Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcnsk

Jamie Vardy

The first little rhyme I was taught at school, by a teacher, goes as follows.

Eeny meeny minee moe

Catch a nigger by the toe,

If he squeals  let him go,

Eeny meeny miny moe.

1955 was the year I learnt that, and the kids sang it in the playground. It was considered great fun, and could always be heard on a daily basis.It was never anything more than a fun rhyme.

In some the Rupert Bear annuals I still have, there is a lovely little chap in a white nightshirt, with big red lips, and a few strands of hair sticking upwards. He was called "the little Coon", and was a lovely character.

One of most of us children's favourite stories, was "Little Black Sambo", a truly wonderful heroic character. (I bought a copy a couple of years ago, for my other half, who also loved it)

Growing up, none of us had to endure the pathetic whimpering, that some people shove down our throats nowadays, actively seeking out anything that MIGHT be ceased upon as being racist. It is the people who do this, who actively create unrest among people. Very sad, and empty headed people.

I am oh so glad, I had my childhood when I did, and not now.

wow 

Might have been delightful for you as a child but perhaps caricatures of other races weren't so much fun for black children.

You haven't been a child for many years, perhaps it's time to start thinking about these issues like an adult and to put yourself in someone else's shoes.

We never had any non white children, in any of the schools I attended. Fact.

We never had any non white children, in any of the schools I attended. Fact.

Did they have to go to the other water fountains?

You're being a bit of a dinosaur, that terms like nigger and coon aren't things anymore isn't a bad thing, it's a sign of a society that is becoming more tolerant

He's a bigoted ****. He thinks gays are sub human and like a lot of his generation has ignorant and outdated views about race as well now it seems.

Oh, and he thinks Jimmy Saville was a stand-up bloke lol

You just don't have a clue about me mush.

I used to go drinking in the gay pub in Wycombe, and three years ago, saw New Year in one with my other half, down in Kent

If he hadn't have used the word Jap then he clearly would've said so.

Would he?

I'm sure he'll have been advised not to mention what he said either way until his solicitors have determined where he stands legally and the club investigation is concluded.

Point still stands though, he has not admitted or apologised for racist language

He appears to have apologised (bbc sport). Which means it was a racial slur. Internal investigation, then ?

How stupid to do this after Thailand!

We are a family club, backed by a global brand and King Power didn't buy LCFC because of their love of football or to make a profit. They bought it for Premier League global publicity and unfortunately I expect the worst. Contract terminated.

You just don't have a clue about me mush.

I used to go drinking in the gay pub in Wycombe, and three years ago, saw New Year in one with my other half, down in Kent

Going in a gay pub once doesn't make thinking 'nigger' or 'coon' are tolerable, any more acceptable.

Just from that you can tell you're a sad, sad old man.

I love Vardy but he's been out of order here. You can't compare it to 'Brit' 'scot' etc. He called him 'jap' to be derogatory towards him therefore it's racist in my opinion.

Glad he's apologised. Suarez and Terry never bothered doing the same.

Sure the FA will be all over it like the do gooders they are.

The man is worth millions and is one of our most important players! Without him we will struggle in this league. He is an asset and so will therefore have more leniency than the Thailand 3.

Tbf it's not clear what he says and I doubt anyone was interviewed regarding the incident, it will blow over.

Is some of this generational?

My mum in her 60's would say Jap is a racist term as was used pejoratively towards Japanese soldiers in world war 2.

I'm unsure in my 30's - had to look up the war links to feel more informed and have certainly heard Jap used in normal conversation in a non racist way - ironically many times in the stadium yesterday! So I am undecided.

However, my 12 year old son has just read this on sky sports and thinks it's ridiculous. He can give a clear definition of what he considers racism to mean and feels quite strongly about it. When I asked if he'd call someone a paki or a pikey he said no because those words are insulting. He cannot understand why jap is racist, he says it's short for Japanese and he would describe a school friend using it or talk about jap cars etc. He had no idea it could be offensive and no idea about how the war has influenced the term. When I explained he said but the war ended a long time before Jamie Vardy was born, he might not know about that just like I didn't? He said 'he shouldn't get drunk and shout at people so he should say sorry for that, but not for racism because he wasn't being racist, just for being rude'

Food for thought from the next generation.

Did they have to go to the other water fountains?

You're being a bit of a dinosaur, that terms like nigger and coon aren't things anymore isn't a bad thing, it's a sign of a society that is becoming more tolerant

Not really. Sadly.

To be fair, Bah Bah Black sheep is now Racist. It's a culture supposed 'ethnic minority' groups have created to use for there own purpose whether thats creating an argument, or getting opportunities they don't deserve.

How many referred to Australians as 'Aussies'? Would you expect to be marched out of your workplace after calling them that giving an update on the ashes?

This is actually pathetic.

Actually you have picked up on what I was saying. Being young in my day, the word racist never existed, and nothing in the way we lived even resembled today's world.

Some people on here just eat and breathe racism, using it on a day to day basis. I never saw a black person until I was fifteen, and not another, for a few years more.

People of my age group, will understand the difference, because we have experienced both eras, while today's young people can only gage anything by the world they were brought up in. It's nobody's fault, but that the way it is/was.

Us old 'uns lived in a world of free speech, which has sadly now evaporated, into the "Big Brother Is Watching You" era.

Archived