Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

OT rule is a joke.

You've got a huge game in one of the most high-profile, and certainly the most micro-managed, sport in the world being decided by the toss of a coin.

(Ok I’m being facetious but it’s an unnecessarily big advantage for the team given possession).

Edited by ttfn

1 hour ago, ttfn said:

OT rule is a joke.

You've got a huge game in one of the most high-profile, and certainly the most micro-managed, sport in the world being decided by the toss of a coin.

(Ok I’m being facetious but it’s an unnecessarily big advantage for the team given possession).

I don't understand why they don't just both have a drive each in basically alternating sudden death conditions. 

I know it'd take a bit longer but surely not by all that much. 

Can't help but think the overtime rules are broken. Surely both teams should get one possession of the ball and they have to better the other teams drive. If they both match each others drive, give each team 1st and goal from the 10 with a best of 3 or 5, like a penalty shootout. 

Apparently playoff games decided by overtime has been won by the coin toss 7-1. That's shit. 

In college football they play a full extra quarter with each team getting at least one possession. And then keep going if it's still tied at the end. Sounds much better to me. 

• Like 1

The curse of brady or brilliance....i hate the guy because he is so effing great and seems to win when he wants.  Just like in seasons past you know that no matter how much time is left  brady will get it done.

Hate him or love him he is the Greatest QB ever.

I am tired of seeing him in what 9 or so superbowls now. Its like united cant waiit for them to fall off when he retires lol

Patriots are winning the superbowl.

Went to bed at half time in the Pats game thinking it was done and dusted but looks like I missed a great final quarter. Typical bloody Brady though.

Can't see rams beating these but I'll definitely be cheering them on.

OT is absolutely fecked, needs changing asap. Just another reason Saints should be kicking themselves after yesterday!

I don't like Brady or the Pats but you can't deny he's just sensationally good tbf. Man is a robot, I'm not sure I've ever seen a sportsman in any team sport be as completely immune to pressure as Brady. 

I don't know enough about the sport to say if the Pats were completely that good or if the Chiefs choked defensively, mind, but they didn't seen to offer much opposition. Pats just made consistent yards off every drive, never really looked like they wouldn't score. 

Took Monday off to watch the games back to back. Incredible stuff.

Agree with loads that's been said here, specifically about overtime. I don't actually have a team, I quite like actually being a neutral, though the Patriots bore me to tears so I was hoping they wouldn't win.

Seriously though, as has been mentioned above, their record is great, and I fully appreciate long-term brilliance, but the Patriots in the SB again does nothing for the AFC, nothing for the neutral and they are so, so dull to watch. I read a comment which summed it up well, how they're surgical in their precision, sucking the life and the fun out of the game. Yes, it's great, but there really are only so many times you want to watch it before you're like "meh, seen it before."

Do we even have an inkling how long BB/TB will be with the Pats for? I didn't know if either were going to retire when they win in a couple of weeks, finishing on a high. Equally I can see them both being in their positions in 10 years time.

2 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Agree with loads that's been said here, specifically about overtime. I don't actually have a team, I quite like actually being a neutral, though the Patriots bore me to tears so I was hoping they wouldn't win.

Seriously though, as has been mentioned above, their record is great, and I fully appreciate long-term brilliance, but the Patriots in the SB again does nothing for the AFC, nothing for the neutral and they are so, so dull to watch. I read a comment which summed it up well, how they're surgical in their precision, sucking the life and the fun out of the game. Yes, it's great, but there really are only so many times you want to watch it before you're like "meh, seen it before."

Really don’t understand this view - and a lot of people have it. Last years superbowl was a belter, the year before was probably the best ever, 2015 was the greatest ending ever and 2012 was exciting too. Every Super Bowl they have ever played in has produced drama and excitement and then they reach another one and it’s ‘oh Boring Pats again’. It really confuses me. 

Edited by lildave3

3 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Do we even have an inkling how long BB/TB will be with the Pats for? I didn't know if either were going to retire when they win in a couple of weeks, finishing on a high. Equally I can see them both being in their positions in 10 years time.

I find the way Belichick approaches each game very interesting. He's arguably the greatest strategist the game has ever known, and he got it spot on yet again on Sunday. He knows that if the game is a shootout, they lose. So he runs the ball against the Chiefs 31st ranked defense, shortens the game, dominates time of possession, and most importantly - keeps Mahomes, who ended the game with only 31 pass attempts, on the sidelines. It worked perfectly in the first half, giving them enough of a buffer to stay in the game into the 4th quarter.

Other coaches like Lombardi, Shula, Landry, Walsh, Gibbs and Jimmy Johnson have built dynasties, but did it in the pre-salary cap era. Belichick has no such advantage. The rest of the AFC just haven't been good enough to knock him off his perch. He (and Brady for that matter) is not a particularly likeable character, but he is a very interesting character, and undoubtedly a genius.

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I find the way Belichick approaches each game very interesting. He's arguably the greatest strategist the game has ever known, and he got it spot on yet again on Sunday. He knows that if the game is a shootout, they lose. So he runs the ball against the Chiefs 31st ranked defense, shortens the game, dominates time of possession, and most importantly - keeps Mahomes, who ended the game with only 31 pass attempts, on the sidelines. It worked perfectly in the first half, giving them enough of a buffer to stay in the game into the 4th quarter.

Other coaches like Lombardi, Shula, Landry, Walsh, Gibbs and Jimmy Johnson have built dynasties, but did it in the pre-salary cap era. Belichick has no such advantage. The rest of the AFC just haven't been good enough to knock him off his perch. He (and Brady for that matter) is not a particularly likeable character, but he is a very interesting character, and undoubtedly a genius.

This I do not doubt. I watched The Two Bills twice last year and I am genuinely mesmerised by his genius. The fact that success seems to just follow him like a lost puppy, pitching up wherever he lands is incredible. He is incredible.

• Like 1

I think I’ve fallen back in love with the game again :wub:

During the 80’s when it was first on British TV I was a massive fan, even used to stay up late when at secondary school listening to commentary on the American Forces radio station :thumbup:

Then lost interest for 20 years and didn’t even watch the highlights (and the Raiders have been total shit)

Then I stumbled on ‘All or Nothing’ on Amazon which followed the Cardinals ‘15 season then the Rams ‘16 season back in LA and just started watching the Cowboys ‘17 season series. 

What brilliant documentaries and what a great game it is.

I think I’m hooked again...

• Like 4

Always find time for Superb owls somehow. I don't actually like them or think about it much, they just pop up when I have time at night and I get this weird buzz. I don't even like the sport, there's too many adverts and it's too stop start, the entire game is too reliant on the one bloke who can lob the ball, you've got 30st tanks of lard with gerbil poop as braincells given the most simple of tasks to stop a certain opponents number and then to sit on the bench when the team is attacking. Whole timt they've got about 100 players stood on the side chatting and drinking Brawndo

I enjoy the spectacle though, and this weird buzz I just cant put my finger on. Don't really care who wins tbh, its East Coast vs West Coast - basically like Real Madrid vs Derby County(of LA) Champs League final

edit: they moved MotD to BBC2 for it!!

Edited by Jaspa