Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On 2017-5-4 at 21:20, Great Boos Up said:

Not glamorous but managed to save to book an autistic friendly hotel for a week at skeggy.

Just broke the news and my wife and boy are bouncing off the walls. I feel like a real dad for the first time providing something positive to my family to look forward to.

Fantastic! Much prefer seeing this than people bored of yet another trip to the Bahamas. Hope you have a great time mate. 

GBU - do you mind if i ask if there's anything specific that makes a hotel 'autistic friendly'? Genuine question out of pure curiosity.

12 hours ago, The Blur said:

I recommend downloading maps.me app.  You can then pin locations on the app so you can end up with assorted pins of tourist attractions or restaurants that you want to visit.  It is also able to work without data (you just need to download the country you are visiting beforehand)  so you can use it to navigate around as well.  

Nice one. 

Downloaded it last night, took me a while to get to grips with it but was soon adding lots of places to the map. 

12 hours ago, toddybad said:

Fantastic! Much prefer seeing this than people bored of yet another trip to the Bahamas. Hope you have a great time mate. 

GBU - do you mind if i ask if there's anything specific that makes a hotel 'autistic friendly'? Genuine question out of pure curiosity.

Sensory rooms to calm anxiety and non scheduled individual meals. Otherwise children can get information overloaded and explode or in my case stop eating/drinking until they crash.

Looking for suggestions for somewhere sunny during the school holidays as I work in a school. Not too bothered about it being a party place or anything, just want to chill and hopefully not have to spend a fortune. If there's some nice places to eat and a few things to do in the day that'd be great and preferably have no reps about cos they did our head in on our last holiday. 

Cheers

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

Anybody been, lived, worked, holidayed in Budapest?

I'm off in a couple of weeks obviously been told to do Ruin Bars, 360 Bar and the baths but anything I shouldn't miss?

Only went for a week about ten years ago but loved it. You'll enjoy Buda Castle if you like history.

It's basically two cities in one divided by the Danube, Buda is the cultural part, iconic buildings, the baths etc and then Pest is pretty much the "lively" side of the

Be careful in the strip bars at night, you can end up with a very big Hungarian marching you to a cash machine.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

Only went for a week about ten years ago but loved it. You'll enjoy Buda Castle if you like history.

It's basically two cities in one divided by the Danube, Buda is the cultural part, iconic buildings, the baths etc and then Pest is pretty much the "lively" side of the

Be careful in the strip bars at night, you can end up with a very big Hungarian marching you to a cash machine.

I'll brief my wife on that scenario in advance...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, baker11 said:

Just booked 4 days in Glasgow and Edinburgh. 

Well thats all fine and dandy but no use to me in Budapest now is it?

Stayed in Edinburgh in October last year for a few nights here:

The upgraded suites are seriously something else:

http://www.tigerlilyedinburgh.co.uk      Also has its own club underneath the hotel.

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

I'm off in a couple of weeks obviously been told to do Ruin Bars, 360 Bar and the baths but anything I shouldn't miss?

Szimpla Kert is quite a cool bar/area if you're young-ish. 

• Like 1

In Dubrovnik now and the weather if baffling. In the first 6 hours of me being here I got soaked, incredibly sun burnt and then was freezing my bollocks off.

Lovely place though, was hoping to get over to Lokrum today but it's a bit windy so the boat is cancelled.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

Buda castle labyrinth / dark room is not bad, if you are pulling in a bit of culture. Pitch black, no lights for a while, unnerved me big time, but glad I went in. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

been twice, my favourite city in the world. There's an all you can eat (and drink) restaurant. Think it's called troffea grille. About £16 and you can even have cocktails in that price. 

If you want something a bit random go the pinball museum. It's got 180 pinball machines , table football tables, vintage arcade games. It's £6 and you can play for as long as you want. 

• Like 2

On 2017-5-11 at 21:43, Ozwin said:

Looking for suggestions for somewhere sunny during the school holidays as I work in a school. Not too bothered about it being a party place or anything, just want to chill and hopefully not have to spend a fortune. If there's some nice places to eat and a few things to do in the day that'd be great and preferably have no reps about cos they did our head in on our last holiday. 

Cheers

Rovinj, Croatia. Beaut.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BoyJones said:

Buda castle labyrinth / dark room is not bad, if you are pulling in a bit of culture. Pitch black, no lights for a while, unnerved me big time, but glad I went in. 

Call me stupid but what is the point of walking about in a pitch black room? 

8 hours ago, The Blur said:

Call me stupid but what is the point of walking about in a pitch black room? 

Fair point, but I think it's like a test of courage in a way. Completely stygmian dark clammy stone chamber, I was sliding one foot in front of the other because you literally can't see a thing. 

That was about 10 years ago, so possibly now they have made it more tourist friendly and less of challenge.

Booked a last minute week to Kefalonia. Anyone been and knows what we must do or should avoid? We're hiring a car and want to drive up the mountain, and I was thinking about a boat trip to Zante to see the shipwreck on the beach. 

On 12/05/2017 at 09:48, Swan Lesta said:

Have you been yet ? I've heard it's really good but nothing very specific 

Just now, The People's Hero said:

Yeah full report to follow later as the lager here is dirty and gives me a headache unlike the £1.10 a pint local nectar over there...

5 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

I went for a long weekend for a stag do last year. The architecture is spectacular if that's your sort of thing, got a decent zoo, the hot springs are decent if it's sunny, though be prepared for any women in your party to be ogled by locals. The beer isn't the best but even the branded beers are still ridiculously cheap. In fact, almost everything is insanely cheap from what I found. The area down by the river isn't too bad when it opens up, with outdoor dining etc. The park with all the Communist era statues and monuments is fairly interesting too, again, if that's your thing.