Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

16 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Ot rules suck though

Spot on....Especially this game with both quarterbacks on fire and both defenses looking dead on their feet . Win the toss and you win the game....Bills lost the toss so lost the game

imagine if the same principle applied to penalty shoot outs in soccer. 😱

4 hours ago, irishfoxkev said:

Spot on....Especially this game with both quarterbacks on fire and both defenses looking dead on their feet . Win the toss and you win the game....Bills lost the toss so lost the game

imagine if the same principle applied to penalty shoot outs in soccer. 😱

Definitely.  I have heard people saying Buffalo lost it with those 17  seconds and that's an easy thing to nitpick at. The thing is, if those 17 seconds happen in any other quarter, nobody bats an eyelid.  For example, punt return for TD.

The NFL should have changed this in the past when it happend to the chiefs and even before that.

I get with football you cant have OT forever but they need to get more creative with it. Each team gets 1 play each. If still tied perhaps you have a FG competition from 55 yards out. If still tied perhaps go less players and start the drive at the 20 yars from the end zone.  Basically, sit with the smart people in football and come up with fair ways to decide OT. Get a consensus from players, coaches, owners and do something. I recognize those mentioned above might not all fit in the "smart people" category but that's another thing lol

Absolutely loved this round, so made up for the Wildcard round being a bit of a dud. There really is nothing quite like an NFL or College football game being in the dying embers and both teams fighting for the win. It's the reason why I find it so much more enjoyable than football at the minute.

The old QB guard is dead, long live the new QB guard (and, uh, Stafford). Anyone else think Garoppolo is a mystery? He's never seemed impressive, never felt he has that A-list quality, but as the starter for the 49ers they just do not stop winning.

I'd love a Rams-Chiefs Superbowl, but the Bengals being there would be so refreshing, especially as Chase is insane and some idiots (:blush:) thought Burrow was just a one-season splash at LSU.

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

The old QB guard is dead, long live the new QB guard (and, uh, Stafford). Anyone else think Garoppolo is a mystery? He's never seemed impressive, never felt he has that A-list quality, but as the starter for the 49ers they just do not stop winning.

Jimmy is an above average QB when he is healthy, the problem is that it happens very rarely. He's playing with finger and shoulder problems at the minute which I can't imagine helped in the freezing temperature.

Not sure the old QB guard is quite dead yet, Rodgers and Brady will probably finish one and two in the MVP voting but I am glad the young QB's are finally stepping up after the 08-16 years when it doesn't feel like anyone really came into the league to challenge them. 

The thing is with the young QB's is that they are all pretty much in the AFC. Take away Rodgers and Brady and the NFC is a quarterback wasteland right now. Dak is probably number one but he has question marks with durability and after that Stafford and Cousins are about the best of what is left which is crazy. I have no idea why Rodgers or Wilson would want to get traded to AFC teams and have to compete with Burrow, Mahomes, Allen and Herbert.

3 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Anyone else think Garoppolo is a mystery? He's never seemed impressive, never felt he has that A-list quality, but as the starter for the 49ers they just do not stop winning.

2 hours ago, mancunianfox said:

Jimmy is an above average QB when he is healthy, the problem is that it happens very rarely. He's playing with finger and shoulder problems at the minute which I can't imagine helped in the freezing temperature

Couldn't agree more with both these statements: Jimmy is an above average QB, but he is still a mystery.

His decision making isn't always great as he seems to hold onto the ball too much in the pocket and makes more than his fair share of boneheaded plays for turnovers - and he does get a lot of help from the running game & play actions coming from that (and a lot of help from an elite Defence!). But then at times he is elite and can put games on his back and win them, and his best attributes by all accounts are the intangibles of his leadership qualities and how he pulls everyone together.

Take the last 3 weeks: He looked poor in the 1st half at the Rams in week 18, but led a brilliant last minute drive for the tying TD to keep the season alive. He was excellent in the 1st half against Dallas, but faded as the game wore on and a silly interception handed Dallas a lifeline. Then he was pretty miserable against Green Bay, (to be fair, so was Rogers), but then made the final drive for the winning field goal look easy. He isn't fully fit (missed week 17 with the finger injury & then shoulder problems came in the Dallas game, but they don't fully explain the running hot and cold within the same game. But he does just seem to win: 3 consecutive wins on the road at 3 NFC division winners.

Best way to illustrate this is how Shanahan (& the GM, John Lynch) view him. They don't think he has that A-list quality to be the complete answer, so traded up to draft his replacement, Trey Lance. But for 2021, Garoppolo is the better QB and gives them a better chance of winning, so they have continued to ride him. The plan was to trade him at the end of this year, but they will have a big decision to make if he wins another 2 games... so if they can't wok him out, I'm not sure what chance the rest of us have!

20 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Definitely.  I have heard people saying Buffalo lost it with those 17  seconds and that's an easy thing to nitpick at. The thing is, if those 17 seconds happen in any other quarter, nobody bats an eyelid.  For example, punt return for TD.

The NFL should have changed this in the past when it happend to the chiefs and even before that.

I get with football you cant have OT forever but they need to get more creative with it. Each team gets 1 play each. If still tied perhaps you have a FG competition from 55 yards out. If still tied perhaps go less players and start the drive at the 20 yars from the end zone.  Basically, sit with the smart people in football and come up with fair ways to decide OT. Get a consensus from players, coaches, owners and do something. I recognize those mentioned above might not all fit in the "smart people" category but that's another thing lol

I really found the college football overtime rules interesting this year, worked well too.

Sean Payton leaves the Saints after 16 years. An incredible stint and turned them into a continual contender - 7 division titles and a Superbowl (and that pass interference no-call in another NFC Championship game). Can't see him not getting another job sooner or later.

I watched quite a few Leicester Panthers games when I was younger, but missed out watching Sean Payton by a couple of years - anyone on here watch him back in the 80s or have any stories of his time in Leicester?  

18 hours ago, lildave3 said:

I really found the college football overtime rules interesting this year, worked well too.

Interesting, this. I enjoyed them too but the College Football podcasts I listened to detested the rules, they genuinely hated them and wanted them changed, especially from the 2pt conversion shoot-out element (which I actually enjoyed the most)

5 minutes ago, bovril said:

Problem with American football is that a game can be over before the half and we have to sit through another 2 hours of it

Yeah this one's gone. I know we've seen some come backs and drama lately but but these two just aren't evenly matched at all. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Feared this game was going to be a blow out and heading that way. Almost ironic coming here from the Prem thread and the discussion over whether Greenwood will play again while watching Tyreek Hill heading for a third straight Super Bowl.

I mean, every major news site in the western world was writing poetic tributes to mark the end of Ben Rapelsperger's "glorious" career a week or so ago. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Feared this game was going to be a blow out and heading that way. Almost ironic coming here from the Prem thread and the discussion over whether Greenwood will play again while watching Tyreek Hill heading for a third straight Super Bowl.

The Bengals have Joe Mixon so they're hardly a team full of Saints either.

42 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

The Bengals have Joe Mixon so they're hardly a team full of Saints either.

Oh yeah. Hill’s comes to mind because of the video aspect similar to Greenwood’s. The NFL has a problem with it full stop whether it’s a CTE thing or not.

Amazing comeback though. Not surprised Bengals scoring points but amazed their defence has stepped up.