Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Claridge

John rudkin

Watford have signed quite a few international players and beaten a few respected foreign clubs for their signatures - but what chance have they got?

It's certainly fine beating decent clubs for higher calibre players, but the key is that they have to INTEGRATE with how fellow team members play successfully.

I've never given a second thought to Watford and can't think of a reason why I would. As for the integration that's down to the manager on the playing side.

Doubtless Rudkin will assist in other aspects but I can't imagine it being a problem. Rudkin has overseen the arrival of countless young players to the Academy section of the club for years. I'd imagine it's one of his major strengths...along with organisation in general.       

that was 7 and 10 years ago they both really set the world of lower league football alight.

Yet they seem to be ahead of most of those we kept now. You can't big the bloke up about one thing and make excuses for another... either way, point is when nobody has a clue what's the point in slating him or crediting him.

People on here credited Andrew Neville with a great window under Sven, then it turned out the players were shit and he took a massive proportion of the blame. Not only for the players but also the money they are on. If Rudkin like Neville is being given free reign to get people in spending whatever he wants, then it's not the hardest job in the world.

If on the other hand he's got these people on great contracts for us, with release clauses, with nothing that will threaten our financial well being... then great. That's the kind of stuff you never find out though until the shit actually hits the fan though.

Yet they seem to be ahead of most of those we kept now. You can't big the bloke up about one thing and make excuses for another... either way, point is when nobody has a clue what's the point in slating him or crediting him.

People on here credited Andrew Neville with a great window under Sven, then it turned out the players were shit and he took a massive proportion of the blame. Not only for the players but also the money they are on. If Rudkin like Neville is being given free reign to get people in spending whatever he wants, then it's not the hardest job in the world.

If on the other hand he's got these people on great contracts for us, with release clauses, with nothing that will threaten our financial well being... then great. That's the kind of stuff you never find out though until the shit actually hits the fan though.

I don't get the need to praise or hammer what are essentially Senior Administrators. 

Although we obviously need a scapegoat fro when things go to rat shit - carry on everyone

• 8 months later...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/10/leicesters-premier-league-title-glory-fails-to-inspire-youth-sid/

Make of it what you will, does seem a bit strange that given the success of the previous years U21 and U18 sides that they have gone downhill a bit this season. Also mods can move if you feel it should go in the development squad section.

Leicester City's first team successes have not filtered through to their academy, with their U21 side facing relegation from the Barclays U21 Premier League next week.

Their development squad will be demoted to the second tier of the U21 Premier League if they do not beat Chelsea at The King Power Stadium on Thursday.

In spite of the senior side's exploits, the feel-good factor has not been permeated to the U21s, as a run of five successive defeats has seen them plummet down the table. 

Leicester's youngsters have struggled to match the seniors' exploits

While this may a surprise to many, relegation will confirm the feelings of discontent held by various people at the club with regards to style of football being played and the culture being adopted, which provides a stark contrast to the team spirit which has been integral to the first team's achievement's this season. 

Leicester's U18s have also underperformed this season, with a fourth round FA Youth Cup exit at the hands of Blackburn Rovers setting the tone for a mediocre season in which they finished mid-table in the second tier of the U18 Premier League.

Much of the blame for this stagnation has been aimed at the club's director of football, Jon Rudkin, who has been accused of facilitating a nauseating atmosphere within the academy.

Regular watchers of the academy sides have been dismayed by the old school playing style being adopted, while manager Claudio Ranieri - who was in attendance at U21 games early on in the season - has not been seen at a development squad fixture for the past few months.

Furthermore, people close to the club hold the belief that Rudkin is employing certain members of the academy staff for reasons other than meritocracy.

An example of these shortcomings has been the overlooking of the U16s coach, Inigo Idiakez, who has impressed parents and players alike with his proactive coaching methods and promotion of fluid football, with 11 U16s receiving international call-ups in the past three years.

In light of this success, Idiakez was expected to make to make the natural step up ladder to coach the U18 side, but it is understood that this move was rejected by Rudkin, who instead opted to keep Trevor Peake and Steve Beaglehole in their respective posts as coaches of the U18 and U21 sides, a move that has secretly disgruntled the Spaniard.

Rudkin, Peake and Beaglehole have all been long-serving members of the club, building a strong relationship as a result, causing those associated with the academy to infer that their appointments were made for matters beyond the football pitch. 

Furthermore, the recruitment policy adopted by the academy staff have also contradicted the much idealised methods of the first team, whose cheap purchases of players such as Jamie Vardy, Riyad Mahrez and N'golo Kante received vast adulation.

Chilwell is a rare success story for the Leicester youth system in recent seasons

As the academy prepare to compete in the UEFA Youth League next season - as a result of the first team's qualification for the Champions League - new head of youth recruitment, David Johnson, has received criticism for neglecting the homegrown talent and focusing mainly on young, foreign international stars, with 18-year-olds such as AC Milan defender Manuel Locatelli and Genk's Jamaican-born defender Leon Bailey all on the club's radar.

All of this has been in addition to the plethora of trialists that have entered the club's doors in recent weeks, including 17-year-old Romanian goalkeeper Andrei Voican and Finland youth international Serge Atakayi.

The club will claim that it is not about results at youth level, and will point to the likes of Ben Chilwell and Joe Dodoo who have made first team appearances in the past two seasons, while midfielder Hamza Choudhury has impressed during his loan spell at Burton Albion this season.

But it is in no doubt that the U21s' relegation will be an embarrassment for the club, providing a blot on what has been a remarkable season at first team level.

I usually keep an eye out for the U21 results but due to the first team's successes this season my eye has wandered. I am very surprised by how far the team has fallen. This could be to do with players such as Chilwell, Dodoo and Choudhury playing elsewhere.

I usually keep an eye out for the U21 results but due to the first team's successes this season my eye has wandered. I am very surprised by how far the team has fallen. This could be to do with players such as Chilwell, Dodoo and Choudhury playing elsewhere.

In part I agree but I also watched a few U21 games and its just hoof ball, changed from last season which was quite nice quick attacking football but also quite possession based at times.

Don't know why the U16 coach hasn't been promoted as I have only ever heard good things about his methods and playing style. Hopefully Ranieri will have a look during the off season and recommend some changes (If thats within his jurisdiction).

Rudkin is an arse. Only bit about the club I hate right now. He is arrogant and big headed. This story doesn't suprise me at all. He really has annoyed a lot of people on his way to the 'top' and now people really hate him for it.

I don't do negative posts often but the subject of this guy gets my blood boiling. The academy needs a shake up! He needs to be shown the door for this to happen.

Rudkin is an arse. Only bit about the club I hate right now. He is arrogant and big headed. This story doesn't suprise me at all. He really has annoyed a lot of people on his way to the 'top' and now people really hate him for it.

I don't do negative posts often but the subject of this guy gets my blood boiling. The academy needs a shake up! He needs to be shown the door for this to happen.

Forgive me for sounding like an idiot but what role does a director of football fulfill?

I have heard some things about him but until I saw this I thought he was doing a decent enough job. There defiantly needs a change in the youth system, as stated above the U16 coach should be promoted to U18 or even U21 as he sounds very good.

Rudkin is a complete tool, power hungry and abrasive. 

How he can do both DOF and oversee the academy is beyond me, needs to let one go. 

He won't be going anywhere though, been at the club for donkeys and adored by the owners.

Forgive me for sounding like an idiot but what role does a director of football fulfill?

I have heard some things about him but until I saw this I thought he was doing a decent enough job. There defiantly needs a change in the youth system, as stated above the U16 coach should be promoted to U18 or even U21 as he sounds very good.

He is essentially overseeing the academy and also negotiating contracts and overseeing the club in general. Personal experience has led me to have quite a gripe with him admittedly. But I know of plenty in and around the club who despise the man and are unhappy with his sharp rise within the club. He has made a few controversial decisions recently and this is one of them.

Idiakez is amazing! And he is trying to promote touch football within the club, then at an older age it all boils down to giving the reserves a run out with no regards to the cost of youth development.

He is essentially overseeing the academy and also negotiating contracts and overseeing the club in general. Personal experience has led me to have quite a gripe with him admittedly. But I know of plenty in and around the club who despise the man and are unhappy with his sharp rise within the club. He has made a few controversial decisions recently and this is one of them.

Idiakez is amazing! And he is trying to promote touch football within the club, then at an older age it all boils down to giving the reserves a run out with no regards to the cost of youth development.

Think that is too much control for one person, can't Ranieri have a say or is it down to the owners.

I do find it strange that players like Moore and Blyth have been getting consistent game time in the U21 when they are 23. would be better to give those spaces to U18 players who need the matches to develop.

Also don't know if anyone has any inside knowledge but why was Keenan King released, thought he was still very young and one of our better prospects?

http://www.vavel.com/en/football/premier-league/leicester-city/640012-academy-one-new-young-fox-with-many-more-to-come.html

Rudkin is a complete tool, power hungry and abrasive. 

How he can do both DOF and oversee the academy is beyond me, needs to let one go. 

He won't be going anywhere though, been at the club for donkeys and adored by the owners.

No fooking wonder they adore him. Since they appointed him, we have pulled off the greatest escape in history and pissed the league 10 odd points. Not all his doing but I'd be pretty fooking smug if I was him

Our academy does need focusing on. We've invested a lot of time and money to get the best facilities and status but there's very little progression. I dislike Rudkin for numerous reasons and until he goes I think it won't be resolved. Could Chilwell's reluctance to sign a new deal be linked to any of this?

Could Chilwell's reluctance to sign a new deal be linked to any of this?

It's all conjecture I guess because we'll never know for sure - but if Rudkin is as divisive as that article makes out then it's certainly not too big a leap of faith to think it could have something to do with it.  

Difficult to know if the clubs success is because of him or despite him. Was instrumental in removing Pearson for the various actions and reasons (many) he bought up on himself, that was right. Also involved in the appointment of Claudio.

Not loved in the academy, he cant juggle all balls. 

Its fair to say he does look and come across a that dick at school that you would thump. This season has made him a very wealthy dick.

Our academy does need focusing on. We've invested a lot of time and money to get the best facilities and status but there's very little progression. I dislike Rudkin for numerous reasons and until he goes I think it won't be resolved. Could Chilwell's reluctance to sign a new deal be linked to any of this?

Is one of them because he has the gig most of us would love having accepted we aren't going to be a footballer? It's a yes from me!

No fooking wonder they adore him. Since they appointed him, we have pulled off the greatest escape in history and pissed the league 10 odd points. Not all his doing but I'd be pretty fooking smug if I was him

Not all his doing?

How much credit are you trying to give him? He seems to me to be a pretty minor factor.

Archived