Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

41 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Booked next month to fly to Budapest on a Monday and back from Vienna on Saturday. Planning to take in Bratislava in between and go between all 3 by train.

How many days would people recommend in each and the main things to do/see?

Vienna's an amazing city. I liked it much more than I thought I would. Less Germanic than I expected and more South - Central European, especially in the summer. You could spend all day in any one of the galleries or museums there.

I never thought much of Bratislava, one of the less interesting Central European cities imo.

Edited by bovril

12 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Booked next month to fly to Budapest on a Monday and back from Vienna on Saturday. Planning to take in Bratislava in between and go between all 3 by train.

Had 3 nights in Budapest a couple of years ago and that felt about right, You've got the obvious like Szechenyi baths, Szimpla Kert and the other ruin bars. Get yourself over to 

Margaret Island if you get a chance too. Not sure who you're going with, but if it's the lads a beer bike is for sure worth a shout.

1 hour ago, Simi said:

Had 3 nights in Budapest a couple of years ago and that felt about right, You've got the obvious like Szechenyi baths, Szimpla Kert and the other ruin bars. Get yourself over to 

Margaret Island if you get a chance too. Not sure who you're going with, but if it's the lads a beer bike is for sure worth a shout.

With my missus. She can learn to pedal though.

Cheers for the tips mate. :thumbup:

13 hours ago, bovril said:

Vienna's an amazing city. I liked it much more than I thought I would. Less Germanic than I expected and more South - Central European, especially in the summer. You could spend all day in any one of the galleries or museums there.

I never thought much of Bratislava, one of the less interesting Central European cities imo.

Looks like the Old Town etc is easily doable in under a day, I love a good walking tour. Just another city/country to tick off for me tbh. Got a bit of an obsession with visiting every EU nation before it becomes a massive ballache to get into any of them.

1 hour ago, goose2010 said:

Booked to go to Barcelona with the misses, going to watch Barca Vs Espanyol whilst we are there.

If anyone has any tips or decent places to go in Barca any advice would be appreciated

We used the hop on hop off bus whilst we were there. Very easy and practical, drops you off at all the sites. I'd recommend that. Certainly take in as much of the Gaudi stuff as you can, but try and be clever with the timings as in the late morning some of it is just too busy to enjoy.

Visit the Magic Fountains at night and see the light show. We also did a Segway tour of Barcelona which was great fun even if we had seen most of the sites by then anyway.

We stayed at hotel duquesa de cardona, lovely hotel. Well worth a visit to the rooftop bar there, overlooking the port.

Edited by Simi
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, goose2010 said:

Booked to go to Barcelona with the misses, going to watch Barca Vs Espanyol whilst we are there.

If anyone has any tips or decent places to go in Barca any advice would be appreciated

Walking tour of the Barri Gotic is very good (free ones start at Placa de Catalunya). In fact, the Barri Gotic is a great place to hang out overall - recommend a visit to a little boozer called Sincopa there.

Also worth spending an evening at the Pinxo bars on Carrer de Blai, which offer little Euro snacks on cocktail sticks. Go up and get as many as you want then just count the sticks at the end! Nice atmosphere there. Poble Sec is the nearest Metro.

Agree on the hop on, hop off bus too. Best way to see all of the city.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Looks like the Old Town etc is easily doable in under a day, I love a good walking tour. Just another city/country to tick off for me tbh. Got a bit of an obsession with visiting every EU nation before it becomes a massive ballache to get into any of them.

You should go to Romania. Beautiful unspoilt parts of the carpathians that might not stay the same much longer.

1 hour ago, bovril said:

You should go to Romania. Beautiful unspoilt parts of the carpathians that might not stay the same much longer.

Yeah, do fancy going there at some point. Had a Romanian cabbie the other week who convinced me it's the go-to destination.

Arrived in Orlando last night.

its not what you know it's who you know.

HUMBLEBRAG ALERT

Debut in upper class.Flights return for 4 of us £750.

My friend who we are with is crew.Amazing experience having a bed and a bar area to sit at.

However if I was paying the full amount I'm not sure it would be worth it.

• Like 2

On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 19:50, Voll Blau said:

iBooked next month to fly to Budapest on a Monday and back from Vienna on Saturday. Planning to take in Bratislava in between and go between all 3 by train.

I had 3 days in Bratislava and went to Vienna for the day on the train. You can easily do Bratislava in a day. There's a free walking tour that takes in all the sites. If you have time go to Devin Castle. It's about 20 minutes on a bus from the city centre and it's stunning. 

Budapest is my favourite city in the world and I've been to 23 countries now. There's a restaurant called troffea grille which is all you can eat and drink for about £15 , and included cocktails. 

7 hours ago, Libertine said:

Still trying to decide where to go on honeymoon next year. Looking at maybe Italy/Greece. Some lovely places but we like there to be a fair amount of stuff to do like museums etc. Epirus looks good.

We've just come back from our mini-moon in Madrid. Loads of Museums there and cheap flights with Ryanair. 

7 hours ago, Libertine said:

Still trying to decide where to go on honeymoon next year. Looking at maybe Italy/Greece. Some lovely places but we like there to be a fair amount of stuff to do like museums etc. Epirus looks good.

The northern part of Greece (Epirus, Macedonia and Rodopi) is fascinating, such an interesting mix of history, culrure and landscape, but it's a bit wild and infrastructure isn't great. I love the Peloponnese, especially round Mani. Skopelos is my favourite island but there's not much to do unless you like monasteries and beaches (I do).

In Italy, I always love going to Umbria and Abruzzo. As beautiful as Tuscany but less crowded. Umbria has a lot to see, some amazing art and architecture in Perugia, Spello, Gubbio, Spoleto, Orvieto etc. Abruzzo is more for nature but still lots of interesting stuff.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wookie said:

@bovril how many European countries have you been to? It seems as though you've been to most central, and south easterly countries. Is it just Italy and Bulgaria you've lived in? 

Yeah that's the one. Stayed in Istanbul a couple of months but wouldn't say I 'lived' there. So mostly south and east, don't know anything about Spain or France or Germany.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bovril said:

Yeah that's the one. Stayed in Istanbul a couple of months but wouldn't say I 'lived' there. So mostly south and east, don't know anything about Spain or France or Germany.

If you need to know anything about Benidorm you know how to contact me.:cool:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cambridgefox said:

Arrived in Orlando last night.

its not what you know it's who you know.

HUMBLEBRAG ALERT

Debut in upper class.Flights return for 4 of us £750.

My friend who we are with is crew.Amazing experience having a bed and a bar area to sit at.

However if I was paying the full amount I'm not sure it would be worth it.

If I wasn't here with the wife and kids on holiday, I'd ask if you want to meet up on Friday to watch the game mate :)

Whereabouts in Orlando are you staying? We're at the south end of International Drive about 5 mins from Seaworld :thumbup: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

If I wasn't here with the wife and kids on holiday, I'd ask if you want to meet up on Friday to watch the game mate :)

Whereabouts in Orlando are you staying? We're at the south end of International Drive about 5 mins from Seaworld :thumbup: 

Mate,I was there this evening!

Championsgate,Retreat.

You doing the parks ?

We have a 2 week pass if you are going could always meet up for a chat.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cambridgefox said:

Mate,I was there this evening!

Championsgate,Retreat.

You doing the parks ?

We have a 2 week pass if you are going could always meet up for a chat.

Small world!

Yes mate, doing all the parks and the wife has got every single day planned with military precision lol

Today is the new Universal water park Volcano Bay. 

Will PM you what we're up to and take this off line before we piss everyone else off :D

Have a great time and maybe see you for a chat if our paths cross!

• Like 1

On 8/8/2017 at 10:59, Voll Blau said:

Yeah, do fancy going there at some point. Had a Romanian cabbie the other week who convinced me it's the go-to destination.

Thing with Romania is that Ceaucescu was a bastard but he wasn't as ideologically driven as leaders in other countries - hence why he was Britain's favourite Communist dictator. So forced collectivization wasn't as brutal as in neighbouring Bulgaria or Ukraine. The peasants were left alone more, so the countryside survived as it was and you have incredible parts of Transylvania, Bucovina and Maramures where villages have remained virtually unchanged for centuries, it's like a fairytale in some places. It's one country I wish I'd spent more time in.

Edited by bovril