Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

If all 3 GK's were fully fit, who should be our No.1?

379 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be our Number 1?

• Kasper Schmiechel
    • Ben Hamer
    • Mark Schwarzer

How dod he chuck away a point against Spurs?

If the wall, which he positioned correctly did its job and stood firm he wouldn't have had to scramble across to try and make the save.

I like Hamer and it's pretty close between him and Kasper for me but he should never be letting Eriksen score from there. He even admitted it himself after. Bad mistake but otherwise, he's done well and I like him.

The article in the Mercury suggests Schwarzer thinks he's now the regular keeper (at least until Schmeicel fit - does anyone have any info?).

In terms of his keeping ability and the fact the defence has been better when Hamer's been goalkeeper, I think he has been hard done by. I know there may be questions about his distribution, but there were similar questions about Schmeicel's for some time - won't Hamer's only improve with time in the first team?

I'd prefer to see Hamer as the regular keeper - possibly even when Schmeicel fit again - he's shown he's a capable Premier league keeper. (For example, he's better than Mignolet who was touted as a replacement for Schmeilcel before he signed a new contract.) In 8 league games he's conceded 6 goals (excluding the 2 penalties v Liverpool).

Is NP making the right choice of keeper? Have we shown we could manage without Schmeicel - indeed be better off selling him if there are offers during the summer?

I'd like to hear other thoughts...

Anyone but Schmeichel, he's disastrous and a key reason our defence was at 6s & 7s with his non-defence of crosses and setpieces... Really puts everyone else under totally unnecessary pressure

I've picked Hamer over Schwarzer because I felt Hamer was unfairly dropped and Schwarzer's spill of the ball at Utd is the kind of errors we'd not far off eradicated, but realistically I've not seen enough of him to discount him

To bring this debate up again-I don't understand why Schwarzer was put straight in, but having been, I don't think he's justified that faith...

As people have said, Hamer didn't do anything wrong before being dropped, and imo Schwarzer has been responsible for Falcao and Walcott's goals, without adding anything obvious (to my untrained eye).

Morgan is getting lots of stick (hard to argue with that at the moment), but Schwarzer seems to be getting off quite lightly.

Hamer in!

To bring this debate up again-I don't understand why Schwarzer was put straight in, but having been, I don't think he's justified that faith...

As people have said, Hamer didn't do anything wrong before being dropped, and imo Schwarzer has been responsible for Falcao and Walcott's goals, without adding anything obvious (to my untrained eye).

Morgan is getting lots of stick (hard to argue with that at the moment), but Schwarzer seems to be getting off quite lightly.

Hamer in!

But whose to say Hamer could've made more mistakes in those games? You never know, he could've made a howler and slaughtered on here/by Pearson.

But whose to say Hamer could've made more mistakes in those games? You never know, he could've made a howler and slaughtered on here/by Pearson.

Yeah, of course, and I'm not big on blaming players. But I think if you're brought in for a guy who's playing well you have to perform well, and I don't think Schwarzer has. I'd like to see Hamer back before he loses match sharpness.

Hamer should have done better with Christian Eriksen's freekick. And was rescued by the flag when he got put on his arse by Benteke. And was bailed out against Newcastle when they scored a legitimate goal past him and he elected to sit down instead of dive (a similar technique he used against Lampard's tap-in). Hardly textbook goalkeeping.

Some people on here are of the "Hamer = good, not Hamer = bad" mentality and that has been clear and obvious for months. No amount of evidence or reason will change your opinion because it's already not based on evidence or reason.

Just watched the highlights of last night's game and the fact that people are blaming Schwarzer is honestly unbelievable and appears more ridiculous now than when I saw it in realtime. First of all Schlupp receives a dodgy pass but has the ball at his feet and then loses it trying to dribble out, then nobody closes down the shot-taker, and the ball is smashed at Schwarzer at head height, and Upson gets beaten to the ball after being on his heels. The least controllable part of that sequence of events is the direction of the parry ffs. The ball might swerve an inch and deflect at a completely different angle, it's far too dangerous to try and catch it, all he can do is play the percentages and try to get it sideways away from goal rather than right in front of him. On another occasion the ball would have fizzed past Walcott or ballooned over his head.

For the record I am not anti-Hamer. I like him and think he's a good goalkeeper. "But MarshallForEngland you said bad things about Hamer herr derrr". Yes I did, but only in the interest of balance and to show that this Hamer love-fest is quite silly when he is no stranger to the sorts of mistakes that people are slating our other keepers for.

Schwazer,,

Kasper,

Hamer.

reason being because he has bags of experience, knows how to organize the box and is commanding on set-pieces and corners something we drastically need right now is Schwazer in goal, plus he is good solid keeper.

In the previous two games,two of the three conceded goals we're from corners, the third he parried

back to Walcott!

Hamer for me,ok his distribution isn't brilliant but that's least critical area for a keeper.

Schwazer,,

Kasper,

Hamer.

reason being because he has bags of experience, knows how to organize the box and is commanding on set-pieces and corners something we drastically need right now is Schwazer in goal, plus he is good solid keeper.

In the previous two games,two of the three conceded goals we're from corners, the third he parried

back to Walcott!

Hamer for me,ok his distribution isn't brilliant but that's least critical area for a keeper.

Hamer should have done better with Christian Eriksen's freekick. And was rescued by the flag when he got put on his arse by Benteke. And was bailed out against Newcastle when they scored a legitimate goal past him and he elected to sit down instead of dive (a similar technique he used against Lampard's tap-in). Hardly textbook goalkeeping.

Some people on here are of the "Hamer = good, not Hamer = bad" mentality and that has been clear and obvious for months. No amount of evidence or reason will change your opinion because it's already not based on evidence or reason.

Just watched the highlights of last night's game and the fact that people are blaming Schwarzer is honestly unbelievable and appears more ridiculous now than when I saw it in realtime. First of all Schlupp receives a dodgy pass but has the ball at his feet and then loses it trying to dribble out, then nobody closes down the shot-taker, and the ball is smashed at Schwarzer at head height, and Upson gets beaten to the ball after being on his heels. The least controllable part of that sequence of events is the direction of the parry ffs. The ball might swerve an inch and deflect at a completely different angle, it's far too dangerous to try and catch it, all he can do is play the percentages and try to get it sideways away from goal rather than right in front of him. On another occasion the ball would have fizzed past Walcott or ballooned over his head.

For the record I am not anti-Hamer. I like him and think he's a good goalkeeper. "But MarshallForEngland you said bad things about Hamer herr derrr". Yes I did, but only in the interest of balance and to show that this Hamer love-fest is quite silly when he is no stranger to the sorts of mistakes that people are slating our other keepers for.

Cheers for considered reply.

I disagree that the parry was purely unlucky-he deflected it both down and back into play which leaves us hostage to fortune. I've not seen another keeper parry like that (except Schwarzer v ManU) and I think there are good reasons for it. But you make some good points about Hamer.

I still think taken as a whole our defence has been strongest with Hamer in goal, but not that he's the best thing since sliced bread.

Hopefully MS will be a strong back up, and in the meantime a coach and mentor who can teach Kasper how to catch and punch...

Cheers for considered reply.

I disagree that the parry was purely unlucky-he deflected it both down and back into play which leaves us hostage to fortune. I've not seen another keeper parry like that (except Schwarzer v ManU) and I think there are good reasons for it. But you make some good points about Hamer.

I still think taken as a whole our defence has been strongest with Hamer in goal, but not that he's the best thing since sliced bread.

Hopefully MS will be a strong back up, and in the meantime a coach and mentor who can teach Kasper how to catch and punch...

It's not necessarily about the keeper's individual attributes or weaknesses, it's about how they perform as part of the team

I've felt we've been better with Hamer in goal, regardless of Spurs' freekick.... than we have with Schmeichel who's caused our defence all sorts of problems in every single game or Schwarzer who's spilled balls to players leading directly to goals & defeats

Archived