Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

57 minutes ago, kenny said:

Just got back from Gdansk. Very useful blog, we had a great time, thank you!

Thanks. That's very kind. Trying to find some time to write some more but it's difficult with work!

Where did you get to?

56 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

if you are going to the Amalfi Coast, depending on how you get there, the vesuviana railway is notorious for pick pockets.  I had my phone and wallet taken and I didn't have a clue! didn't feel a thing. so be alert for that, they are super clever. 

In terms of Naples, I felt safe everywhere I went, but the area up near the train station is pretty sketchy, so only go there during the day (there isn't that much to see at that end of town, it's fairly industrial. 

Castel Dell'Ovo and the surrounding area is really nice. Marble lined streets, good restaurants and great for both a day time and  a night time walk. 

But as a top tip, if you head out at about 17:00 anywhere in italy and order a cocktail, they also bring you free food. The italians tend to eat late at night, so "happy hour" is great for topping up on arrancinni! 

There is one long street through the centre of naples that is full of little pop up food stalls (I forget what it's called, but it's worth googling) - you can walk along that one evening and have loads of cheap snacks and great food. 

The underground caverns are fascinating as well, full of relics from WW2.  I'd definitely recommend doing that! 

Also don't bother with fried pizza. Jesus that stuff is heavy.

8 hours ago, Trev3939 said:

anyone got a good suggestion for a cheap place with a good beach but also interesting stuff to look at for summer?

Albania. Coastal resorts are stunning. Really cheap by European standards and some stunning scenery across the country. Not made it to the coast unfortunately, I’m staying in Tirana this week until Thursday. Been to Macedonia as well and doing a day trip to Kosovo tomorrow. Ryanair are starting flights to Tirana from Birmingham imminently as well. 

Just now, DerbyshireFox said:

Albania. Coastal resorts are stunning. Really cheap by European standards and some stunning scenery across the country. Not made it to the coast unfortunately, I’m staying in Tirana this week until Thursday. Been to Macedonia as well and doing a day trip to Kosovo tomorrow. Ryanair are starting flights to Tirana from Birmingham imminently as well. 

Try looking up Ksamil, Sarrande 👍

7 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

The beauty of Rome is that you can literally just walk around and you'll stumble onto things that are incredible: - 

Highlights for me though.

Clearly, you are going to do St. Peters Basillica, but make sure you also do the rooftop. The views across Rome and St Peters is stunning.  I don't like heights, but I loved it up there. 

Someone else has mentioned Trestevere. It's brilliant. Especially in the evenings for food and drink and a really great atmosphere. 

Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain as well as the Pantheon are all pretty close to each other... so try to group them together where you can.  Be careful of pick pockets and scam artists on the Spanish Steps. 

The old Forum is well worth a visit.  Colloseum, Forum and the Emmanualle Vitoria Momument are all pretty much in a straight line with each other, so you can group them together well. 

but the biggest advice I have, is be prepared to get up "relatively" early and get to places early.  Otherwise you'll waste most of your break queueing, even if you buy tickets in advance.  The crowds in Rome can be insane. 

Enjoy the food though, have an aperol spritz and look for traffic when you cross the roads, the Romans are crazy drivers! 

Excellent advice, all I would add is Palatine Hill and maybe the Capuchin Crypt

IMG_0226.thumb.jpg.1cf282db5190d9a5b0a8dbe00adf3e7d.jpg

11 hours ago, ousefox said:

Thanks. That's very kind. Trying to find some time to write some more but it's difficult with work!

Where did you get to?

We mostly followed your lead! Walking tour, sopot then we added the zoo which was only £8 for the 3 of us. We ate at an amazing perogi place and a milk bar.  We caught the last day of the Christmas lights at oliwa park which were stunning.

Gdansk is great though there wasn't lots for a toddler. Thankfully, trams, trains and taxis are the dogs danglies when you are 2!

Brilliant bars in Gdansk as well, special mention for Josef k and the cocktails at pixel.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kenny said:

We mostly followed your lead! Walking tour, sopot then we added the zoo which was only £8 for the 3 of us. We ate at an amazing perogi place and a milk bar.  We caught the last day of the Christmas lights at oliwa park which were stunning.

Gdansk is great though there wasn't lots for a toddler. Thankfully, trams, trains and taxis are the dogs danglies when you are 2!

Brilliant bars in Gdansk as well, special mention for Josef k and the cocktails at pixel.

Really glad I could be of some help! Brilliant you enjoyed it but yep understand it's not going to be perfect for a toddler!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Difficulty is getting to the south coast of Albania. It's about four hours from Tirana. You can do it via ferry from Corfu as well but you almost certainly need a car unless you are patient or have the money to arrange a transfer. 

On 06/02/2024 at 22:48, Daggers said:

Fancied going for a while now - how can a country that lionises Norman Wisdom be anything but awesome?

Forgot about that…. He was seen as the face of oppressed classes against the capitalist pigs, so his films were allowed…. He was worshipped out there…

9 hours ago, Trev3939 said:

Anyone been to Maspalomas or Gran Canaria. Heard mixed things and thinking about going there. Recommend? 

We have been a few times and like it there.

You will see a lot of penis on the beach however and I don't recommend a 'nature' walk through the dunes at night time.