Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bristol_foxes

Arsenal away - first five minutes

Sunday afternoon in the pub with Arsenal vs Leicester suits me.

I'll be sat on my plastic bar stool, wearing my plastic glasses having not got my plastic out twice for train tickets.

Happy Valentines Day.

That's exactly why it will work.

I think you missing the point who I think it would be embarrassing for, because it wouldn't be sky only embarrassing for lcfc, if you want to hurt them make banners so they can be seen all game not where supports will be missing for 5 mins, but I don't know I do think it's wrong what they did and that's why I hope it works

Surely you can empathise with people mate, how much money did you lose on trains and hotels etc? 

Im sure he does but will doing a 5 minute protest/ making banners REALLY change anything. It would be forgotten about a few days later. Sky couldn't give 2 shits if fans boycott the first 5 minutes. They know 99% of those fans will still be paying for their sky subscriptions regardless.

It would be amazing for something to come from a protest but in the long run Sky will always win. It saddens me to say that.

I think its a brilliant idea. If the away end could be completely empty for a full 5 minutes, that would be quite powerful. There would be no way that the camera would not pick up the away end whilst the game is playing.

Commentators would completely ignore the fact that the away end is empty, as would SKY as a whole. Then after 5 minutes the away end fills up, hopefully will anti SKY banners (difficult) but some chanting would be great, chants can be heard on TV regularly, especially if Arsenal got involved in the chanting. 

Power of social media, it could be picked up and spread around and who knows, other clubs could do the same for live/rearranged games. It's definitely a good starting point and I would urge all fans to get involved in the idea.

Im sure he does but will doing a 5 minute protest/ making banners REALLY change anything. It would be forgotten about a few days later. Sky couldn't give 2 shits if fans boycott the first 5 minutes. They know 99% of those fans will still be paying for their sky subscriptions regardless.

It would be amazing for something to come from a protest but in the long run Sky will always win. It saddens me to say that.

Yeah you're right, it probably won't change much in the short term but the more people do, slowly the momentum builds. When it gets to the point where every club protests when their games get moved, then things might change. 

The attitude of "Oh we can't do anything cos Sky have all the power", is the attitude that got us here in the first place. 

It really won't buddy.

Oh well if Swan Lesta who's staying at home thinks it won't work then Union FS and the Arsenal Supporters' Trust better call the Guardian, the Telegraph, the Mail, Radio Leicester, the Mercury etc and tell them it's all off.

Nothing has even happened yet and it's already made national press. I would therefore deem the proposed action a success whatever happens from this point.

And Bevo, you're right I must be missing the point because I can't see how in any way this will be embarrassing.

Protest is a 'success' and people remain in concourse for 5 minutes - looks great if shown on TV but in any case there would be a huge social and conventional media reaction.

Protest is a 'failure' and most people take their seats - those protesting have still made their point, brought national media attention to the issue and forced the PL to make a statement about the change.

Yeah you're right, it probably won't change much in the short term but the more people do, slowly the momentum builds. When it gets to the point where every club protests when their games get moved, then things might change. 

The attitude of "Oh we can't do anything cos Sky have all the power", is the attitude that got us here in the first place. 

This is the hardest part. Perhaps now with Social Media it might be achievable. Here's hoping. 

This is the hardest part. Perhaps now with Social Media it might be achievable. Here's hoping. 

Yes mate, even though it is full of idiots Twitter is great for this kind of thing.

I get that not everyone will be on board with this but if you're not, just leave those who are to it. End of the day people are only trying to change things for the good of everyone who goes to support City. 

Yes mate, even though it is full of idiots Twitter is great for this kind of thing.

I get that not everyone will be on board with this but if you're not, just leave those who are to it. End of the day people are only trying to change things for the good of everyone who goes to support City. 

Don't get me wrong I admire people that are trying to get their voices heard. This sort of problem doesn't affect me as I always drive to away games so I don't feel the same anger as you guys but I certainly hope that you and anyone else involved is successful in at least getting the Premier League to acknowledge it.

I just hope it doesn't fall on death ears. Like I said, with social media being so big now it certainly gives the fans more power and ability to make a difference.

Good Luck :thumbup:

Sheffield United fans are planning on getting a mock invoice together for all expenses that supporters have lost out on due to the fixture change, send it to SKY and ask them to make a the payment to a charity.

Wouldn't have a clue who/where/how to start a process like this, is it something we could look at doing as well?

Sheffield United fans are planning on getting a mock invoice together for all expenses that supporters have lost out on due to the fixture change, send it to SKY and ask them to make a the payment to a charity.

Wouldn't have a clue who/where/how to start a process like this, is it something we could look at doing as well?

I assume you would take the ticket price for the game and multiply it by the amount of tickets sold (3000 right?) Then get the average train ticket price to London return from Leicester and multiply that by around 2000 and do the same for whatever it costs to move the date of the tickets. Then multiply the price of doc travel by around 1000 (I don't know how many use it. It's an estimate). Then add the figures up and send it off.

Am all for a sensible protest cos that is why we are supposed to live in a democracy etc. (Albeit the govt are doing their best to try and stop strikes). But a sensible approach is needed. Why? Safety of fans has to come into play here. I can't see Arsenal stewards, Safety Officers or even the police allowing 3.000 plus fans to loiter around in the concourse for five minutes and then a mass scramble to get into your seat. The concourses at Arsenal granted are big but they ain't that big?

Maybe the publicity this has already generated is good and banners and flags with anti sky slogans may also be good use the tv to show the disgruntlement etc. However, one of our biggest away games and the only ones that suffer will be the team when no one cheers them on when they come out of the tunnel is that fair on the team?

Like it or loathe it without Sky tv and the millions of income they get from broadcasting football around the world there would be no premier league or even arguably teams that play in it. We as a club gain millions for being part of it. Sky and the premier league have stated we had been in discussions with both clubs re the fixture change the question to ask here is, did the clubs know about it may be rescheduled whilst they were selling the tickets? If so they are also accountable. Unfortunately, we will never know the truth.

Boycottings a bit daft isn't it?

Trains to London and back aren't cheap, underground travel isn't cheap, nothing's cheap in London, and the match tickets certainly aren't.

Missing the first five minutes of the game which cost a possible over £100 quid trip seems a bit daft. Sky aren't ever going to change. It's a sorry state nowadays. Football is ruled by money, and it's these tv deals which benefit the club in the long run financially.

Boycotting any part of the game is crazy imo. Like giggity says Sky will not change and actually this is a problem caused by being near the top of the league. The so called big 4 have to deal with this scenario season in season out. If we want to be part of the elite I'm afraid this is just something we have to live with.

Boycotting any part of the game is crazy imo. Like giggity says Sky will not change and actually this is a problem caused by being near the top of the league. The so called big 4 have to deal with this scenario season in season out. If we want to be part of the elite I'm afraid this is just something we have to live with.

Boycotting is crazy and apathy isn't?

I'll not have fellow Leicester fans roll over and let Sky have their way. It's completely unacceptable and something needs to change because this is ****ing ridiculous.

People are losing out on actual money because of this. It's not like a postponed game due to a waterlogged pitch or something. Someone has made the decision to move this game for their betterment at the expense of people who had no opportunity to defend their side of the story. It's totally wrong and the last thing we should be is apathetic.

Oh well if Swan Lesta who's staying at home thinks it won't work then Union FS and the Arsenal Supporters' Trust better call the Guardian, the Telegraph, the Mail, Radio Leicester, the Mercury etc and tell them it's all off.

Nothing has even happened yet and it's already made national press. I would therefore deem the proposed action a success whatever happens from this point.

And Bevo, you're right I must be missing the point because I can't see how in any way this will be embarrassing.

Protest is a 'success' and people remain in concourse for 5 minutes - looks great if shown on TV but in any case there would be a huge social and conventional media reaction.

Protest is a 'failure' and most people take their seats - those protesting have still made their point, brought national media attention to the issue and forced the PL to make a statement about the change.

Sky rarely move matches with as shorter notice as this. Yes it's poor for the fans and I understand the anger. Yes the protest will make the press. I doubt the sky cameras will film it or give it attention. You may get something out of it you may not but sky will always move matches for the best viewing figures. Until all matches are shown live via a TV season ticket this won't change, though you might get an agreement for them not to move matches without say 5 weeks notice in the future, which means that after that threshold has past fans could purchase advance hotel and travel deals but it's not ideal. Perhaps the protest should not be against SKY anyway... surely its the people who sold them the soul of football, who would be the FA? Whilst I applaud the spirit, I'm not sure remaining in the concourses will achieve much apart from missing the match you've paid to travel and see - I just think there may be other ways of approaching the issue that doesn't further impact on the match day experience of fans which may have a greater impact. For starters, I'd have somebody co-ordinate the collection and calculation of the receipts for hotel deposits and advance travel already paid and ask the FA and SKY to compensate and print that in every newspaper to put pressure on them to cough up or change their behaviour towards the football supporters whom they are supposed to represent. 

On an ode to my comments regarding being plastic it was tongue in cheek because I'm a little annoyed its been moved to the Sunday as its Valentines Day and I won't be popular clearing off to the pub in a 'romantic' fashion. I no longer enjoy watching football in the stadiums anymore - sad but true. I like to go to a few home and away matches each year but now see a Season Ticket as an inconvenience... I live and breathe the club as much as most on here but the best thing about match days is the pub beforehand with mates - the stadium experience I'm tired of. People around me annoy me, I don't like the music, the food, the beer and I can't even smoke an electronic fag without a steward trying to climb up my bottom. I know I sound like a miserable git but I really enjoy watching footy with mates at the pub and at home - I'd happily pay the price of my ticket to watch matches so the club gets revenue if I could. 

The sad truth however is without SKY TV money the Premiership wouldn't be what it is today - And there's pro's and con's to that, I guess.

Archived