stripped to underwear and questioned relentlessly every single time. 
My wife and kids passed without issue every single time. 

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

With Pakistan, the Indian visa asks if you have ever visited Pakistan, at which point I guess it is an automatic rejection. 

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

Is it as easy as putting your passport through the washing machine and starting again? My big fat Russian visa after going to Moscow to watch city play frequently arises suspicion but not much more. It caused a lot of problems in Bahrain but after some intensive answers (no one believed I went to Moscow solely to watch a football match...) I was through.

I guess the USA will keep a record on file of any visits to Cuba. With Israel, I would much rather freely travel to the Middle East than go to Israel, but if they don't check anything other than your passport, great..

52 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

I visited Israel a few times with apparently dodgy stamps in my passport, was held for hours, stripped to underwear and questioned relentlessly every single time. 
My wife and kids passed without issue every single time. 

I bet you are one of them that just look guilty,or they wanted to know what you 

were packing inside your underpants,and didn’t believe you was just excited about getting your kids into the pool and your wife alone for the first time in weeks.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

With Pakistan, the Indian visa asks if you have ever visited Pakistan, at which point I guess it is an automatic rejection. 

Is it as easy as putting your passport through the washing machine and starting again? My big fat Russian visa after going to Moscow to watch city play frequently arises suspicion but not much more. It caused a lot of problems in Bahrain but after some intensive answers (no one believed I went to Moscow solely to watch a football match...) I was through.

I guess the USA will keep a record on file of any visits to Cuba. With Israel, I would much rather freely travel to the Middle East than go to Israel, but if they don't check anything other than your passport, great..

They already know everything about you :ph34r:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Your first sentence..

we use to go back n forth between Pakistan and India,no problems ditto with present friends..Some like you flying in,are always asked,but it’s often a simple query. Even then ask what borders are presently open between the countries.

I have seen some border crossing closed for 3hrs,or a week,because of what some

local politician said

Even in questionable areas,I tended to be flippant in my approach internally  to such questions.but answer questions up front and honestly.

Backpacking or with my expedition truck,which was always routinely checked,no hidden agenda specifically for me,just the general correct  why or what questions…

With meeting fellow  travelling guests,I am jovial,a bit of a comedian,take the banter

both ways..Border controls quiet assurative,but pleasant and humble…

I have no qualms over questions,I go with the flow.

There are some who think they are either James Bond,or have a right to diplomatic

imunity,or frankly just a big gob..

Humble polite a smile,goes along way,nomatter where you are,

even being mugged,but Pick up a dustbin  lid and crack them with it,

while being polite and humble…

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I enjoyed this lol

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

No one has ever questioned or mentioned my Russian visa stamp. Not even a flicker of an eyebrow from the USA.

We are young men who went independently, a few months before putin marched into Ukraine, for a few days in an off peak period. My ex-colleague went as a stop off on some saga organised tour in summer 2015 and doesn’t have a problem. The authorities must be able to distinguish. Undoubtedly what we did must look suspicious 

6 hours ago, ry.cunningham.5 said:

Tips for New York?

Try some  looking at NY away from what you might know…

but again I will throw in all sorts..

Obvoisly Statue of Liberty,  liberty island ,battery park..Ellis island 

There are tours & cruises

Beaches..

Coney Island,…..the old fairground with also Side shows,burlesques

Brighton Beach…Russians might of taken over,

but some decent old /new Russian eateries.

There are at least 4-5 other beaches,with promenades..with something to offer.

Roof top bars or Gardens….Rockefeller centre,for a nice relaxing moments

or peacefull jazz moments away from the bustle..

Old (new)speakeasy  bars around New York,vamped up,and in old hidden corners.

New York delicatessens abound,all types of faire..

New York State…some decent waterfalls,there used to be a map,

showing where to drive to the various falls..nice hikes.rent a cabin..

plus in New York Greenacre park I would say ornamental waterfalls,in a quiet spot.

Chinatown…walkabout and food and. Shopping.
Street food dim sum in Mosco street food & sit down dim sum snack/restaurants.

Pell street,mott street then small off shoot streets.

not far off & in neighbourhood Little Italy..

Obviously Harlem..Apollo theater,and National Jazz museum..

You can walkabout,in Harlem some great food..around the streets,ask the locals,

snacks,bars,restaurants,shopping..yes it is safe..!!

one can do free,or paid guided tours,ask clerk or reception for special

off shoot areas..

I walked Manhattan,with my wife and once before I knew her..over the day and evening..night time kept to well known areas…

South street.. seaport museum…and area.high ship Wavertree

pier 86  USS Interprid Museum onboard and around..spaceshuttle,military aircraft.

I really enjoyed  these last two visits..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ry.cunningham.5 said:

Tips for New York?

We enjoyed....
Top of the Rock rather than the empire state (That way you can see the empire state :) )
Staten Island Ferry
Rooselvelt  Island/Tramway
Museum of the moving image (Movies/TV/Muppets) in queens
Central park (Obv) Row on the lake, ride the carousel.

12 hours ago, ry.cunningham.5 said:

Tips for New York?

Amazing city, lots to see and do but if the inclination is there, go and see the 9/11 Memorial. We weren’t really interested but had some time to kill. 
It’s emotionally exhausting and difficult to do without tears but incredibly rewarding. 
No New York bling and noise just a really beautiful tribute to the people lost that day. 

5 hours ago, ozleicester said:

We enjoyed....
Top of the Rock rather than the empire state (That way you can see the empire state :) )
Staten Island Ferry
Rooselvelt  Island/Tramway
Museum of the moving image (Movies/TV/Muppets) in queens
Central park (Obv) Row on the lake, ride the carousel.

Agree with all these. MOTMI is a bit of a gem. If you like boozing etc, heading over to Brooklyn I found enjoyable 

13 hours ago, ry.cunningham.5 said:

Tips for New York?

I went last September and had a great time. Get the ferry from the financial district over to Brooklyn. Great views and inexpensive. You can then check out Brooklyn and get the ferry back to Midtown. If you want a good steak then Gallaghers is unreal. Typically I would avoid areas like Times Square and check out Greenwich and Chelsea as they are much nicer. 

Walk the high line and then if you are feeling it you can continue to walk by the Hudson all the way to ground zero.

If you like ice cream then Cafe Panna is a must visit.

After last weekend's jaunt to Bologna and Emilia-Romagna, I have already been swatting up on the next Italy trip. Either Puglia, Palermo or Trieste/Udine. 

Any recommendations for Valencia (stag in May) & Amsterdam (August - any hidden gems) would be much appreciated