Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

1 hour ago, bovril said:

I was thinking of doing the same thing! Maybe combining Puglia and Venice and doing the overnight trains, so I may pass you on the way...

Enjoy it. Venice is still one of my favourite cities. And Puglia is amazing. Great coast and some fantastic historic sites including a lot of Norman stuff.

Looking forward to Bari, off the beaten track, looks very nice though & not too touristy. 
Naples will be a bit different/edgy.

Only in Rome for a night, will be very busy, so will only do the main sites & a bus tour.

Florence will be great, l imagine !
Verona has a lot of lovely surrounding areas, so may hire a Vespa (has to be done !)

Venice, will be amazing, I’m sure. 
Never been to Italy before, so can’t wait.

Edited by STEVIE B
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrighty22 said:

Really considering going to Egypt this summer, Sharm El-Sheik, what’s anyone’s experience of going there? 

Looking at 10 days and then a day trip to see the pyramids but it’s a long trip! 

Egypt in the summer will be very hot! I've been to Sharm several times, great for a well priced beach break. Hotels are great and competitively priced. Although most of the food ago tastes the same 😆😂 The snorkeling/diving is fantastic. 

Just returned from a Nile cruise and a week near Hurghada. And it was very warm for sightseeing already. 

We were offered the option of a flight to see the pyramids before going to the hotel. We didn't book as we're supposed to be going in April next year. A possible option to explore if you want a beach and to do the pyramids?

1 hour ago, stretch1965 said:

Going to Turkey and staying at Marmaris, getting mixed views on what currency to take, been told I'd bet better off with euros or sterling. Any thoughts?

Thanks 

I went to Marmaris about 10 years ago. What I remember was it was about 1.5 hours from the Airport.

I'ts not a massive resort which for made it nicer. Food was fine prices ok. The Euro was accepted everywhere. 

Jewelry was good value at the time about 60% of uk prices. But things could have changed since then I don't know.

The Bay is lovely and you could go out into the Bay on a sailing ship and jump off into the Bay which from memory was about 30 to 40 ft deep.

All in all we enjoyed the Hollday in Marmaris. 

On 10/03/2024 at 14:53, STEVIE B said:

Looking forward to Bari, off the beaten track, looks very nice though & not too touristy. 
Naples will be a bit different/edgy.

Only in Rome for a night, will be very busy, so will only do the main sites & a bus tour.

Florence will be great, l imagine !
Verona has a lot of lovely surrounding areas, so may hire a Vespa (has to be done !)

Venice, will be amazing, I’m sure. 
Never been to Italy before, so can’t wait.

Many old a city centre or major areas are themselves museums.from different epochs.These areas are as clean as one could ever hope,and puts UK in its restoration projects and long over drawn out mini or major projects often to shame.

Lovely Quiet or boisterous festivals enjoyed by the young as well as the aged traditionalist…

When you travel never take the perspective with you,that our customs and ways are

better..each foreign country have ways that are different,one of the best difference

is the welcoming that one gets,also from tourist areas..

That said Italy has a lot of tourist scams & pickpockets of various skills,pushed high with foreign incomesrs ( but one doesn’t go down that  channel in polite circles),though one could live or travel over years & never be a victim…Italians can also demean their own country…just use common sense..I found the Police & town workers,very helpfull…Plus to eat stray away from tourist routes,or be peacefully brash & friendly with your hotel staff 1-4 star and ask where the locals go to eat,or find a hidden busseling market treasure around the corner,they will be nearer local simple restaurants…decor is not the proof of decent faire,but again a good spread of tables but a short menu could also deliver a decent evening.

Bars or bistros with local music in the towns or in the country can add to your experience. Learn a few Italian phrases,it helps one to enjoy any country more..

Tuscany..natural spa’s..with natural free entry to hot streams and rivers,with boxes to put and secure your clothing or an organise enclose natural spring with entry fee is also one can easily find if touring…take a look at this…

https://www.holidaypirates.com/travel-magazine/natural-hot-springs-around-italy-free-visit

Having a Thermal natural waters,

with  <<Monte>>winery visits is a great way to tour Tuscany or whole of Italy .

Florence is beautifull so much to offer…Chianti & Barolo

are you macho enough for Florence T bone steak..or just half the cut

rib-eye especially after  pre-booking a day in their famous Uffici museums card..

image.thumb.png.ba8d194b74efa60a1444b44dceb0993d.png

Verona..Arena do Verona,just visit,or better visit and see it in the day,then return

After a nice meal for the seasons opera…Take the tickets high on the steps

and instead of that expensive restaurant take a picnic with a fine wine

Listening on the steps to the finest operas in the world

for a decent price…

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

I went to Marmaris about 10 years ago. What I remember was it was about 1.5 hours from the Airport.

I'ts not a massive resort which for made it nicer. Food was fine prices ok. The Euro was accepted everywhere. 

Jewelry was good value at the time about 60% of uk prices. But things could have changed since then I don't know.

The Bay is lovely and you could go out into the Bay on a sailing ship and jump off into the Bay which from memory was about 30 to 40 ft deep.

All in all we enjoyed the Hollday in Marmaris. 

Thanks pal appreciate that

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Has anyone been to Budapest and specifically in December? We are looking for a city break early December and wondering where to go. 

I haven’t,but you could well of been,but went to Krakow last December.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Plenty of hidden bars,Xmas market ,a trip to Zakopane and Auschwitz .

it snowed and snowed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Has anyone been to Budapest and specifically in December? We are looking for a city break early December and wondering where to go. 

Yes, it's really nice. We generally explored on foot and using the HoHo. Highly recommend a river trip and a visit to the spa. We went in March, I think and it was chilly. The good news is, it's really cheap.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Great times in north India and Nepal. 
Amritsar - uk based punjabis are so OTT in being Punjabi I’ve always wondered what real Punjabi’s are like. Warm, friendly and thoroughly decent is what. Wagah border and golden temple brilliant.

Dharamsala - mainly to watch cricket at a beautiful stadium in the Himalayas. Incredibly scenery, paragliding, trekking, world class

Nagarkot - again world class scenery of the Himalayas, including Everest. Nothing remotely like it anywhere in Europe. 

Kathmandu - big city, friendly people, amazing flavourful food.

What an experience and as expected your money goes so much further out here. £2 for a test cricket ticket, £2.50 for a haircut and cut throat shave, 3 tailored cotton shirts £30, you get the gist…

Did you get to a NP Safari Park…???

Nagarkot…The whole area one could spend a lifetime

How is Kathmandu ,Nepal generally after the Earthquake??

I did with my family Nargakot plus trekked Everest old first base camp…an oldertrail

to go all the way,10-12days ( with rest days).And kids ( very rare ) Though no nanny approach like today…

.No Sherpas,with kids though we mixed with Shepas from other groups..33yrs agoDifferent times .I prefered Annurpurna..both need acclimatisation days.

There we’re no part jeeps trails at the beginning like now.It didn’t cost anything !!

Around safari parks world wide tourist have to pay,in the years I travelled entry free

payed for a ranger to accompany us.sometimes not..free movement.

We did. have a couple of nights in lodges,with Our truck parked up,but stayed for

some fauna animal education days & evening entertainment…Or just very welcome and cheap government bungalows,discussing /debating over animals and their  movement with local or tourist kind ,a few rupees with meals..€6 for whole family max.

Sometimes slept in Expedition truck no costs,maps used to follow trails..

Now like S.American sites, Foreigners now have to pay a fair wack…even just to trek….Adventurers of my generation had it cheap..Spent our first safaris nothing 5 -7 night stays and treks zilch  nothing ,just pennies in tea houses

for simple evening meal & Breakfast,or DIY wild camping..

We were once going upto

Nanga Parbat base camp,through fairy meadow…We met Sherpas from a Czech trekking group coming down from elsewhere on their last 2 days,and the Grp and Sherpas,gave us part of their left over goods,for the rest of our trek,Sherpas said it’s all payed for no probs,wanted to leave a donation,because of our kids,they wouldn’t have it..Met  & befriended on that trek one of Himalayas famous Guides and Pakistan Sherpas…told u about family his famous Sherpa father…The son crossed our path several times & stopped to talk to us & kids…He had 4 times survived catastrophic climbs. He told us he disliked most Japanese climbers because they in turn had no respect for altitude sickness

and wanted to storm the high Himalayan peaks..instread taking rest time-outs..

A great short time passing friend, 2 years after  taking the last steps with him he died on climbing ,guiding with a group attempting an ascent on Nanga Parbat..aptily called killer mountain..

On 25/02/2024 at 13:09, Filbert_Ross said:

Looking for go Scotland for a mini tour in July. Want to do about 4/5 nights on Skye. 
Will have two young kids with us so would rather stay in a caravan or something over a b&b etc. 

airbnb accommodation seems very pricy.

any tips/advice ?  

so far got hotel booked for two nights in Edinburgh , then driving Loch Ness for two nights camping then onto to Skye for 4 nights in a static caravan. 
we want to do another 1/2 nights camping in Scotland heading back south then another 2 nights camping in Lake District before heading back to leicester. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Did you get to a NP Safari Park…???

Nagarkot…The whole area one could spend a lifetime

How is Kathmandu ,Nepal generally after the Earthquake??

I did with my family Nargakot plus trekked Everest old first base camp…an oldertrail

to go all the way,10-12days ( with rest days).And kids ( very rare ) Though no nanny approach like today…

.No Sherpas,with kids though we mixed with Shepas from other groups..33yrs agoDifferent times .I prefered Annurpurna..both need acclimatisation days.

There we’re no part jeeps trails at the beginning like now.It didn’t cost anything !!

Around safari parks world wide tourist have to pay,in the years I travelled entry free

payed for a ranger to accompany us.sometimes not..free movement.

We did. have a couple of nights in lodges,with Our truck parked up,but stayed for

some fauna animal education days & evening entertainment…Or just very welcome and cheap government bungalows,discussing /debating over animals and their  movement with local or tourist kind ,a few rupees with meals..€6 for whole family max.

Sometimes slept in Expedition truck no costs,maps used to follow trails..

Now like S.American sites, Foreigners now have to pay a fair wack…even just to trek….Adventurers of my generation had it cheap..Spent our first safaris nothing 5 -7 night stays and treks zilch  nothing ,just pennies in tea houses

for simple evening meal & Breakfast,or DIY wild camping..

We were once going upto

Nanga Parbat base camp,through fairy meadow…We met Sherpas from a Czech trekking group coming down from elsewhere on their last 2 days,and the Grp and Sherpas,gave us part of their left over goods,for the rest of our trek,Sherpas said it’s all payed for no probs,wanted to leave a donation,because of our kids,they wouldn’t have it..Met  & befriended on that trek one of Himalayas famous Guides and Pakistan Sherpas…told u about family his famous Sherpa father…The son crossed our path several times & stopped to talk to us & kids…He had 4 times survived catastrophic climbs. He told us he disliked most Japanese climbers because they in turn had no respect for altitude sickness

and wanted to storm the high Himalayan peaks..instread taking rest time-outs..

A great short time passing friend, 2 years after  taking the last steps with him he died on climbing ,guiding with a group attempting an ascent on Nanga Parbat..aptily called killer mountain..

Was only in nagarkot for 1 day/1 night. Only did one trail, time allowed nothing more.

Kathmandu appears to be mainly recovered. The spirit is of course still there, everyone knows someone who has something to sell to you 

30 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Was only in nagarkot for 1 day/1 night. Only did one trail, time allowed nothing more.

Kathmandu appears to be mainly recovered. The spirit is of course still there, everyone knows someone who has something to sell to you 

Now you have tasted it…I hope you can return to 2=3beautiful countries…

Northern climes can offer great people,great spectacular dynamic countryside,

or round the corners greenery,birds,animals .Assam.Nepal,Bhutan…just about beats Braggie park n Bardon hill..:D

I advise many to just change their perspectiv of any adventure holiday.. or travel even with kids ( all ages) 6 weeks one can bathe in the exotic of Northern Asia..A bit cooler than Southern Asia,but not always snow,if in the foothills

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Now you have tasted it…I hope you can return to 2 beautiful countries…

Northern climes can offer great people,great spectacular dynamic countryside,

or round the corners greenery,birds,animals .Assam.Nepal,Bhutan…just about beats Braggie park n Bardon hill..:D

This is my 7th time to India, a country that is like a continent that can never be ‘completed’ - but I will try my best to cover as much as I can. First time to Nepal. Bhutan is on the medium term planning list! 

• Like 1

On 08/03/2024 at 18:50, Jattdogg said:

Flying to St Lucia tomorrow morning. So excited as its the first trip we are taking since covid! Last went to Jamaica in late December 2019, mere months before lockdown.

The last two years has been car trips to locations cross ontario, no international travel.

Kick it off with my daughters birthday today. The kids are super excited about the trip as they loved Jamaica.

Make sure you get to the Gros Islet street party on Friday night!

16 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

This is my 7th time to India, a country that is like a continent that can never be ‘completed’ - but I will try my best to cover as much as I can. First time to Nepal. Bhutan is on the medium term planning list! 

Of all the places in the world, India appeals to me right at the very end of the list. Maybe it's.living in Leicester and Indian culture being so embedded that it does t seem foreign. 

But, you seem to know your stuff....what's the attraction about it? I must be missing out on something 

Anyone done a Canada fly-drive?

Looking at two weeks but so many options.

Vancouver to Calgary seems favorite atm unless anyone has any better suggestions?

On 12/03/2024 at 08:42, Unabomber said:

I loved my trip to Budapest. I’d recommend the thermal baths , memento park ( that’s the place where they put all the soviet era statues) and for a different take on food and drink, go to Szimpla Kert. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Anyone done a Canada fly-drive?

Looking at two weeks but so many options.

Vancouver to Calgary seems favorite atm unless anyone has any better suggestions?

I’ve been looking at the motor home hire in Calgary. As usual the only thing stopping me is cash.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jonthefox said:

I’ve been looking at the motor home hire in Calgary. As usual the only thing stopping me is cash.

Yeah it's looking stupid expensive for four of us but once in a lifetime etc.

• Like 1