Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
everton carr

Tony Pulis

I'm not going to go in to great detail as I wish to avoid confrontation, all I'll say is Tony Pulis is a better manager then Nigel Pearson, in the Premier League and the Championship.

Pearson is the better Championship manager, Pulis is in the Premier League.

yep he managed to fail to get promotion twice before succeeding.

if you don't like pulis fine.

but don't try some intellectual  contortions to justify  that  pearson is a better manager.

he isn't.

the records speak for themselves.

for those who say he inherited a good squad, guess what ,if nige had done his job over the summer we'd have a good squad too.

table and stats don't lie.

wba are on the up, we're not, no matter how well we play  when we lose it's zero points on the board.

i would rather stay up with a pulis than get relegated with peaarson.

getting relegated with the new tv deal being announced is a  smack in the gob.

yep he managed to fail to get promotion twice before succeeding.

if you don't like pulis fine.

but don't try some intellectual  contortions to justify  that  pearson is a better manager.

he isn't.

the records speak for themselves.

for those who say he inherited a good squad, guess what ,if nige had done his job over the summer we'd have a good squad too.

table and stats don't lie.

wba are on the up, we're not, no matter how well we play  when we lose it's zero points on the board.

i would rather stay up with a pulis than get relegated with peaarson.

getting relegated with the new tv deal being announced is a  smack in the gob.

Did I say Pearson is a better manager overall? No, just that his Championship record is better than Pulis's. Pulis was pretty much ignored 8 years ago before he took Stoke up (with a relatively low points total, would've been 5th last season) and has now made a reputation for himself. Good for him.

Pearson might be the better manager in 10 years, who knows? The great Pardew was relegated in his second season in the Premier League and managed to work his way back in (sort of). Pulis may take West Brom to new heights, to a similar position or down, we're not sure yet. 

There's no doubting Pulis is a very good manager. He's proved himself better prepared for the Premiership by keeping Stoke up when their manager. What he done with Palace last season was nothing short of a miracle. If the season had of been longer who knows how high they would have went. Give the man the credit he deserves. Has anyone bothered to look at some of his achievements on a personal level for Charity There very impressive.

There's many good managers out there including NP just some are better than others.

What? Even when we won the league last season so convincingly? 

Seriously? The guys been brilliant for us, what does he have to do to win people over

I always feel bad saying this as I don't dispute his record as our manager (overall) but I have just always struggled to warm to the bloke. I have tried really hard over his time here (both spells) but he will never be my favourite manager - both footballing and non footballing.

There is just something about his personality which really frustrates me, always has and always will. Know I'm not the only one, as a lot of my friends feel like that too, including a great number of those who support us. Good lot of my Sheffield Wednesday supporting friends think he is a right idiot (or words to that effect) and West Ham supporting friends of mine said having Big Sam during his bad spell was better, for much the same reason. Even my Man Utd supporting friends said having David Moyes in charge by comparison was a blessing.

(I have never gone that far but can understand where they are coming from time to time with his post match interviews).

I'm afraid to tell you he isn't. Do you have any evidence to back up your theory?

Pulis's Championship seasons: 18th, 21st (not full seasons), 11th, 12th, 14th, 8th, 2nd.

Pearson's: 20th (not full season), 5th, 11th, 9th (not full season), 6th, 1st. 

Pearson's had two play-offs and a promotion, Pulis has had a promotion.

Pulis's Championship seasons: 18th, 21st (not full seasons), 11th, 12th, 14th, 8th, 2nd.

Pearson's: 20th (not full season), 5th, 11th, 9th (not full season), 6th, 1st.

Pearson's had two play-offs and a promotion, Pulis has had a promotion.

I wouldn't say those records are too dissimilar. The vital statistic is that they have had one promotion each.

Plus Pulis was working for Icelandic owners that wanted rid of him for not raising Stoke's profile in his first spell, and one season was taking a seriously in danger Plymouth team to mid table with no investment.

I recall some of the vitriol that was made towards even the thought of replacing Nigel Pearson with Tony Pulis.

And thought, yet again this season, where are people coming from?

Pulis is an experienced, Premier League manager who has a knack of setting up teams to be solid at any level. West Brom have done completely the right thing by sacking Irvine to replace him with Pulis.

They did it at the correct time and in the correct manner. And Pulis will keep the Baggies up I think.

If so, it will be mission accomplished. Forget 'consistency', forget all this gubbins about 'playing the Pulis way' and all that other stuff. It will have been mission accomplished. THEN West Brom could re-build, if they felt they needed to.

Pulis has simply come in and steadied the ship. Sound management of Football Club.

I always feel bad saying this as I don't dispute his record as our manager (overall) but I have just always struggled to warm to the bloke. I have tried really hard over his time here (both spells) but he will never be my favourite manager - both footballing and non footballing.

There is just something about his personality which really frustrates me, always has and always will. Know I'm not the only one, as a lot of my friends feel like that too, including a great number of those who support us. Good lot of my Sheffield Wednesday supporting friends think he is a right idiot (or words to that effect) and West Ham supporting friends of mine said having Big Sam during his bad spell was better, for much the same reason. Even my Man Utd supporting friends said having David Moyes in charge by comparison was a blessing.

(I have never gone that far but can understand where they are coming from time to time with his post match interviews).

I struggle to believe any Wednesday fans hate him or 'call him an idiot'. They recently voted him their greatest ever captain. Even though they currently have a manager, as soon as it appeared as though NP had been sacked by us, hundreds of Wednesday fans on twitter wanted Pearson to come in. I fail to see what you're trying to get at with the Moyes and Allardyce comments as I doubt any of those people know anything about Pearson apart from his few greatly exaggerated incidents.

Just because Pulis/ Pardew have done well there's no guarentee they would have had the same impact at our club.  We are playing well and just not taking chances, theres not much a new manager could do about that.  The team are obviously playing for Pearson and I doubt whether either one of those managers could get us playing any better.

Pulis would have us more solid and keeping more clean sheets. Hence, when we didn't score we would have a chance of one point and when we did, a chance of three !!

And please don't ask how he would do it - he did it at palace and now he's doing it at west brom. He would have done it here.

But we made our choice and have to get on with it.

After 25 games last season, Fulham had 20 points and were bottom. West brom 23 and s'land 24.

We are in a worse position than s'land by 7 points!!!!!!!!!

Please can we deal with facts when they are available.

Go back to the 11/12 season and Wigan were bottom at this stage with 19points but survived by 7 ! (Winning 7 and losing 3 of their final 13 games inc wins at arsenal and Liverpool)

. Boy you hang out with some right types. Don't think too much of your friend selections. lol

Pulis's win statistics are poor compared to Nigel's:

Pearson's win % = 42.97

Pulis's win % = 36.92

If you look at his West Brom Statistics and the initial 'New Manager' syndrome his % is 57.14 after 7 games.

QPR might have a few wins with the change.... Let's hope not.....

If we get relegated, I will look back at the failure to bring him in when we had the opportunity,assuming he would have wanted to come here.

He has a good knowledge of what is required in the Premiership. unlike Pearson, but that is water under the bridge.

Time to pray harder chaps, for a miracle.

Up the City.

I struggle to believe any Wednesday fans hate him or 'call him an idiot'. They recently voted him their greatest ever captain. Even though they currently have a manager, as soon as it appeared as though NP had been sacked by us, hundreds of Wednesday fans on twitter wanted Pearson to come in. I fail to see what you're trying to get at with the Moyes and Allardyce comments as I doubt any of those people know anything about Pearson apart from his few greatly exaggerated incidents.

. Boy you hang out with some right types. Don't think too much of your friend selections. lol

lol Haha, to be fair LCFCSoulBoy, they are all really genuine, middle of the road types of people (easy to get along with and met a good lot of them on my history course at Uni). There is just a lot of dislike for him amongst them all. Dogadug - Sincerely, my friends who support Wednesday are not big fans of his. That isn't to say they speak for the majority (as you said he was voted as their greatest captain). Their memories are of Waddle and Carbone, not Pearson, with one of them watching him play during his peak. I was surprised too when they said they weren't big fans of his but there you are.

I said to everyone I know I wanted Tony Pulis to take control before January transfer window, as much as I like Pearson, it would of been a gamble yes but I said it would of payed off at the time, and now look at where we are... going down.

We want the Stoke/Swansea model of staying in the Premiership right? what better man to get in than the guy who consolidated Stoke as a solid Premier League team? also look at the job he did at Crystal Palace he took them from relegation certainties to finish 11th.

Now look at what he's done at West Brom so far, getting results and attracted players in January, notably Darren Fletcher (New Captain) who said Pulis was a big reason for him going there.

We missed the trick here guy's I'm afraid, look forward to life in the Championship.

Why are people getting worked up? I thought it was widely accepted now Pulis was being tapped up by West Brom in September.

I doubt he ever looked at us and considered us a serious option.

Why are people getting worked up? I thought it was widely accepted now Pulis was being tapped up by West Brom in September.

I doubt he ever looked at us and considered us a serious option.

It's the same what if's used in both sides of the argument really, so it's bit of a non debate.

Archived