Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

It wasn't a stupid idea at all. Overtime is a 50/50 proposition. In 2018 teams have been successful on approximately 60% of 2 point conversions. The maths was in favour of going for it and I admire them for having the courage of their conviction.

https://www.yummymath.com/2018/extra-point-or-2-point-conversion-updated/

Teams have been successful at two-point conversions in the past about 50% of the time, but early in the 2018 season the success rate has shot up over 60%! 

throwing it was a stupid idea though. especially throwing it on their second attempt after messing up the first but getting away with it. 

should probs have just gone to OT anyway, why risk it when they had battered them for the last 20 mins or so of the game. can hardly look at stats and say it’s “50/50”, surely it’d be better to look at the game and say one team has ended really well, has momentum and is probably going to win. they’d have been decent favs in OT. 

Great game to be at. Better than last week in terms of entertainment in the game itself. Not in terms of atmosphere in the stadium but still good nonetheless.

Surprised Titans went for the point though. Thought they'd be better off securing the extra point and having a chance in overtime to get the win. A gamble was made which didn't pay off but made for an exciting ending. 

11 hours ago, StanSP said:

Great game to be at. Better than last week in terms of entertainment in the game itself. Not in terms of atmosphere in the stadium but still good nonetheless.

Surprised Titans went for the point though. Thought they'd be better off securing the extra point and having a chance in overtime to get the win. A gamble was made which didn't pay off but made for an exciting ending. 

The atmosphere and commentary team made it seem such a dreary and dull game, despite the close result. Bruce Ariens talking is not exciting, Greg Gumble seemed like he was suffering with jet lag to make him docile and add that to the atmosphere did not give the match the justice it deserved.

On 15/10/2018 at 14:21, bovril said:

Aren't many cringier things than British American football fans in their jerseys singing English-style chants about their favourite team.

You're not fit, you're not fit, you're not fit to wear the pads!

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping the Raiders have a break clause in that Gruden contract. You know, he might get it right, it might be a slow burner to build to success, but you always wonder about the ability of someone who has been out of the coaching game for ten years. Big difference from being an ace analyst on MNF! Pro sports these days moves on so quickly.

(I'm sure someone in the NFL or College coaching scene has been out for multiple years (Ditka was away for five in the 1990s,) and come back victorious to bust my sweeping statement!)

5 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Hoping the Raiders have a break clause in that Gruden contract. You know, he might get it right, it might be a slow burner to build to success, but you always wonder about the ability of someone who has been out of the coaching game for ten years. Big difference from being an ace analyst on MNF! Pro sports these days moves on so quickly.

(I'm sure someone in the NFL or College coaching scene has been out for multiple years (Ditka was away for five in the 1990s,) and come back victorious to bust my sweeping statement!)

I would typically agree with you, being out of the league is a massive detriment. The NFL, especially in the last 5 years is a completely different game than he is used to. That said, the coordinators do all of the nitty gritty work. The head coach, is really more of a football CEO. He organizes and motivates the team. 

Oakland traded away their best defensive player (Khalil Mack), and their best offensive weapon (Amari Cooper). I'm not sure if Gruden is even sold on the quarterback he inherited. They we're always going to be awful this year, but that doesn't mean they will be awful throughout his tenure. Oakland has a lot of draft picks that, if used wisely, could build a contender. Don't give up on him yet. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OH MY WORD

Woke up early to watch the game before work. Absolute belter from start to finish. Best game I've ever watched. Usually grab the Sky 1hr highlights shows for the games they show, but not sure how the editor will condense that down. Great to see such fantastic defense as well as offense, even if the 54-51 might not suggest it!

What a treat

Personally, I prefer an old school, brutal, tense 13-10 defensive struggle over this glorified game of basketball. I hate the way it's all pass, pass, pass and the running game is now an afterthought. 54-51 is for stupid people with no attention span. If I wanted to watch that I'd watch Texas Tech vs Baylor in the NCAA. Give me 3 yards and a cloud of dust any day. Rant over.

2 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Personally, I prefer an old school, brutal, tense 13-10 defensive struggle over this glorified game of basketball. I hate the way it's all pass, pass, pass and the running game is now an afterthought. 54-51 is for stupid people with no attention span. If I wanted to watch that I'd watch Texas Tech vs Baylor in the NCAA. Give me 3 yards and a cloud of dust any day. Rant over.

Think people can enjoy both types of game, can't they? Just because we "stupids" enjoyed a 54-51 doesn't mean we don't think a proper defense-fest isn't any good? Who wound you into a coil of grumpyness today?

Edited by Footballwipe
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Think people can enjoy both types of game, can't they? Just because we "stupids" enjoyed a 54-51 doesn't mean we don't think a proper defense-fest isn't any good? Who wound you into a coil of grumpyness today?

Kareem Hunt and Todd Gurley, 2 of the best running backs in the league, had just 26 carries between them while Goff and Mahommes dropped back to pass over 100 times like it was Arena Football. Where's the balance? It's BAD, sloppy football that needs to get in the bin.

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Kareem Hunt and Todd Gurley, 2 of the best running backs in the league, had just 26 carries between them while Goff and Mahommes dropped back to pass over 100 times like it was Arena Football. Where's the balance? It's BAD, sloppy football that needs to get in the bin.

It's.... it's one game? Like, it's not indicative of the entire league? Why are you getting so angry at ONE GAME? This is bizarre haha

If every game was 54-51 and the league was headed a way you didn't like, I'd get it.... but... it's one game? I get that you're a purist (for purist also read snob) but seriously, just chill out a bit lol

4 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

It's.... it's one game? Like, it's not indicative of the entire league? Why are you getting so angry at ONE GAME? This is bizarre haha

If every game was 54-51 and the league was headed a way you didn't like, I'd get it.... but... it's one game? I get that you're a purist (for purist also read snob) but seriously, just chill out a bit lol

I apologise for calling people stupid for liking last nights game. Whatever floats your boat. It's not my place to tell anyone what they should like. It's just not for me though.

You are wrong in saying it's just one game though. The game is trending in this direction. Offenses have been putting up bigger and bigger numbers in recent years. The NFL wants it to be like this, as shown by the rule changes over the years. You can't touch Quarterbacks or receivers anymore, even slightly, without drawing a flag. There are numerous pick plays the offenses use to get receivers open that should be penalised but are never called. Defenses are being neutered. This is understandable given the NFL wants to avoid concussions and the inevitable lawsuits that come with it. However, it's a completely different style of game to the one I started watching in the 80's, and I'm not sure it's for the better. But hey, that's just my snobby opinion.

It's definitely becoming a more attacking league. But this game was unique because of the wide receiver Corp both of them possess. It was always going to be a shootout and that lends itself to passing more. 

Both teams run the ball loads against other teams. The Rams are 2nd in the league for rushing. There are still plenty of outstanding rushing players this season too. 

Defending is more about your front four nowadays though, rather than the secondary. It's becoming almost impossible to defend wide receivers because of the physical rules imposed. It's all about the pass rush now and creating turnovers that way by pressuring the pocket. That's why the Rams won last night, because of the two Def TDs created by the likes of Donald and Ebukam. 

Edited by The Bear