Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Bucharest was fun. Nothing too exceptional, the best part was hiring a guide to essentially follow us around all day whilst doing activities which annoyed me as it seemed a waste of money, she was just there to break the language barrier. But absolutely came into her own in the evening when she took us to multiple bars, some hidden, which we would never have discovered alone, and saved us far more money than the cost of her time. Will look at doing this on further trips.

33 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Probably heading to Sicily for 3 nights in early May. Flights are into Palermo, is it worth staying there for a night? Was considering going to a beach area for 2 nights and then doing that.

If you're only there for 3 nights it might be best staying in PA all the time. Nearest nice beach town is Cefalu (45-50 mins train) - nice place to stay with a lovely beach and an outstanding medieval cathedral.

There's also San Vito which is like 1 and a half hours bus ride away. Incredible beach but not much else there.

I love Trapani and the islands off its coast but it's a bit further away if you're only there for 3 nights. 

8 minutes ago, bovril said:

If you're only there for 3 nights it might be best staying in PA all the time. Nearest nice beach town is Cefalu (45-50 mins train) - nice place to stay with a lovely beach and an outstanding medieval cathedral.

There's also San Vito which is like 1 and a half hours bus ride away. Incredible beach but not much else there.

I love Trapani and the islands off its coast but it's a bit further away if you're only there for 3 nights. 

Cheers, I was considering staying in Cefalu for them 2 nights. Would you not recommend that then?

edit: I probably should have said that I would prefer to stay on beach for a couple of days.

Edited by Costock_Fox

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

Cheers, I was considering staying in Cefalu for them 2 nights. Would you not recommend that then?

Cefalu is great. I just thought maybe you might prefer to stay in PA and do day trips but to be honest Cefalu will be really nice and not too busy. It's a beautiful town.

If you do spend time in PA let me know and I can recommend some bars and restaurants. 

38 minutes ago, bovril said:

Cefalu is great. I just thought maybe you might prefer to stay in PA and do day trips but to be honest Cefalu will be really nice and not too busy. It's a beautiful town.

If you do spend time in PA let me know and I can recommend some bars and restaurants. 

Spot on. Think I’ll definitely do a night in Palermo so let me know some recommendations.

33 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Spot on. Think I’ll definitely do a night in Palermo so let me know some recommendations.

Loads of places to stay in the old town. Ponticello apartments are very very nice. Don't stay too close to the train station, gets noisier and dirtier past via Divisi. Area just north of Piazza Politeama is also really nice to stay in and has some good restaurants.

Trattoria al Sorriso by the station is superb. Great food at pretty low prices. Have fish obviously. Trattoria Trapani is a proper old school cheap trattoria, also next to the station. Pizza e Cucina on via 20th Settembre is my old haunt. Pretty unassuming but just superb pizza and cold beer. Vecchio Club Rosanero is a Palermo FC themed trattoria, pretty decent cheap grub. Ballaro of all the markets probably has the best places to eat, though even that one has become a bit touristy - Kemonia is good if memory serves. Trattoria Bersaglieri is where we always used to go on Saturdays. Bit dodgy and mafiosi but huge portions for very little cost. 

There are loads of places to eat. You will eat well there. I'll wrack my brain for more.

• Thanks 1

On 25/02/2024 at 16:19, kenny said:

Accomodation in Scotland is difficult everywhere hence the number of b&b's. Is campervan hire reasonable?

gonna drive up with stuff to do some camping during the trip but thought Skye might to cold or windy for camping ? 🤷🏻‍♂️

4 hours ago, Langley said:

in 2020 when we went it was £1000 for 3 nights on skye in a hotel/airbnb.

or £10 each a night to camp.

camping won. dunvegan is where we stayed.

What time of year did you camp on skye? 

coming round to the idea of this. 

1 hour ago, Filbert_Ross said:

gonna drive up with stuff to do some camping during the trip but thought Skye might to cold or windy for camping ? 🤷🏻‍♂️

We went for 3 days. For 2 of them we couldn't see more than a few metres in front of us. As we drove off to catch the ferry the clear blue sky and sunshine was incredible, it's literally stunning.

So I would assume all the weathers. Variety s the spice of life!

On 25/02/2024 at 13:09, Filbert_Ross said:

Looking for go Scotland for a mini tour in July. Want to do about 4/5 nights on Skye. 
Will have two young kids with us so would rather stay in a caravan or something over a b&b etc. 

airbnb accommodation seems very pricy.

any tips/advice ?  

Prepare not to go outside of an evening. You will not believe the clouds of mosquitos. No, seriously, it’s worse than you currently think it is.

http://www.saucymarys.com Is very basic budget accommodation, but the food is good and there’s a fresh fish chippy just down the way. Take your own towels and shampoo.

Did I mention the clouds of mosquitoes? You can easily lose three pints of blood on an evening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Prepare not to go outside of an evening. You will not believe the clouds of mosquitos. No, seriously, it’s worse than you currently think it is.

http://www.saucymarys.com Is very basic budget accommodation, but the food is good and there’s a fresh fish chippy just down the way. Take your own towels and shampoo.

Did I mention the clouds of mosquitoes? You can easily lose three pints of blood on an evening.

I’m glad you mentioned this, I couldn’t believe we’d had several comments about Skye in summer without a hint of a Midge… 

I spent many summers (and winters) on the west coast in the 90’s and sometimes they were off the scale, just thick black clouds of millions of Midges, so bad that we prayed for wind and rain… 

Amazing place though. Not a big Whisky drinker but became one for a while - Talisker ❤️❤️

1 hour ago, jgtuk said:

I’m glad you mentioned this, I couldn’t believe we’d had several comments about Skye in summer without a hint of a Midge… 

I spent many summers (and winters) on the west coast in the 90’s and sometimes they were off the scale, just thick black clouds of millions of Midges, so bad that we prayed for wind and rain… 

Amazing place though. Not a big Whisky drinker but became one for a while - Talisker ❤️❤️

I covered myself in deet, had one of those beekeeper style head nets, and still got monched alive. Sure, Skye is good looking and stuff - but I’d never return in a million years. It went from nice pint outside to insane in seconds. 

20 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I covered myself in deet, had one of those beekeeper style head nets, and still got monched alive. Sure, Skye is good looking and stuff - but I’d never return in a million years. It went from nice pint outside to insane in seconds. 

I just checked, I went back several times in the 2000's, the last time in 2009. I went alone in March to avoid the Midges but the weather was incredibly changeable, snow blizzard, torrential rain, howling wind but some good calm sunshine too.

I love the west coast anyway, it fulfills all of my likes - walking, climbing/scrambling, birdwatching, photography...

I used to do a great trip - Mallaig harbour, paddle into sea, around headland and into Loch Nevis, all the way to the bottom (nice bothy and good walking so stayed for a couple of nights), then paddle halfway back up to Tarbet, carry boats and kit over mountain ridge (just under a mile) to Loch Morar - good wild camping and a nice bothy (sadly locked up now apparently). Paddle the loch at leisure and camp on islands for last night. Walk back to vehicle and drive to collect kit...

This is from 2009, Elgol beach looking toward the black Cuillin - cliched picture i know but irresistable...

Elgol.thumb.jpg.b9ce1164a22d385ea8b668fc4f32c2e1.jpg

Edited by jgtuk
SPELLING, DUH
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Some fine reality at last, a more accurate post has never been written. Camping in the Isle of Skye, what has come over all of you to consider this!?!?!?! And at times of the year like March! For the completely unreasonable total cost of the trip, go somewhere much more value-conscious and much prettier.

Disclaimer - I have been to Isle of Skye twice and it is certainly VERY nice, but not exactly world-class and omg the cost of trips within the UK. Unsure why anyone bothers. 

14 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Some fine reality at last, a more accurate post has never been written. Camping in the Isle of Skye, what has come over all of you to consider this!?!?!?! And at times of the year like March! For the completely unreasonable total cost of the trip, go somewhere much more value-conscious and much prettier.

Disclaimer - I have been to Isle of Skye twice and it is certainly VERY nice, but not exactly world-class and omg the cost of trips within the UK. Unsure why anyone bothers. 

I chose to wild camp for a very good reason (although if wife is with me very often start or end the trip in a hotel. Stayed at the Slichagan a couple of times).

Cost isn't a factor (for me at least), there really isn't anywhere in the world like it, at least without going to parts of scandinavia or Canada. Scotland still has some great wilderness and extremely challenging walks/climbs, great wildlife and is on the doorstep, relatively speaking.

It's not a case of either/or, I've travelled reasonably extensively bucket class, business/1st class and stayed in some very expensive upmarket places, it doesn't mean I also don't like a Bothy in scotland (with or without Midges), a VERY cheap Riad in Morroco or a Favela in Rio.

My wife/kids don't always agree with me :D

12 hours ago, Raj said:

Lisbon in 4 weeks time.

Any recommendations for must see things let me know please.

Can recommend the dolphin watching trip, I saw some early Feb last year when I did it. Day trip to Sintra to Pena Palace. Benfica stadium tour was awesome, museum there is crazy! Plenty of sights to see, easy to get around on the metro as well. 

• Thanks 1

On 19/02/2024 at 19:26, isaidno said:

Been twice. Once in winter and once in summer. Few tips. 

Walk the Brooklyn bridge.

Hire bikes and cycle round Central Park.

Baseball / basketball ice hockey match

Rockefeller is a lot better than the empire state.

For drinks go to Monarch rooftop bar. 

Which was better, summer or winter?

1 hour ago, The Blur said:

Which was better, summer or winter?

Both are great but I preferred winter (late February when we went) - less crowded so fewer queues for the touristy stuff - although we were pretty lucky with the weather, cold but clear blue sky and little wind. Had some snow too which added to the experience. Visibility was brilliant from Empire State, Rockefeller etc. 

New York is awesome… 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Raj said:

Lisbon in 4 weeks time.

Any recommendations for must see things let me know please.

I went to Lisbon last year and it's a beautiful city. VERY hilly!  It's the only city i've ever been to, that has escalators in the street. 

Time Out Food Market is a bit of a must. and someone else has mentioned a day trip to Sintra.  Don't JUST to Pena Palace, there are 7 or 8 properties you can visit in the area and for me, Pena was the most disappointing.  Sintra itself is a lovely little town and great for a spot of lunch and people watching.  it's about a 90 minute train journey from Lisbon and my advice is to get up early and get over to Sintra as early as you can.  The crowds get huge! we easily spent 7-8 hours travelling around here. 

You'll probably want to go to Belem as well, that's a tram journey from central lisbon and it's where the original Pastiche de Nata were made.  There is a nice monastary and lots of riverside walks here.  Definitely no more than half a day though. I got bored pretty quickly after seeing the monastery and eating! 

As a city, it comes alive at night and there are great bars and food places all around the city.  My biggest bit of advice is just walk and get lost. I felt totally safe, whether we were walking down tiny back alleys or in throngs of crowds. 

The Tram ride that everyone raves about.  Avoid. It will be absolutely mobbed and you can't really see out of the windows.  Plus the queues are massive and it's a waste of your time.  You could get a tuk tuk ride round the city and see more, or just prioritise what you want to see on the route and make your own way there. 

Enjoy though, it's a fantastic place! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

I went to Lisbon last year and it's a beautiful city. VERY hilly!  It's the only city i've ever been to, that has escalators in the street. 

Time Out Food Market is a bit of a must. and someone else has mentioned a day trip to Sintra.  Don't JUST to Pena Palace, there are 7 or 8 properties you can visit in the area and for me, Pena was the most disappointing.  Sintra itself is a lovely little town and great for a spot of lunch and people watching.  it's about a 90 minute train journey from Lisbon and my advice is to get up early and get over to Sintra as early as you can.  The crowds get huge! we easily spent 7-8 hours travelling around here. 

You'll probably want to go to Belem as well, that's a tram journey from central lisbon and it's where the original Pastiche de Nata were made.  There is a nice monastary and lots of riverside walks here.  Definitely no more than half a day though. I got bored pretty quickly after seeing the monastery and eating! 

As a city, it comes alive at night and there are great bars and food places all around the city.  My biggest bit of advice is just walk and get lost. I felt totally safe, whether we were walking down tiny back alleys or in throngs of crowds. 

The Tram ride that everyone raves about.  Avoid. It will be absolutely mobbed and you can't really see out of the windows.  Plus the queues are massive and it's a waste of your time.  You could get a tuk tuk ride round the city and see more, or just prioritise what you want to see on the route and make your own way there. 

Enjoy though, it's a fantastic place! 

12 hours ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Can recommend the dolphin watching trip, I saw some early Feb last year when I did it. Day trip to Sintra to Pena Palace. Benfica stadium tour was awesome, museum there is crazy! Plenty of sights to see, easy to get around on the metro as well. 

Thank you both thats great stuff!!

• Like 1