Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the zorro

Women's World Cup 2015

the main reason it's "shit" is because of the severe lack of pace in the game. they all just walk around, so much time, so much space on the pitch. if the pitch was smaller it'd be decent to watch imo. i should run the fa. 

You can't really judge it in one game, if you'd have watched men's football for the first time on Sunday you'd think its pretty shit.

But it was a terrible standard, passing was woeful. France are one of the better sides and they were pretty shit too.

You can't really judge it in one game, if you'd have watched men's football for the first time on then Sunday you'd think its pretty shit.

But it was a terrible standard, passing was woeful. France are one of the better sides and they were pretty shit too.

Actually watched quite a few games... including the last World Cup and the standard hasn't really improved since then

Was  the mens England V Ireland game any better?

I  watched it today. Thought France defended well and it was a fair taken goal. They were evenly matched so it was never going to be anything exceptional.

Watching the 2nd group game now. Hope it is better though.

I try and forget they are women and just see it as another football match. Not all men;s games are good. Many are rubbish.

Nice goal and equaliser. Could be a better game than the earlier one.

I agree that the pitches need to be made smaller, not drastically but reducing them would make the games more entertaining.

In my opinion barring the England game it has been a good advertisement for women's football, lots of goals and some good play overall

Enjoying this Spain Costa Rica game, hot broads all over the shop. Got to be the best looking set of officials in yhe game since Howard Webb retired.

On the actual football, the first Spain goal was a lovely shot on the turn. Been very impressed with the technical ability on show.

My first and last 45 minutes of watching women trying to play football.

What a non event, no disrespect but the standard was abysmal, no concept of tactics or teamwork, no pace or energy, looks like if you have Teflon feet, you are in.

BBC website or red button

I have it on Eurosport.. Watched the england game on Iplayer.

There is a game on at midnight. May have a nap first or I will fall sleep through it. Although I could record it then FF through the boring bits.

So far this WWC, seems to be falling behind the the skill that was on show, in the previous 3.

Plus the players in the previous competitions, seemed to show they enjoyed playing, So far this year many look so miserable

and over aggresive without passion, though the Australians gave a good account of themselves against USA.

So far it could just be the top teams have played well below par comparing to what we have seen of them before.

So far this WWC, seems to be falling behind the the skill that was on show, in the previous 3.

Plus the players in the previous competitions, seemed to show they enjoyed playing, So far this year many look so miserable

and over aggresive without passion, though the Australians gave a good account of themselves against USA.

So far it could just be the top teams have played well below par comparing to what we have seen of them before.

1) This is the first WWC with 24 teams, and it will take a couple of tournaments for the depth of the field to catch up.

2) They're playing on artificial turf. Modern, next-gen surfaces, yes, but still not grass.

But I wouldn't say so far that, outside of Côte d'Ivoire and Ecuador, that the play has gotten worse.

I think the almost overwhelming emphasis being placed on this being "a women's tournament" is doing them more harm than good. In every promo clip or pre-match show there seems to be a constant comparison made to the men's game. Either they suggest the women's game is discriminated against: lack of media coverage, lower wages, playing on artificial pitches. etc.  Or they talk up areas where the women's game is superior, for example, Abby Wambach scoring more international goals than any male player.

In the first case there might be some discrimination but a lot of it is based on market demand and evident quality standards. Plus men have played on artificial pitches too (euro 2008) and they even voted for them to play in Qatar of all places. So the Chiefs dish out bad deals to the men as well, if it's any consolation.

In the second case, Abby Wambach's record (and others like it) probably speak more of the poor defending and lack of competition for team places, than Abby Wambach's goal scoring ability.

I have a hard time supporting anything that either paints me as a villain, or insults my intelligence. I just hate to see it turned into a never ending "Us vs Them".  Seems self-defeating.

You're writing about awful comparisons, yet you seriously contend that what's going on with the surfaces in Canada 2015 is anywhere close to being in the same ballpark as Euro 2008?

Archived