Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

30 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Booked Abu Dhabi and Dubai in Octobet

Went to Abu Dhabi in April. Loved it. 

Where abouts you staying? 

Can deffo recommend yas waterworld. Didn't go to Ferrari world though as the missus and kids aren't bothered for that kind of thing. 

Also managed Dubai the year before. Very ott but good (in a kind of sober Vegas kind if way). Burj khalifa is a must, fountains outside are ace at night too. 

Weather will be just right in October as well.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

Wow, seems like half of Foxestalk is in Orlando lol.

I've been here for two weeks and unfortunately going home tomorrow. Done all the parks though, would recommend both Universal parks they are absolutely brilliant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Osavo said:

I've been here for two weeks and unfortunately going home tomorrow. Done all the parks though, would recommend both Universal parks they are absolutely brilliant. 

Safe trip back mate.

We did the new Universal water park Volcano Bay today. It was fvckin heaving and we arrived a bit too late really :(

We'll be off to Universal Sudios and Islands of Adventure again over the next two weeks and you're right, they're both brilliant.

We love it here but it's peak time and hot as hell :cool:

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Safe trip back mate.

We did the new Universal water park Volcano Bay today. It was fvckin heaving and we arrived a bit too late really :(

We'll be off to Universal Sudios and Islands of Adventure again over the next two weeks and you're right, they're both brilliant.

Thanks mate.

We tried to get into Volcano Bay last week at about half past 8 and it was already full, but having heard some of the reviews regarding queuing I can't say I'm too disappointed. 

Having said that, the queues at Studios and Islands of Adventure were pretty decent. We got in at 9 for both of them, went on all the rides (some twice) and queued no longer than 45 minutes for anything. 

20 hours ago, Wakeyfox said:

Can deffo recommend yas waterworld. Didn't go to Ferrari world though as the missus and kids aren't bothered for that kind of thing. 

Also managed Dubai the year before. Very ott but good (in a kind of sober Vegas kind if way). Burj khalifa is a must, fountains outside are ace at night too. 

Enjoy!

Not booked a hotel yet, so thanks for the advice

20 hours ago, Wakeyfox said:

Enjoy!

Any other advice about Abu dhabi, I don't really know too much about the place?

2 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

Any other advice about Abu dhabi, I don't really know too much about the place?

Depends what you want to do really.

We stayed at the Hilton on corniche  road, mainly because of the beach club which was really great. We (my wife) read tons of reviews for different places but this was the best in our price range. Corniche is really stunning, public beaches are great and everything is mega clean and safe.

The hilton was 15 mins walk to the marina mall which is pretty new and has literally everything in it, including the biggest supermarket I've ever been in in the basement. Also got cinema, big trampolining place, eating places etc...

It's really expensive in restaurants for food and beer (£8 a pint) so it's well worth going for half board if you can, probably cheaper in the end. The hilton had about 10 restaurants which you could use anyway. 

Taxis are fairly cheap, no metro like in Dubai really. The only downside to the location was it was 40 mins in a taxi to yas island for the waterpark, Ferrari world etc, which is why we only went there once . 

Can't recommend the Hilton enough really, if you join their rewards programme  (which is free) you get good discounts as well.

If you can be arsed to fly indirectly you can save quite a bit as ba and etihad have got the monopoly on direct flights from the UK so charge whatever they want.

Hope this helps!

Thinking of booking 10 days in Tuscany. Flights will probably be to and from Pisa so would like to do a route that starts and finishes there. I'll definitely go back to Florence but haven't seen anything else of the region if anybody has any tips or hidden gems worth visiting?

35 minutes ago, Watson said:

Thinking of booking 10 days in Tuscany. Flights will probably be to and from Pisa so would like to do a route that starts and finishes there. I'll definitely go back to Florence but haven't seen anything else of the region if anybody has any tips or hidden gems worth visiting?

In Florence, go to museo di San Marco, preferably early in the morning. It's a former monastery where the cells were painted by Fra Angelico one of the monks. It's much more beautiful than the more famous places and can be empty early in the morning. Santa Felicita is another beautiful, often missed church.

My favourite local is Trattoria Benvenuto. 

Out of Florence, it's nice to take the train to Borgo San Lorenzo and stop off at a little village on the way.

Siena is amazing but crowded. Lucca is a little calmer. The coast near Grosseto is stunning. Some of the villages near Vinci are very bucolic and good to escape the heat.

27 minutes ago, bovril said:

In Florence, go to museo di San Marco, preferably early in the morning. It's a former monastery where the cells were painted by Fra Angelico one of the monks. It's much more beautiful than the more famous places and can be empty early in the morning. Santa Felicita is another beautiful, often missed church.

Out of Florence, it's nice to take the train to Borgo San Lorenzo and stop off at a little village on the way.

Siena is amazing but crowded. Lucca is a little calmer. The coast near Grosseto is stunning. Some of the villages near Vinci are very bucolic and good to escape the heat.

Thanks very much for all the recommendations. Didn't do any of those when I was last in Florence and I've wanted to see The Annunciation by Fra Angelico for a while. Hoping to get back to the Uffizi as half of it seemed to be closed last time I was there. 

Aiming to go at the end of September so really hope it isn't as busy as it was when I went in July a couple of years ago. I've read a few articles about tourists taking over cities recently and Florence in the middle of July was absolutely crazy.

8 minutes ago, Watson said:

Thanks very much for all the recommendations. Didn't do any of those when I was last in Florence and I've wanted to see The Annunciation by Fra Angelico for a while. Hoping to get back to the Uffizi as half of it seemed to be closed last time I was there. 

Aiming to go at the end of September so really hope it isn't as busy as it was when I went in July a couple of years ago. I've read a few articles about tourists taking over cities recently and Florence in the middle of July was absolutely crazy.

One of the most beautiful paintings from the renaissance I think, it's amazing when you walk up the stairs and see it for the first time. 

End of September is perfect, it'll be gorgeous. 

• Like 1

After being inspired by Voll Blau's post the other day about making the most of Europe before traveling throughout becomes more of a ball ache or more expensive I'm looking into interrailing next summer. The preliminary destinations are Berlin, Warsaw, Budapest and Prague so far and was just wondering about advice on destinations etc...

I think I can remember Scouse and thessexfox having done it previously so any input would be grand chaps

7 hours ago, bovril said:

Doing a tour from Germany (Home)   Sienna, Voltera, montepulciano....Castiglione della Pescaia/Grosseto area

End with and around Lucca, before driving north back to Germany...If time allows Cinque Terra though some

Coastal walks are Closed for a years repair

I had planned this in June but due to my fight against the Cancer-dragon, I had to Cancel  it ,then  Rearrange.

Hoping I am fit enough to see it out. 1st 10hrs, driving to Bologna With long breaks.

Cant walk long distances, so enjoying countryside and city surroundings, plus Late season beach time.

A week in Chalet on the beach.

Florence and Pisa I did 12 and 8yrs ago, and we did it all, over and underground. Beautiful.

Siena and Lucca being Smaller wont be such challenge.

I am glad I travelled and trekked when I was younger, Long day Self  Trekking tours are well out, being

Now disabled. 1-2km walks in 2-3hrs is now my maximum.Or day in towns like Lucca is my limit.

Volterra , Montereggio could be a challenge.Etrusca and anthropology my big Interest.So hope I can

Slowly visit some pre-roman sites.

Though many small towns Like Volterra/Lucca/Siens are museums Within themselves.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2017 at 18:29, Wookie said:

After being inspired by Voll Blau's post the other day about making the most of Europe before traveling throughout becomes more of a ball ache or more expensive I'm looking into interrailing next summer. The preliminary destinations are Berlin, Warsaw, Budapest and Prague so far and was just wondering about advice on destinations etc...

I think I can remember Scouse and thessexfox having done it previously so any input would be grand chaps

Ljbubljana is really beautiful, between Ljbubljana and Budapest there's some great scenery. 

You could go from Ljbubljana to Trieste which is a really interesting and unique city. 

• Like 1

got back from nice the other day. bloody expensive gaff. nice though. solid beach and beverage holiday. went to monaco for a day, place is off its tits. not even sure how rich people afford to live there. 

On 8/11/2017 at 18:29, Wookie said:

we did

the dam - berlin - prague - bratislava - budapest - zagreb - split 

possibly not in that order, i can't remember. sounds about right though. we did 2/3 nights in each place and ended with 4 nights in split on the beach.

obviously the starting point is the train pass, think we got one that allowed like 7 or 8 "trips" over the space of a month, any train any day. pretty simple. we had a rough idea of where and when we were gonna go but were pretty easy to decide to stay an extra day in some places and skip a day in those we thought weren't worth hanging about in. for example, bratislava was never part of the "plan", we planned to do vienna instead when we drew up a rough idea of the summer, but got chatting to some girls in prague who'd been to vienna and after about 10 minutes of "getting to know us" decided to inform us we did not belong in vienna looking at art galleries and pretending to know who mozart was. so we followed them to bratislava instead. 

we booked hostels the day before we decided to move on, cos there was 7 of us and we found that a decent chunk of places had 6 bed rooms so just turning up would've meant splitting us as a group etc or getting told there was no room at the inn. but depending on who you go with (or if you go alone) most people we met were just alone or in duos so turned up to places on the day and asked to stay with no real dramas. 

other decent tips are things like money (loads of eastern european countries conveniently don't use the euro, it's not a great idea to turn up to a hostel at midnight or 3am or whatever time you're travelling and try to book a room with no currency), night trains are horrible but probably worth it, don't miss a day through travelling and don't have to pay for a bed in a hostel. 

everyone we met along the way was great, hostels are great places for meeting mad people. which is why it's best to be flexible and not book much in advance. no point getting somewhere, meeting some sound birds who tell you to go here, do that with them and definitely don't go and see this if you've already spent half your budget tying yourself down to something else if you get me. 

just make it up as you go along, get drunk every day on the local ale and get sunburnt and lost. best few weeks of your life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScouseFox said:

we did

the dam - berlin - prague - bratislava - budapest - zagreb - split 

possibly not in that order, i can't remember. sounds about right though. we did 2/3 nights in each place and ended with 4 nights in split on the beach.

obviously the starting point is the train pass, think we got one that allowed like 7 or 8 "trips" over the space of a month, any train any day. pretty simple. we had a rough idea of where and when we were gonna go but were pretty easy to decide to stay an extra day in some places and skip a day in those we thought weren't worth hanging about in. for example, bratislava was never part of the "plan", we planned to do vienna instead when we drew up a rough idea of the summer, but got chatting to some girls in prague who'd been to vienna and after about 10 minutes of "getting to know us" decided to inform us we did not belong in vienna looking at art galleries and pretending to know who mozart was. so we followed them to bratislava instead. 

we booked hostels the day before we decided to move on, cos there was 7 of us and we found that a decent chunk of places had 6 bed rooms so just turning up would've meant splitting us as a group etc or getting told there was no room at the inn. but depending on who you go with (or if you go alone) most people we met were just alone or in duos so turned up to places on the day and asked to stay with no real dramas. 

other decent tips are things like money (loads of eastern european countries conveniently don't use the euro, it's not a great idea to turn up to a hostel at midnight or 3am or whatever time you're travelling and try to book a room with no currency), night trains are horrible but probably worth it, don't miss a day through travelling and don't have to pay for a bed in a hostel. 

everyone we met along the way was great, hostels are great places for meeting mad people. which is why it's best to be flexible and not book much in advance. no point getting somewhere, meeting some sound birds who tell you to go here, do that with them and definitely don't go and see this if you've already spent half your budget tying yourself down to something else if you get me. 

just make it up as you go along, get drunk every day on the local ale and get sunburnt and lost. best few weeks of your life. 

Cheers scouse, useful to know as all the travel websites are a bit wishy-washy

On 10/08/2017 at 01:01, Izzy Muzzett said:
On 09/08/2017 at 23:27, Osavo said:

Safe trip back mate.

Hope you had fun! - How was/is it?? Would you recommend - we have a 9 and a 4 year old...

Looking at going next year but want to avoid summer term madness if possible...Is it mega-busy? (I struggle with the queues at Legoland, tbh and don't really want to be standing around for hours on end on my holiday).

Is 2 weeks too long - or not enough time? :huh:

4 hours ago, Milo said:

Hope you had fun! - How was/is it?? Would you recommend - we have a 9 and a 4 year old...

Looking at going next year but want to avoid summer term madness if possible...Is it mega-busy? (I struggle with the queues at Legoland, tbh and don't really want to be standing around for hours on end on my holiday).

Is 2 weeks too long - or not enough time? :huh:

Our kids were 6 and 8 the first time we came here two years ago and they thought it was magical. We did 2 weeks but not long enough to fit everything in so came back again last year for another two weeks. Then realised there was STILL things we hadn't done so came back for the final time this year (to do Discovery Cove and Busch Gardens mainly)

TBH some of it felt a bit samey and repetitive this time so you could probably do everything in one trip in three weeks if you plan it properly I reckon.

I'd definitely suggest not coming in the middle of August if you can help it. We've got little choice on dates with the wife's job and kids off school during in the summer holidays. It's crazy busy and very hot and humid so doesn't feel very restful really. I know people who have visited at Easter or Xmas and said its much less busy and the weather more bearable (and a bit cheaper)

The only way to beat the queues this time of year is to buy express/fast passes. Disney parks give you three fast passes free per day but then you have to queue for the rest and it's a bit of a logistical nightmare booking them in advance as the best rides get pre booked very quickly this time of year.

Seaworld fast passes are about £40 each and well worth it but Universal express passes are very expensive. We did it again this year but it cost the four of us £500 for fast passes for the day on top of the cost of the park tickets. Madness really but we did all the rides and could have spent all day queuing for about 4 rides instead.

So all in all yes, I'd thouroughly recommend it but it's not cheap. Could have paid a big chunk of the mortgage off instead of coming here the last three years but fvck it. The kids are only young once and they'll be wanting to do their own thing soon.

It's Skeggy or Clacton for our summer holidays now for the next few years lol

6 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

It's Skeggy or Clacton for our summer holidays now for the next few years lol

I hear it's nearly as good as Florida... 

thanks for the reply - Jeez, sounds a bit pricey, though   :o

Those Q-bot things are depressing, but necessary. No point in going all that way and not maximise the rides. But £500...

I was thinking 2 weeks would be too much and we'd be kicking our heels for the last few days, guess I was wrong!! I am a fan of cruising (ships, not bars), so was looking at a weeks parks and then a weeks cruise around the Caribbean to recover - doesn't sound like it would be long enough, though. Will re-assess. 

Glad you had had a good time - and cheers for the info. Might give you a shout nearer the time if we do decide to go, if that's ok. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Milo said:

Those Q-bot things are depressing, but necessary. No point in going all that way and not maximise the rides. But £500...

I was thinking 2 weeks would be too much and we'd be kicking our heels for the last few days, guess I was wrong!! I am a fan of cruising (ships, not bars), so was looking at a weeks parks and then a weeks cruise around the Caribbean to recover - doesn't sound like it would be long enough, though. Will re-assess. 

Glad you had had a good time - and cheers for the info. Might give you a shout nearer the time if we do decide to go, if that's ok. 

Few days in Miami? you can get a coach to there from Florida (cheap) and the beach/sea is cracking, plenty to do... an apartment in Miami aint to bad price wise either.

6 hours ago, Milo said:

Of course mate, any questions about it please do shout.

I really like the idea of a Disney cruise next but the wife reckons it will be too boring and not enough for the kids to do - which is bollux.

As a price guide I'd say 2 weeks in Orlando for a family of 4 ranges between 8-14k all in, depending on where you stay and when you go. 

We've had one 'rest' day this time and done different theme/water parks each day. There's so much to do you certainly won't be kicking your heels!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Of course mate, any questions about it please do shout.

I really like the idea of a Disney cruise next but the wife reckons it will be too boring and not enough for the kids to do - which is bollux.

As a price guide I'd say 2 weeks in Orlando for a family of 4 ranges between 8-14k all in, depending on where you stay and when you go. 

We've had one 'rest' day this time and done different theme/water parks each day. There's so much to do you certainly won't be kicking your heels!

:o

I might be joining you in Skeggy, then!

Although I suppose if you're going to go all the way to Orlando, there's not much point being a skinflint, might as well spend a bit more and do it properly - still, just a bit depressing to see all my hard(ish) earned money disappearing.

We usually do a cruise every year or so - its the only holiday that I've found where I can actually be on holiday for a bit. Kids clubs are unbelievable and the kids can't wait to wolf down their meals so they can go back to the clubs...leaving me and the wife to chill with a glass of something cold and wet! Evenings are the same - if you want to offload the kids you can go to dinner and late bar and they'll look after them..(which we tend to do most evenings) :whistle:

Would be a nice way to chill after doing the Disneyworld thing - I'll give you a shout and see whats best to do with about 10 days there.

• Like 1