Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

If all 3 GK's were fully fit, who should be our No.1?

379 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be our Number 1?

• Kasper Schmiechel
    • Ben Hamer
    • Mark Schwarzer

Must admit, Thought it was harsh to drop Hamer but Schwarzer has certainly caused Nigel a dilema.....

But what about when Kasper returns?

Cant be many clubs who  can say all three keepers are in with a shout of the no.1 jersey....

I don't think Hamer was dropped, just rested to give Schrawzer a game in a different comp.

I'd imagine he'll be back for the Man Utd game as the chap below says, his run in the side has coincided with our best run of form... which also happened when he played one random game away at Stoke

Good debate. As said, there are arguments for all of them. However, as with Was replacing Moore earlier in the season (when Moore had some good reviews in early games), I think the experience will count for a lot in the manager's mind. It's not necessarily that Schwarzer is the best of the three, but I think he'd be the best at influencing and positioning the defence. I think Was had the same effect when he came in - arguably he's not significantly better than Moore in terms of individual attributes (pace, tackling, blocking, heading) but he does more to improve the rest of the defence (although, in his case, he probably scares the full back and midfield into position!).

Hamer for me too. He's been very solid and steady since coming in and also people are forgetting he's made some outstanding saves as well.

Only doubt (at back of my mind) is if Schwarzer is more mentally solid for the visit to Old Trafford on Sat... Hamer it is. Well deserved.

What is a keepers first priority? To avoid conceding. Hamer has the record to back up his claim to be number 1 based on our defensive form with him in the team. With Schwarzer it's obviously hard to compare as Saturday was his only game, but as has been pointed out, his record and solid all round game as a keeper give him the credentials to be our number one. Which leaves Schmeichal, whom, having played the most games, hasn't stood out in a positive light. He evidently hasn't inspired confidence in the backline and people around me were getting kittens every time we conceded a set piece with him in goal as we looked so vulnerable with balls in to the box.

Hamer edges it for me as his admittedly poor kicking display against Stoke isn't nearly reason enough to drop him. Schwarzer hasn't come here to warm the bench, I'm sure he'll be close. Kasper's one clean sheet isn't a glowing reference and he'll struggle to get back in. That being said, he's been an excellent player for us over the last 3 and a half years, he'll certainly bounce back at some point.

For me Schmeichel is our number .... 3

Reason

He is a good shot stopper because he faces more shots and we all notice more great saves

He faces more shots because

- He doesn't control his box as well as Hamer. Hamer adopts better start position, comes for more crosses, and anticipates to prevent shots rather than have to save them.

- Schmeichel only guides his defence after the event. i.e tells them what they should have done.Hamer seems far more vocal in marshaling his defence.The keeper has a

unique view of play and a good communicator has a massive effect on how the defense performs.

- The defence seem to have more confidence in Hamer. I can't back that up but it's probably tied to his communication as I mentioned before. It just feels the case and this if

true will also help their own performance as pressure is relieved.

So for me it's Hamer vs Schwarzer. Although Hamer has been great, you don't get to be a regular prem goalie for as long as Schwarzer if you don't communicate well, marshall your defence, have good starting positions and anticipation, distribution and can make a save so on the assumption he still has the same physical ability and reactions, however unfair on Hamer, I think Schwarzer is the man.

It's a close call and i've not convinced even myself but against Manchester United away......-, I'd go with experience

Kasper has been solid and has been one of our best players at the club for the last three years or so. Hamer is a good keeper, but he has only played around 10 games and has done OK, nothing spectacular but nothing too bad (apart from the error vs Spurs). For me, Kasper is a keeper who will win us points because he makes and has made some outrageous saves in the past and that is why I make him our number 1. 

Probably get shot down on this,but Kaspers got away with loads because of his surname,kicking,crosses and i've said this for months.Hamer has been a big improvement for me(except the wall didn't do him any favours against spurs and his kicking against Stoke was woefull).Was at the game on Saturday and i know it's only 90 mins,but schwarzer can at least kick a ball straight and marshall his back four....so id have him in for saturday.

Some keeper performance stats. (The only thing not open to interpretation)

Minutes between each save:  Kasper 26.3m      Hamer 34.3   (ie Kasper tested way more in his games)

Saves per game average:      Kasper 3.6     Hamer 2.4   

Innacurate longballs per game      Kasper 17.5    Hamer 21.5

Accurate Long balls per game    Kasper 10.6    Hamer 11.3

Accurate short passes per game   Kasper 3.3    Hamer   1.1

Total passes per game    Kasper 31.4      Hamer 33.9

Key Passes Total     Kasper 2    Hamer 0

Leicester are the 5th worst team in the division for long balls with 1564 total. (Interestingly ManU are 2nd worse with 1696).

30% of the 1564 long balls are Kasper and Hamers long hoofs (Kasper 393 and Hamer 262  =  655) 

Of those 655 hoofs, 417 of them failed to gain city possession.

So Kasper and Hamer - distribution needs to be improved a lot.

For this reason, I choose Schwarzer for the rest of season. His career stats show much better distribution. In 12672 minutes of football since 2010 he played 2084 inaccurate long balls. At the same rate Kasper would be over 2500 and Hamer 3000. For me that's to much possession being given away to the opposition needlessly. He's more experienced, can still stop shots and will prob command the defense better.

Some keeper performance stats. (The only thing not open to interpretation)

Minutes between each save:  Kasper 26.3m      Hamer 34.3   (ie Kasper tested way more in his games)

Saves per game average:      Kasper 3.6     Hamer 2.4   

Innacurate longballs per game      Kasper 17.5    Hamer 21.5

Accurate Long balls per game    Kasper 10.6    Hamer 11.3

Accurate short passes per game   Kasper 3.3    Hamer   1.1

Total passes per game    Kasper 31.4      Hamer 33.9

Key Passes Total     Kasper 2    Hamer 0

Leicester are the 5th worst team in the division for long balls with 1564 total. (Interestingly ManU are 2nd worse with 1696).

30% of the 1564 long balls are Kasper and Hamers long hoofs (Kasper 393 and Hamer 262  =  655) 

Of those 655 hoofs, 417 of them failed to gain city possession.

So Kasper and Hamer - distribution needs to be improved a lot.

For this reason, I choose Schwarzer for the rest of season. His career stats show much better distribution. In 12672 minutes of football since 2010 he played 2084 inaccurate long balls. At the same rate Kasper would be over 2500 and Hamer 3000. For me that's to much possession being given away to the opposition needlessly. He's more experienced, can still stop shots and will prob command the defense better.

You're acting as if distribution is the most attribute for a Goalkeeper though. For me, it's much less important then shot stopping or collecting crosses. You're also missing some very important stats when comparing the keepers - goals conceded/clean sheets.

Now we know that at his peak Schwarzer is a much better keeper than the other two. However, we don't really know how much of that quality he still has, as he's ancient even in terms of keepers.

Schwarzer for me...

When you are in 20th position on the Table you need the most experienced Premier League Keeper you have on the pitch......

Give him a couple more games to really bed in with the defenders and he will generate confidence into the team.... which is what is need for the battles ahead.

Schwarzer for me...

When you are in 20th position on the Table you need the most experienced Premier League Keeper you have on the pitch......

Give him a couple more games to really bed in with the defenders and he will generate confidence into the team.... which is what is need for the battles ahead.

Lets Get Shilton out of retirement! Not many more experienced than him!

Gotta be Hamer for me, barely put a hand wrong since coming in, was dubious about him when he first came in given that I knew so little about him but very happy he has been so solid. Whoever it is we have 3 very good goalkeepers which can only be a good thing.

Apart from chucking away a point against spurs

Kasper blows too hot and cold for my liking, and at times appears to lose focus on the game. and that is dangerous.

Hamer for me has been playing well, and his confidence level has improved considerably. 

Schwarzer is an old hand that has seen it all, and done it all, which is an excellent pedigree, He has doubtless past his peak, but is still a superb keeper.

Thus, Hamer or Schwarzer, for me, and little to pick between them. Hamer has done nothing to deserve being dropped. but for the Utd game I would probably go with Schwarzer, who has played there on many occasions., and may have that little extra "know how".Massive game for us.

You're accusing people of having short memories and then picking Kasper? Has a comedian taken over your account?

People picking Shwarzer after him playing one game is ridiculous. Hamer has done well but games such as Villa away show for me, Kasper is still number 1. Bet he'll reclaim his place once fit

Archived