Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the zorro

Women's World Cup 2015

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33159574

This annoys the absolute piss out of me.

Not because I think her point is invalid (though calling people uneducated for challenging the ability of women's footballers is a bit petulant) but because it's news outlets like the BBC that actually keep comparing everything in women's football to the men's game.

Videos suggesting things like "anything James Rodriguez can do, Colombian women's footballer can do too!" (que video of James scoring unbelievable world cup goal followed by Colombian woman scoring a Paul Gallagher esque 25 yard hit), dubbing any women's footballer that's pretty good "a Messi" (there's at least two in this WC alone) and "in 1915 more people went to watch a women's game than saw a men's game in 2015!!" etc.

Everyone trying to "sell" women's football is doing it by comparing it to the men's game, you can't then complain when negative comparisons are drawn.

It's by far the over-sell of women's football that annoys me infinitely more than anything to do with the game itself.

I agree, but think she makes a really poor argument anyway.

I like the comparison of Germany battering Ivory Coast 10-0 to David v Goliath, because IC were 'unlucky not to score a few times'.

Maybe if David had nearly hit Goliath with his catapult a couple of times, then got chopped to pieces...

lol

Imagine being called uneducated by Eniola Aluko, she could barely string a coherent sentence together the last time I heard her.

In fairness despite her article being pants she's a trainee solicitor so probably quite bright.

Haha, it seems to be their game plan. Did it in the previous game vs France to great effect.

England have played really well for the first 20 mins, passung it around at ease. Colombia are coming into it a little bit with 34 mins played.

Guest ttfn

2-0. Good penalty.

Get in!

Not looking like we'll top the group though as France are spanking Mexico.

It was a bloody terrible penalty. Nowhere near the corner and the very definition of "at a good height". They all count though

This tournament has been so weird, more or less every 5 minutes I go from thinking the best team in this could probably give a Conference side a game, to thinking my 7-a-side outfit could probably turn them over.

The keeping though, jesus. Some of the efforts that make it into the net make a mockery of this sport.

It was a bloody terrible penalty. Nowhere near the corner and the very definition of "at a good height". They all count though

I'm trying to be positive/enthusiastic. Hence me saying earlier about that FK being powerful when lets be honest the GK should of caught it.

I think I may be getting a bit caught up in it tbh haha. I over hype everything leicester do in a game if I'm being honest. Once passion sets in reality goes out the window.

Ashamed to say I am watching it, eating my takeaway just back from pub. The male commentator (I know his name!) is so condescending, pretending to be excited and raising his voice if a shot flies over th bar.

Game reminds me of Spocks misquote, "it's football Jim, but not as we know it"

I know you are not allowed to criticise as you get accused of an "ism", but surely you expect the supposed cream of women's football to know how to control that round thing. Time to switch over.

good game to watch was that

only thing ive not enjoyed is the biassed commentary

pearce hasnt got it in him to correct sue smith with it & they are demonising certain colombians, even if they do something adequately

ref was kind to england, and if i was colombian id be furious at her performance

but happy days

Sue Smith. Euugh. So over positive about everything and the most biased commentary ive ever heard. "Penalty right in the corner". No it weren't.

Is right I think, if you look at Womens tennis which is relatively popular, how often do you hear the top women compared to the top men? Almost never, they're there on merit and are compared to the great women of the game.

As for one of the Williams sisters beating the bloke ranked 99th in the mens game, have a word, it'd never happen. Andy Murray wanted to put on a match v both of them 1 v 2, Serena I think it was, just laughed and said would be no point because they'd get humiliated. Also whoever Hewitt was with that was the very top woman player of the time, she said they didn't bother practicing together much because of how uncompetitive it was.

Point being it's just not right to compare women to men in nearly all forms of sport because it'll never be a fair comparison, it's just nature.

Never understood that argument as Serena Williams is more or less a bloke so im sure she could deal with quite a few of the men.

I wouldn't mess with her!!!!

Is right I think, if you look at Womens tennis which is relatively popular, how often do you hear the top women compared to the top men? Almost never, they're there on merit and are compared to the great women of the game.

As for one of the Williams sisters beating the bloke ranked 99th in the mens game, have a word, it'd never happen. Andy Murray wanted to put on a match v both of them 1 v 2, Serena I think it was, just laughed and said would be no point because they'd get humiliated. Also whoever Hewitt was with that was the very top woman player of the time, she said they didn't bother practicing together much because of how uncompetitive it was.

Point being it's just not right to compare women to men in nearly all forms of sport because it'll never be a fair comparison, it's just nature.

Your probably right tbf..still rather watch women's tennis though!!!

My picture is breaking up on Eurosport. Anyone else having problems? Did it the other day too. Could it be  the stream from Canada? Improved now as  I am typing. No forget that. Gone shit ape again.

Switched off and on at plug. That fixed it.

Well done canada. Will be in a bind if england beat norway tomorrow as we play winner of that game.

Big england fan (mens team) but never follow england womens cuz canada is actualy just as decent if not better. Thats for another debate. So long as usa loses i dont care lol

Archived