Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Its hard to find nice places to go like this where you can take the dog, a really good find thanks. 

No problem. I went for 3 days in Jan and going back in May, genuinely one of the best places I've been to anywhere.

Stunning walks along the river, absolutely in the arse end of nowhere and you can't even get a phone signal. Bliss.

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

No problem. I went for 3 days in Jan and going back in May, genuinely one of the best places I've been to anywhere.

Stunning walks along the river, absolutely in the arse end of nowhere and you can't even get a phone signal. Bliss.

Not sure the kids will thank me if I book this in place of center parcs but I'm seriously considering it. Maybe a weekend away with the missus instead.

Has anyone been to Riviera Maya? Thoughts?

Went to Cancun a few years back and loved it but said if we were to return to Mexico we'd opt for Riviera Maya as there seemed to be a lot of interesting looking day trips / sights to see. 

The missus now doesn't seem to be able to contemplate going anywhere other than there, ideally I'd lean towards visiting a new country to check off my list. 

55 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

Went to Cancun a few years back and loved it but said if we were to return to Mexico we'd opt for Riviera Maya as there seemed to be a lot of interesting looking day trips / sights to see. 

The missus now doesn't seem to be able to contemplate going anywhere other than there, ideally I'd lean towards visiting a new country to check off my list. 

Switch it up. You could be mistaken for a gringo mexican drug runner and be assassinated. 

I went to antigua for my honeymoon and it was awesome. Costly compared to mexico but then again if you don't go that part of the world often  then go big!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JimmyB said:

I've been to Cancun twice in the past six months, bloody love it. Stayed on site the whole time [it was the Occidental Barcelo in the Hotel zone] but it had everything I needed. Spring Break earlier this month was very interesting! Didn't know it was SB at the time but great fun.

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I've been to Cancun twice in the past six months, bloody love it. Stayed on site the whole time [it was the Occidental Barcelo in the Hotel zone] but it had everything I needed. Spring Break earlier this month was very interesting! Didn't know it was SB at the time but great fun.

Sounds like you struck gold, stumbling upon spring break :wasyl:

I previously stayed at the Beach Palace and thought it was outstanding, I get the impression the service and atmosphere in hotels would be excellent throughout Cancun. 

6 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Switch it up. You could be mistaken for a gringo mexican drug runner and be assassinated. 

I went to antigua for my honeymoon and it was awesome. Costly compared to mexico but then again if you don't go that part of the world often  then go big!

:schlupp:

Its definitely high on my list but I'd say places like Antigua are next / honeymoon level. Maybe a consideration for 2018! 

11 hours ago, JimmyB said:

Playa del Carmen is basically a mini Cancun these days. Puerto Morelos and Tulum are quieter. If you value all-inclusive, access to nightlife etc, choose Cancun or Playa del Carmen.

Day trips in that part of the world could be to Tulum, Valladolid, Chichen Itza and diving/swimming the Cenotes (stunning). They're all pretty easily accessible from anywhere around there.

Having said that, if going to the beach wasn't of that much concern, I'd probably choose other parts of Mexico for "sight-seeing". 

12 hours ago, JimmyB said:

Went two years ago, loved it stoped in peurto adventous (sp?!) it is like a resort with about 4 hotels in it around a golf coarse. If you go DEFINITELY go to Xcaret its one of the best days out ive ever done swimming in the underground rivers is amazing. If you have a go pro take it if you dont i would get one!

I dont go to mexico because canadians seem to die when we go there.  Small percentage of course and jamaica actually has worse murder stats for canadian citizens i believe. Having said that too much violence in mexico with drug cartels that i just avoid it. I know that I'd want to go off the resort and seeing as i could pass for being Indian or Spanish or portuguese i might be mistaken  for pablo lol

On 23/03/2017 at 17:27, bovril said:

Edinburgh is beautiful. Glasgow's great fun and close to some beautiful parts.

The coast around whitby and Robin Hood Bay is quite nice.

Went for Robin Hood Bay,  I did not realise it was bank holiday weekend on the dates that I was looking at so everywhere was fully booked.  I looked on Airbnb and found a lovely small gypsy caravan to stay in.  So if anyone are looking to go to Robin Hood Bay in the near future, this may be a good alternative and something unique to surprise your other half.

Looking forward to that weekend even more now! 

4cfc9df6-bf4e-48ca-9268-60354d6d15cd.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/03/2017 at 14:03, Jattdogg said:

I dont go to mexico because canadians seem to die when we go there.  Small percentage of course and jamaica actually has worse murder stats for canadian citizens i believe. Having said that too much violence in mexico with drug cartels that i just avoid it. I know that I'd want to go off the resort and seeing as i could pass for being Indian or Spanish or portuguese i might be mistaken  for pablo lol

Go San Felipe in baja, great place 

I've been 5 times and never had any problems or trouble although I'm not Canadian 

3 nights at the Sir Albert in Amsterdam, beginning of June.

Just emailed them saying it's our anniversary (it really is) to see if we can blag a free bottle of wine, room upgrade or something.  What I did request is a room with a half decent view.  Tired of overlooking a car park, air conditioning units or being overlooked by people working in an office as I stand there at the window in just my Y-fronts

3 minutes ago, Turtles Head said:

Booked 2 weeks in Slovenia for August. Flying to Ljubljana, planning on spending 3-4 days there before heading to the coast. Back to Ljubljana for the flight home. Anyone been before?

Coast is ok, Piran is very nice, Koper not as much. Not much in the way of beaches, but some nice spots throughout the Istrian peninsula especially in Croatia if you want to head a little bit further south, area round Motovun is rather bucolic and there's some good food and wine spots.

Slovenian mountains are obviously really beautiful. Especially round Bohinj.

2 weeks is a long time so I'd try and get to some other places. Trieste is a city with a lot of old world, melancholic charm. There are little 'osmice' in the hills on the Italy / Slovenia border that sell local food and wine. Great places to get drunk and relax. Best pizzeria I've been to outside of Southern Italy is in Trieste, too. The whole city has a great atmosphere that's hard to put your finger on.

If you really want to venture further afield take a boat from Rijeka (2 and a half hour drive from Ljublljana) to one of the islands like Rab or Cres. It's not far but really worth it, especially in the heat of August.

I know that area very well so feel free to ask about any specifics.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

Going LA, Vegas, San Diego in feb

Singh you always in america, you got some serious cash to burn? Hehe  

I havent booked any vacation yet. Dunno where to go with a wife and 4 and 2 year old. Disney  is too much for them. Plus im not willing to spend my cash across the border in america. No-a-thank-you.

Want to  visit my 88 year old grandfather in leicester but might have a wedding to attend in england next year  as well. 

Iceland anyone?