Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the zorro

Women's World Cup 2015

You're writing about awful comparisons, yet you seriously contend that what's going on with the surfaces in Canada 2015 is anywhere close to being in the same ballpark as Euro 2008?

No, and I didn't say that it was. In Canada  it is every single pitch and Euro 2008 was the only the Russian pitch from what I recall.

The point is, there's been more than one direct statement saying that this was blatant discrimination against women, and they would never make the men play on artificial surfaces. Think that was even in the lawsuit. But there's at least one occasion in fairly recent history where men did have to play on an artificial pitch for a major tournament. Bearing in mind that was UEFA not FIFA, I also thought it fair to mention that FIFA was willing to risk the lives of  male players by giving the WC to Qatar. So I don't think it's fair to say men would never be forced to play a WC on artificial turf, coz let's face FIFA is mental and for the right price would ruin either the women's or men's game. It's not as if the men's tournament is cossetted in brotherly love.

I'm not suggesting there isn't horrible gender bias that takes place in some form or another, I'm sure there is. But not every issue should be carelessly attributed to sexual discrimination. It weakens the core argument, and often makes it harder for real progress to be made.

Watched France v England and couldn't believe how poor England are. I haven't watched it before, and thought with all the hype that it may have progressed to a level.

France could play, they were much better, but England's tactic nouse was just non existent.

Continued to watch it for how bad it was really.

Guest MattP

Some of you lot must be desperate for some football if you are tuning into this, I whacked the highlights on for 5 minutes last night and that was more than enough, I don't understand how the game can be played at such a slow pace, it's like watching Serie A in the late 80's if the players had been drugged.

I wouldn't watch Sunday League football which is of a similar standard if they put it on the BBC so I don't get why people watch this.

The Copa America starts tomorrow so you won't have to put up with it anymore.

No, and I didn't say that it was. In Canada  it is every single pitch and Euro 2008 was the only the Russian pitch from what I recall.

The point is, there's been more than one direct statement saying that this was blatant discrimination against women, and they would never make the men play on artificial surfaces. Think that was even in the lawsuit. But there's at least one occasion in fairly recent history where men did have to play on an artificial pitch for a major tournament. Bearing in mind that was UEFA not FIFA, I also thought it fair to mention that FIFA was willing to risk the lives of  male players by giving the WC to Qatar. So I don't think it's fair to say men would never be forced to play a WC on artificial turf, coz let's face FIFA is mental and for the right price would ruin either the women's or men's game. It's not as if the men's tournament is cossetted in brotherly love.

I'm not suggesting there isn't horrible gender bias that takes place in some form or another, I'm sure there is. But not every issue should be carelessly attributed to sexual discrimination. It weakens the core argument, and often makes it harder for real progress to be made.

There's seriously an article on the BBC at the moment citing that a women's match at Goodison Park during World War I pulled in more spectators than Everton did this season. I just stared at it agape at the abject stupidity of the statement on a number of levels.

I've been accused of white knighting on numerous occasions on this forum, I've absolutely no distinct prejudice towards women or women's sport.

But I agree, the media angle in promoting women's football pretty much universally (or, in the English language, anyway) is just completely and totally ludicrous and probably more damaging than good. 

Guest MattP

Anyone remember this? lol

The fact Keys and Gray try to analyse it seriously and just end up being unable to talk is brilliant.

The second goal kills me everytime.

Yes but we never progressed women's rights by letting things take their natural course. We have always needed to be proactive the further the cause.

This is true. Though it's strange so many other sports progress, and might even have an element of 'girl power' to them, but are nowhere near as confrontational as women's football.

Then again, women's snowboarding, skateboarding, tennis etc etc can be massively entertaining in it's own right. So perhaps women's football is getting egged on as the media's way of spicing up what otherwise is not such an exciting sporting event.  "Can't write a full article on 90 minutes of passing to the wrong team...better play up the feminist angle"   :unsure:

Must admit the England game was woeful. You just can't play like that and them claim you are trying to promote the sport...

Really is a huge depth in class between teams like the USA and England

No, and I didn't say that it was. In Canada it is every single pitch and Euro 2008 was the only the Russian pitch from what I recall.

The point is, there's been more than one direct statement saying that this was blatant discrimination against women, and they would never make the men play on artificial surfaces. Think that was even in the lawsuit. But there's at least one occasion in fairly recent history where men did have to play on an artificial pitch for a major tournament. Bearing in mind that was UEFA not FIFA, I also thought it fair to mention that FIFA was willing to risk the lives of male players by giving the WC to Qatar. So I don't think it's fair to say men would never be forced to play a WC on artificial turf, coz let's face FIFA is mental and for the right price would ruin either the women's or men's game. It's not as if the men's tournament is cossetted in brotherly love.

The examples you mention look a lot different to me, absolutely, and I think there's something more to it than FIFA just being careless. In 1994, FIFA paid something like $2 million to take the AstroTurf out of the Pontiac Silverdome to install a temporary grass field. In subsequent World Cups, FIFA have insisted on using natural grass despite having options to use artificial surfaces at two other stadiums.

There has been more research, testing, and use of artificial surfaces, but the standard is still clear across the board that players should play top tournaments on grass.

This time, not only are women being made to play on artificial turf, but FIFA also decided that "consistency" was more important than anything else, so they forced the stadium in Moncton to rip up its grass and install a temporary artificial field.

FIFA have at least acknowledged their folly and have promised to play future WWC's on grass.

Qatar is a different kettle of fish; it doesn't show that FIFA are equal opportunity bastards, but rather that they'll do anything for money.

Who the hell thought - Germany normally play in white, Norway usually wear red. Let's f**k things up by making them both wear their away kits, which just so happen to be the same colour as the other teams home kits.

Cun*s

Archived