Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcnsk

Jamie Vardy

Why do we continually seem to have this ability to shoot ourselves in the foot?

Firstly Pearson with all his nonsense last season, then James and Thailand...and now this.

After such a brilliant afternoon, can't the club stay out of the press for the wrong reasons for any length of time?

This I'm afraid. Jap on it's own isn't racist but using it in the context he has leads me to believe that was his intention. Call him mate, pricck , twat. Anything but Jap. FFS vardy you tit

He was probably on the beers. Probably meant nothing by it. Forgot he even said it 30 seconds later.

This desperate need to be offended by everything is holding society back.

You can argue that Jap isn't a racist term all you like but with the suggested context of the situation he is using the word Jap to insult the man.

The fact is, Japanese people ARE offended by this. I have two Japanese friends both of which find it offensive and it originates from a genuine hate of Japanese people. Using Aussie as a likeness for example is irrelevant.

And that we also have a Japanese player in our squad as well. How will he take this?

Absolutely love Vardy but in today's day and age should know better than that. Not quite sure what to make of it.

Bad timing that's for sure!!

The key is how the word originated.  

So the words Brit and Aussie stem from a friendly rivalry, even the word Brit is used by ourselves on television and such.  Similary, British commentators use Aussie, but do you ever see them say Japs on commentary of the Japanese football team?  

The words Jap and Paki for example originate based on a hatred of the race in concern, and that is why the word Jap is offensive/racist.

Using the word "Paki" is a horrible racist term. But would you consider using the term "Pole" racist?

Offensive and racist are different things; you can take offence from something without it intentionally being racist. Japan is a nation, not a race. Jap the term refers to the Japanese and did during WW2. If Vardy called said, 'walk on oriental ,' sure it would be taken as racism and offence.

These cases reveal fine lines between what is considered racist and what is not, who is an actual racist, and who is not. My opinion suggests that even if Vardy had said this, the person on the receiving end Japanese or not, I fully doubt would have been taken it as racism as many Japanese are not offended by the term Jap.

-

And i'd like to add that the chances of this actually being legit are incredibly slim, due to the fact 'Jap' isn't a household term used in England. In America i've heard it everywhere and even then it's never used as an offence, just as a nickname / norm. 

If people class paki as a racist term then Jap is also the same.

He said it to have negative connotations. It will be interesting now it's one of our best players how many hypocrites attempt to write this off as nothing.

You've jumped straight onto the Journalists and apparent victims agenda straight away. These matters need clarifying first and i wouldn't at all be surprised if he used the word "chap". Innocent till proven guilty in this country and you're already playing the Vardy as the guilty culprit, when indeed this could just be a case of somebody trying to milk him for his money. Having said that, if he did intend this with a derogatory manner, then it needs dealing with properly.

PS. It will be interesting now it's one of our best players how many hypocrites attempt to write this off as nothing. Out of order tbh.

Archived