Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jam

Esteban's not coming back

If Pearson was sacked right at the end of last season, then I could believe Cambiasso not signing is due to Ranieiri but he had ample time to re-sign before Pearson left. I'd like to think the owners or someone contacted Cambiasso and asked his opinion of Ranieri before appointing him.

Maybe he didn't like the deadline we gave him or maybe their paying his agent brother more money.

I doubt the owners would care about the opinion of an out of contract player on who should be the next manager

I find it hard to believe that Cambiasso would sign for at PL club again. He did wonderfully here and would only tarnish his reputation - which apparently is important to him. Signing for us was - I guess - to show the mangement of Inter Milan that he still "has it".

Neither Villa nor West Ham are anything special and he could only "fail" compared to what he did here. I am convinced that he will not come back to the PL but end up in the US or Argentina.

"All great sides are built on clean sheets. You can achieve nothing in life, let alone football, without strong foundations"...Brian Clough.

This was completely true of LCFC last season. The acquisition of Rob Huth and the change of formation to make us defensively tighter made all the difference to how we played and how we performed.

I said during the season and say it again, Cambiasso benefitted (as did the whole team) from Nigel Pearson learning how to play in this division and sorting us out, tactically. Until then, he was almost an ever present in a team that looked devoid of confidence, couldn't buy a victory and looked doomed to relegation.

Cambiasso is a class footballer, and has been throughout his career. But I've long maintained that his contribution to LCFC THROUGHOUT last season was good, but not brilliant.

I'm sorry to see him go, sure, but we move on and I now hope that Ranieri can get us tactically set up for the demands of the division AND sign that crucial centre midfield player who can support the defence with strength, positioning and pace.

"All great sides are built on clean sheets. You can achieve nothing in life, let alone football, without strong foundations"...Brian Clough.

This was completely true of LCFC last season. The acquisition of Rob Huth and the change of formation to make us defensively tighter made all the difference to how we played and how we performed.

I said during the season and say it again, Cambiasso benefitted (as did the whole team) from Nigel Pearson learning how to play in this division and sorting us out, tactically. Until then, he was almost an ever present in a team that looked devoid of confidence, couldn't buy a victory and looked doomed to relegation.

Cambiasso is a class footballer, and has been throughout his career. But I've long maintained that his contribution to LCFC THROUGHOUT last season was good, but not brilliant.

I'm sorry to see him go, sure, but we move on and I now hope that Ranieri can get us tactically set up for the demands of the division AND sign that crucial centre midfield player who can support the defence with strength, positioning and pace.

100% spot on, good post

Couldn't have said it better myself, surely Huth would have been Player of the Season had he been here since day one.

Gutted that Cambiasso has gone like the rest of us and kind of in agreement about the fact that Huth was equally as important.  It is worrying though that we are one injury away (Huth) from being more or less the same side that was so poor for over half the season.  We've regressed over the summer in terms of quality (and taking age into the the equation.)

The loss of Cambiasso is significant as we really do not have an equal or near equal to replace him. Same with Huth.......an injury to him and the replacement would be?

A few key positions are at the moment a little weak and to strengthen the team a couple of quality signings would go along way to start the season.

Regressed or progressed is open to opinion. Players have a year of PL experience now which is useful.

We need two quality CM's and another defender. Then I think we are more or less set for mid table mediocrity - which is love this year.

I find it strange that people honestly think that CR is at fault for him not signing.  No one knows why he hasn't re-signed.  I think the club didn't want to be held to ransom over wage demands but I'm sure it's not that simple.  I see it as his loss more than ours.

If people want to blame CR then surely they have to hold Pearson accountable as he is the person that left us in this situation by relying on a re-signing 35 year old to build our midfield around, one who's legs aren't what they used to be.

Watching Cambiasso last season was a treat, he was great at making interceptions but for all his strengths his weaknesses were showing.  Having him last season was an amazing stop gap but we have to have a player to fill that role and take the club forward.

I think one of the biggest disappointments of Cambiasso leaving is the lack of quality and numbers we now have in that position. We have lost one of last seasons best players with no one able to step in and replace. It wouldn't have been as bad if we had a ready made replacement but at this moment we are dreadfully short of numbers in his position.

While I welcome Ranieri at our club and am really looking forward to the new season, he has, in my view, already made one big mistake in his short time here – by stating publicly that he needs to find a leader for this team. Even going to the length of saying that he will undertake a "global search". 

Honest? Maybe. Foolish? Definitely. Surprisingly so, even, considering his experience.

Can you imagine the agents' glee at a statement like that? And what does the admittance that we "need a leader" say about the current crop?

I know it's only words, but knowing how much confidence means to footballers, Ranieri could at least used Cambiasso's departure to say something along the lines of "well, Esteban has gone, so the others need to step up now. The squad is full of strong players and I'm looking forward to see who the leaders are in this squad."

Everyone can see we need strengthening in the middle of the park – but not sure why he had to give a statement out that suggest we are leaderless, even if that is the case!

While I welcome Ranieri at our club and am really looking forward to the new season, he has, in my view, already made one big mistake in his short time here – by stating publicly that he needs to find a leader for this team. Even going to the length of saying that he will undertake a "global search". 

Honest? Maybe. Foolish? Definitely. Surprisingly so, even, considering his experience.

Can you imagine the agents' glee at a statement like that? And what does the admittance that we "need a leader" say about the current crop?

I know it's only words, but knowing how much confidence means to footballers, Ranieri could at least used Cambiasso's departure to say something along the lines of "well, Esteban has gone, so the others need to step up now. The squad is full of strong players and I'm looking forward to see who the leaders are in this squad."

Everyone can see we need strengthening in the middle of the park – but not sure why he had to give a statement out that suggest we are leaderless, even if that is the case!

It could work in his favour too though its possible a big name will relish the challenge of replacing Cambiasso and becoming a leader for a Premier League team, personally I think it will turn out to be a major fail though!

It could work in his favour too though its possible a big name will relish the challenge of replacing Cambiasso and becoming a leader for a Premier League team, personally I think it will turn out to be a major fail though!

I guess so, if the process of buying players (and the alerting of players/agents of available positions of leadership) is conducted through media statements. But surely Ranieri has such a good network by now that he can, to quote that legend Joe Kinnear, "pick up the phone to anyone at any time of the day". 

I expected a different type of project for Cambiasso after he left. Not a Mediocre one at Villa or West Ham.

The clubs being linked show this profile and respect Ranieri was meant to have with the "elite" in world football may just be in Top's head.

Archived