Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Danno

Cambiasso

Brilliant.

When you see videos like this and the interviews from his teammates it says volumes about him. Clearly got some character, but at the same time realises he's part of the team and uses his experience superbly when around our younger CMs. Model pro and a legend, how we got him I'll never know but I'll never forget his equaliser against Man U and the look on his face afterwards.

Esteban <3

Is that in San Carlos in town?

3 of his mates were infront of me at Palace, all speaking Spanish or something and looking him up on their mobiles before kick off, must've been his party because they were all players family, girlfriends for the two rows infront.

No city colours on any of them, women all dolled up and none of them sang anything all game.

Nice women though!

We're only six games in and Cambiasso has only played in three of them, but we've already seen more than a glimpse of exactly the sort of thing I expected him to offer us –  leadership, commitment, experience, creativity, stability and the occasional goal. Still early doors, of course, but I'm thrilled that we got him and I'm convinced that we will see a lot from him this season - a great signing. 

Personally I never had any doubts about him, hence my fierce defence of him when - among others that weird, fake Inter fan - came on here and suggested that all Cambiasso was doing was coming over for a paycheck and that he is "past it" and would not have the ability to make any significant impact in the quick-paced Premier League. 

Like I said, early doors, but we've already seen what he can do. More please, Cuchu!

When, quite a while from now, Esteban Cambiasso calls time on his richly decorated and varied career, he can anticipate that many of the tributes to him will focus on the goals. Scoring them in great quantities has never been the main strength of his game, but in a decade and half as a senior professional, he has struck some very significant ones.

Prized in the collective memory, and sometimes regarded as the best example of perfect teamwork in a World Cup this century, is Cambiasso’s goal for Argentina against Serbia in Gelsenkirchen in 2006. His team had strung together 24 passes before he finished the move. It put Argentina 2-0 up; they finished with six in that match.

At Inter Milan, where Cambiasso played for 10 seasons before joining Leicester City in late August, there was a memorable match-winner in a late December derby against AC Milan, there was a goal which turned a Coppa Italia final, in 2006, and one in the Uefa Champions League quarter-final against Chelsea in 2010, accelerating Inter’s march towards the 2010 European Cup.

And then there was his strike in his first start in the English Premier League: Cambiasso, near the edge of the Manchester United penalty area, firing through a thicket of bodies to score the equaliser, for 3-3. That fixture will be recalled for many, many years: From 3-1 behind, Cambiasso’s new team went on to win 5-3.

As an introduction to English football, that fixture matched some the descriptions Cambiasso had heard about the Premier League: It’s unpredictability, the way in which underdogs bravely square up to high-status clubs more willingly than perhaps their equivalents do in Spain and Italy.

Leicester supporters meanwhile saw Cambiasso do against United what their manager Nigel Pearson had hoped for when he recruited him, at the age of 34, on a free transfer: He provided a moment of clarity in the helter-skelter of an end-to-end contest.

Cambiasso knows the essential brief of his new job: “To help Leicester survive in the Premier League”, in the first season since their return.

Read more: The National’s predictions for the seventh week of English Premier League action

He has not come to the English midlands in the expectation of trophies. He has plenty of those already: 23 in all, which makes him the most decorated Argentine footballer in history, ahead even of Alfredo Di Stefano, way ahead of Diego Maradona, still ahead of Lionel Messi. The secrets? His high professional standards, the fact of having emerged as a talent very young, but above all his adaptability, his capacity to reinvent himself as a footballer.

Cambiasso was 15 when Real Madrid offered him a future in Spain, alerted to his prodigious development by their Argentinian scouts. Back then, he was a dainty, attacking midfielder, a No 10.

Madrid earmarked him for greatness in that position, and kept their option on him while seeing how he would develop physically in the Argentine league. Once he had helped guide River Plate to a league title in 2002 – he scored frequently for River – they brought him back to Spain.

But in a Madrid squad including Zinedine Zidane, Luis Figo, Guti and several other attacking midfielders, he was asked to take a different role, deeper and more defensive. He learned it quickly, and impressed Vicente Del Bosque, the then Madrid coach, with his “unselfishness.” Yet, as Madrid became more and more seduced by the idea of gathering glamorous stars, he began to feel marginalised.

That was Inter’s opportunity. His decade in Italy bought him five titles, the European Cup, and a position as a trusted anchor midfielder under coaches like Roberto Mancini and Jose Mourinho. He revealed a toughness in the tackle that surprised those who knew him in his teens, great stamina and the kind of vision of the game that makes him, by his own admission, a strong candidate to become a coach when he retires from playing.

To that end, he expects to learn a great deal from his adventure in England.

Pearson, in turn, has spoken of “learning things from Esteban, and all his world experience.” Like Del Bosque, Pearson has so far been struck by the player’s “humility”, and cites his conscientiousness on his first day at Leicester in making sure he memorised all his new teammates’ names.

He probably didn’t need to do that in the Madrid dressing-room where he began his European odyssey, and his colleagues were named Casillas, Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Raul, and Beckham.

Archived