Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Just now, Izzy said:

Yeah it's looking stupid expensive for four of us but once in a lifetime etc.

Never done a fly drive but been to Canada a few times, mostly Vancouver Island as I have friends/family there. Lovely place, great people and definitely one place I would love to retire to if I could… Been to Edmonton and Calgary too but only fleeting visits. My Aunt used to own a ranch in Nova Scotia and I bitterly regret not visiting as she died from Covid in 2020 and the place was sold. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Of all the places in the world, India appeals to me right at the very end of the list. Maybe it's.living in Leicester and Indian culture being so embedded that it does t seem foreign. 

But, you seem to know your stuff....what's the attraction about it? I must be missing out on something 

It’s dirt cheap is the main attraction to me lol. Would rather spend a week in a 5* in India living it up then 3 days in a grotty 3* being treated like an everyday schlep in some godforsaken hole like Italy and being charged more money for it. 
But seriously, it’s amazing. Food is unrivalled, the colour, noise, vibrancy and life gets you. You can get anything you desire. Nature, scenery, activity. It’s got it all. Every new state/city I go to has something unique. I work with corporate drones in the uk who think they are ‘great negotiators’ - they have nothing on the street sellers across India. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Of all the places in the world, India appeals to me right at the very end of the list. Maybe it's.living in Leicester and Indian culture being so embedded that it does t seem foreign. 

But, you seem to know your stuff....what's the attraction about it? I must be missing out on something 

India has everything… islands, beautiful coastal areas, beaches, mountains, wildlife, architecture, history, culture… 

I’ve been twice and once to Sri Lanka and I’d go back in a heartbeat. 
Out of interest, where is high on your list?

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Anyone done a Canada fly-drive?

Looking at two weeks but so many options.

Vancouver to Calgary seems favorite atm unless anyone has any better suggestions?

You are probably aware, but just in case, Canada is ****ing massive.

We did a 2 week tour flying in and out of Calgary. We spent time at Banff, Jasper, Edmonton, Dinosaur provincial parks and a short time at Calgary.

Think we did around 1500 miles which is enough for 2 weeks, stopping 3-4 nights at each location.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Indian + Pakistani friends told me about their homeland years ago…

So after falling in love with India town,took many friends parents grand parents

advice..-

Believe me once there ,and you move around…the whole culture & nature,the various

Peoples,the extremes…take you over and you fall in love with all of its aspects,perspectives..and the enigma that is the Indian continent & neighbours…

You are a guest welcome to stay,because you are there..

Some Europeans should learn from their welcoming souls

From the unclean to Sultans & Mirs no matter the drag  of the caste system,which one doesnt compare or judge…that’s for when asked.

Indian town ain’t India…

Are you such an individual that you would expect a foreigner

to look at you or your best mate has a single representatives of being British

( if you are)

Just questions..no judgement mate..:cheers:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

India has everything… islands, beautiful coastal areas, beaches, mountains, wildlife, architecture, history, culture… 

Interesting...your points and that of @fuchsntf and @grobyfox1990 

I still have that appalling image burned into  me of leprosy victims on skateboards, pollution, traffic chaos toxic rivers ....this isn't meant to be offensive. Just I suppose like how others think it rains in UK all the time. A clichéd view 

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I still have that appalling image burned into  me of leprosy victims on skateboards, pollution, traffic chaos toxic rivers ....this isn't meant to be offensive. Just I suppose like how others think it rains in UK all the time. A clichéd view 

Of course all of those things also exist. I would suggest the fairer cliche would be to compare to things about the UK I hear from some of my European friends; food banks, stabbings, poverty deaths, Jaywick, unemployment etc. 

These are also true but not representative of the whole of the UK. 
Believe me, India is an awesome place to visit. 
What sort of place do you normally go for? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Shit….but it does always rain and get foggy…

or we wouldn’t enyoy Our hot Cocoas,shot of whisky, Irish coffees,weetabix

and a good Indian curry on a cold rainy night..

Mystery Foggy nights…close to our mum & dads hot crumpets nights..

or Samosas…:rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Pollution, chaos, toxic rivers are all still there. Along with roads being built whilst the road remains open, everywhere being a construction site, the whole country being a bin, random ditches at the side of every pavement. But that’s part of the charm, go and see something different. It’ll liven you up and give you an experience far more than France ever can

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

It’s dirt cheap is the main attraction to me lol. Would rather spend a week in a 5* in India living it up then 3 days in a grotty 3* being treated like an everyday schlep in some godforsaken hole like Italy and being charged more money for it. 
But seriously, it’s amazing. Food is unrivalled, the colour, noise, vibrancy and life gets you. You can get anything you desire. Nature, scenery, activity. It’s got it all. Every new state/city I go to has something unique. I work with corporate drones in the uk who think they are ‘great negotiators’ - they have nothing on the street sellers across India. 

I remember the first time I visited, early 90’s, I had a shopping list from friends for stuff to bring back. Ventolin inhalers (cheaper than UK prescription charges at the time), prescription glasses, Tiger Balm cream, Saffron… One person I met went over to have new dentures fitted 😂

• Haha 1

Just now, jgtuk said:

Of course all of those things also exist. I would suggest the fairer cliche would be to compare to things about the UK I hear from some of my European friends; food banks, stabbings, poverty deaths, Jaywick, unemployment etc. 

These are also true but not representative of the whole of the UK. 
Believe me, India is an awesome place to visit. 
What sort of place do you normally go for? 

Good points and good to hear. 

Generally Europe, but states, Japan too. Tomdo.liat far flung are South Africa, Argentina/Chile....but warming to south east Asia, which I've avoided til now for, being honest, the cliches that go with SE Asia and middle ahed westerners 

• Like 1

Just now, Paninistickers said:

Good points and good to hear. 

Generally Europe, but states, Japan too. Tomdo.liat far flung are South Africa, Argentina/Chile....but warming to south east Asia, which I've avoided til now for, being honest, the cliches that go with SE Asia and middle ahed westerners 

Great list there, be sure to add India 👍

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

I remember the first time I visited, early 90’s, I had a shopping list from friends for stuff to bring back. Ventolin inhalers (cheaper than UK prescription charges at the time), prescription glasses, Tiger Balm cream, Saffron… One person I met went over to have new dentures fitted 😂

Same every time for me when travelling east. Go out with a full bag of donated old clothes/goods to give to locals. Come back with a full bag of new tailored clothes, snacks, spices et al. My things for the holiday are hand luggage only 

Edited by grobyfox1990
Typo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, westernpark said:

Off to Southwold for four days next week, sadly miss the fans forum but I need a break prior to hopefully starting a new job.

I hear Adnams have been struggling recently so make sure you drink plenty of their beer when you are there! Sole Bay Inn is a great little pub

4 minutes ago, Chris_OGrady said:

I hear Adnams have been struggling recently so make sure you drink plenty of their beer when you are there! Sole Bay Inn is a great little pub

It’s all a bit confusing what the call for new investment really meant. I personally think they’ve just overreached and this is to ensure their growth is at least sustained. I prefer the Lord Nelson but both are great! I know half the harbour burned down, since the last time I went.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Yeah it's looking stupid expensive for four of us but once in a lifetime etc.

Try Canada affair and look at going around march / April time. I thought it was quite reasonable.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jgtuk said:

Came back from Sri Lanka last week and I loved every minute of it.Would recommend it to anyone.

• Like 1

May/ june are the best months to get around Canada without it being balls hot or tits cold.

Of course i am in st lucia right now and back home the greater Toronto area saw temperatures of 21 celsius which is unheard of in southern ontario mid march.

• Like 1

On 13/03/2024 at 19:24, Izzy said:

Vancouver to Calgary seems favorite atm unless anyone has any better suggestions?

I went to see my sister when she lived in Vancouver in 2016. We drove to Banff and camped there for a few days before heading back - think it was about 10 hours drive each way but we took turns with her mates and it is a pretty drive most of the way. Past half way ish it's as good as any drive in the UK.

Wish we'd had more time there, the area surrounding Banff is the most beautiful I've ever been to. There isn't much in Banff itself so depending on how into nature and walks they are a few days around Banff may be enough.

Vancouver is up there as one of my favourite cities; beaches, an enormous park/forest, continuous waterfront and everything you want from a modern city, I reckon there's plenty to keep the kids entertained!

Can't recommend it enough - any Qs let me know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ajthefox said:

I went to see my sister when she lived in Vancouver in 2016. We drove to Banff and camped there for a few days before heading back - think it was about 10 hours drive each way but we took turns with her mates and it is a pretty drive most of the way. Past half way ish it's as good as any drive in the UK.

Wish we'd had more time there, the area surrounding Banff is the most beautiful I've ever been to. There isn't much in Banff itself so depending on how into nature and walks they are a few days around Banff may be enough.

Vancouver is up there as one of my favourite cities; beaches, an enormous park/forest, continuous waterfront and everything you want from a modern city, I reckon there's plenty to keep the kids entertained!

Can't recommend it enough - any Qs let me know.

Agreed re Vancouver I absolutely loved it there 

• Like 1

On 13/03/2024 at 19:24, Izzy said:

It depends what you are looking for really. but it's a VAST place! 

We did the 2nd half of our honeymoon in Canada but we were in the East. 

We did 3 nights in Montreal, then drive to a beautiful place called Algonquin (It's a national park).... this was then followed by some time in Toronto and finished off in Niagra. 

It was a great combination of Cities and wilderness. 

just in case you aren't aware as well.... they don't sell alcohol in supermarkets, you have to go to a different store and they typically have different opening times. 

Also.... They have different driving laws depending on which state you are in!! In Montreal, we couldn't turn right on a red light.... in Toronto... we had to!! Made it an interesting road trip!! 

thankfully, outside the cities, it's really quiet on the roads and even their back roads are the size of our dual carriageways. 

plan your stops well, as there is sometimes a 2 hour drive without seeing any form of civilisation! 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

It depends what you are looking for really. but it's a VAST place! 

We did the 2nd half of our honeymoon in Canada but we were in the East. 

We did 3 nights in Montreal, then drive to a beautiful place called Algonquin (It's a national park).... this was then followed by some time in Toronto and finished off in Niagra. 

It was a great combination of Cities and wilderness. 

just in case you aren't aware as well.... they don't sell alcohol in supermarkets, you have to go to a different store and they typically have different opening times. 

Also.... They have different driving laws depending on which state you are in!! In Montreal, we couldn't turn right on a red light.... in Toronto... we had to!! Made it an interesting road trip!! 

thankfully, outside the cities, it's really quiet on the roads and even their back roads are the size of our dual carriageways. 

plan your stops well, as there is sometimes a 2 hour drive without seeing any form of civilisation! 

In Ontario you can buy certain alcohol in grocery / super stores now. Your best bet is to buy beer from "The beer store" and other alcohol (wines, whiskeys, beer and.others from the LCBO store).

Lisbon next week.

Got a chance of watching Benfica vs GD Chaves(Bottom team) on the Friday night!

Be good to see a team who doesn't bottle it for a change!! :):ph34r:

For ones who loves travelling to Skegness. Apparently theres plans between on weekends of months of April to September. To run direct train services from London St Pancras to Skegness. The idea is try and boost interest from southern England.

New services will Apparently include stopping at Luton Airport Parkway, Bedford, Kettering, Leicester, Loughborough and East Midlands Parkway.

Edited by Leicesterpool