Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

If all 3 GK's were fully fit, who should be our No.1?

379 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be our Number 1?

• Kasper Schmiechel
    • Ben Hamer
    • Mark Schwarzer

Unfortunately, Kasper is a joke from set plays and balls into the box. He just stays on his line every time. You can't get away with that in the prem

How many of these situations have we conceded from with Hamer? He may not be as good a shot stopper but he's not significantly worse than Kasper.

Haven't seen Schwarzer recently so can't judge him

A 42 year old Engand international with an Amish beard and fear of coming off his line on crosses?

sounds like david seaman in the older years. 

I'll say it because no one else has...

Conrad Logan.  :ph34r:

i forgot he was still on the books! wow he really did accept his role didnt he?! sit there and get paid for it. 

I haven't seen him play for a while but ive given Schwarzer my vote based on write ups of the Spurs game, what he has done in the past and how he may influence play.

I doubt very much that Kasper and Ben will acheive anything like the same success. It has got to improve their games training and watching him perform.

Only playing one away game and being high in the votes is testiment, a good home game and he'd walk it. 

Difficult one for NP.

Age is not an issue for a keeper to a degree, many past 40 inc Shilts.

I'd rather a keeper who keeps a clean sheet but can't shoot straight than a keeper than can't keep a clean sheet but will always find the target from a goal kick.

Hamer has never put the team under pressure from a poor clearance. It's a poor argument against him, he's been solid.

This was actually a really hard decision, and in a way I felt guilty on the other 2 keepers (I voted Schmiechel). 

I think Hamer has been brilliant and i'm happy that he has stepped up and impressed. Schwarzer is a goalkeeping legend and his experience is vital. Although, I think Kasper has a lot to offer, has been brilliant for us and is our number 1.

Hard choice.

We concede loads at this level with Kasper in as his defence have no confidence in him and he can't command his six yard box let alone area, Hamer has done ok but looks prone to an error and kicking is very poor. Mark is a top level keeper but age very much against him.

Probably Mark> Ben> Kasper in this division. But Kasper> Ben> Mark in the championship.

Hamer.

He came in and deputised for Kasper, but he should have come in well before Kasper was injured imo.

Schwarzer came in on Saturday and did well, could have made more of an effort with the peno (Not neceserilly saved it, but I felt he could have done better) but made 1 or 2 good saves, on the basis, on one game he cannot replace Hamer, it would be extremily harsh on Hamer if he did.

1) Hamer.

2) Schwarzer.

3) Schmeichel.

That how the rank for me, Kasper is well 3rd choice for me.

I'll go for the best goalkeeper as oppose to the best playmaker. That's Hamer. I'm surprised people would pick Schwarzer after one game. I think him going completely the wrong way again Paulinho could have cost us.

I'll go for the best goalkeeper as oppose to the best playmaker. That's Hamer. I'm surprised people would pick Schwarzer after one game. I think him going completely the wrong way again Paulinho could have cost us.

Harsh when it was a penalty. There is no way a GK can move as quick as a ball from the panalty spot. Alot of keepers have to commit to a side to speed their reaction to a penalty...

Harsh when it was a penalty. There is no way a GK can move as quick as a ball from the panalty spot. Alot of keepers have to commit to a side to speed their reaction to a penalty...

I didn't mean the penalty, I meant in the second half, think it was paulinho might have been a different player, Schwarzer moved across to the centre for no apparent reason and left the near post open.

Hamer's the man in possession, and he has done enough to keep his spot. Kasper is a tricky one-he reminds me of David James in that his shot stopping and athleticism is top drawer, but he has recurring weak spots that cost you goals. On the flip side, he might make saves we wouldn't think were saveable, nor blame another keeper if he let them in, but you notice mistakes and he makes them.

The simple answer is the defence is looking much more confident in front of Hamer, so think he stays. The question of who comes in if anything changes is even trickier-Kasper is definitely the longer term bet, but Schwarzer might be a steady head for our inexperienced (bar Was) back four...

Wait till Hamer scuffs a kick straight to an opposition player & they end up scoring, which then costs us the match.

Oh good, another hypothetical theory, like "wait till Wasilewski gets sent off and it costs us the game". Until that happens we can't really criticise Hamer for it.

Is it something like this you had in mind? (go to 1.13)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOrsXj7uevk .

I'm not going to stick up for Hamer on the distribution front because he does need to work on it but I can't be doing with all this 'Kasper's distribution is so much better' crap. In the video example, a poor choice of pass out putting the CB under pressure and then a second kick abysmally scuffed at Sigurdsson which could easily have put us 1-0 down at the time. Kasper has been guilty of similar offences - albeit less extreme -  before as well, as has Hamer. 

Both Hamer and Kasper have poor distribution imo. But we aren't picking the goalkeeper on his distribution ability alone. Form should be a big consideration given how many of our players and the team as collective are/have been struggling for it. On that basis Hamer should probably just edge #1 spot for Saturday.

Each have plusses.

schmichael - Is probably the best shot stopper we have. And possibly the best we have had for a very long time.

hamer - Is so reliable under a high ball. He knows when to come and collect or punch it clear and he hasn't gotten it wrong once.

Schwazer - Experience. It's vital. And, he clearly knows what he's doing. He's been a top flight keeper for most of his career.

Strengths and weakness' for all...Hamers kicking is awful whereas Schwazers is solid but not spectacular based on Saturday. And kasper can be spectacular from kicks at times but also pretty woeful.

But, how can you drop Ben when he has kept goal during our best spell defensively. If his kicking becomes a real problem then maybe we drop him. We have three good keepers and that is great. It's been years since we have had this much talent in the keeper ranks.

Schmeichel

Schwarzer

Archived