Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcnsk

Jamie Vardy

It doesn't seem to be black and white with this particular term.

it ain't about black or white cos we're human, hope we see the light before it's ruined, my ghetto gospel 

Sorry if this has already been said can't arsed to go through all 30 pages

I've not seen the video myself but is there ANY chance he could of simply been saying CHAP instead of JAP??

Well considering he's already apologised for it, I doubt he said chap. Who the bloody hell says Yo Chap anyway

Not read all 30 pages, but the only difference I could see between this and the Thai incident (and Vardy's saving grace) is that this was done in his own time, not on an official club trip?

It's not the same as calling someone a "Brit" or an "Aussie" though because the connotations it has, "Jap" is a pejorative now, it might not have been 60 years ago but it is now.

Think you meant wong

Taxi! And for the record I'm not racist at all my missus is from south africa. Too many people don't have a sense of humour these days.

Our company has a fillipino secretary and I called her she says I'm in the oppiss? That's not racist it's just funny and true.

Personally put this down to stupidity rather than malice, don't really drink alcohol but know of plenty of friends who have made complete A holes of themselves and blamed it on alcohol. Also the cctv seems to be grainy and very heavily doctored and the added subtitles and then inaudible sound makes for a sketchy argument from the Sun remember they haven't got an issue in hacking dead youngsters phones so manipulating this to generate a story wouldn't be an issue for them. If it was that important why not break it when it happened.

Vardy does need a dressing down and personally would have more of an issue of drinking and gambling rather than what looks like ignorance and a lack of an education, he could actually claim to  read the Sun who happily use the term Jap on a regular basis if indeed that is what he said. Hopefully the lynch mob can stand down.

Well considering he's already apologised for it, I doubt he said chap. Who the bloody hell says Yo Chap anyway

More to the point, Who says Yo Jap?? To me it would be a far stranger sentence to say yo jap than yo chap?!...anyway, non story reported by the second most racist newspaper in the UK.

It's not the same as calling someone a "Brit" or an "Aussie" though because the connotations it has, "Jap" is a pejorative now, it might not have been 60 years ago but it is now.

Doubt many Japanese find it offensive as mostly they seem pretty laid back. I'm gonna ask a few though and see if they do find it offensive or if the media is just making a story from nothing. Will report back my findings.

Haven't read the whole thread In case there's any confusion, I had a very, very brief discussion with a Japanese guy on twitter, who thinks it's a racist term.

imo the receiver defines whether something's racist or not.

Haven't read the whole thread In case there's any confusion, I had a very, very brief discussion with a Japanese guy on twitter, who thinks it's a racist term.

imo the receiver defines whether something's racist or not.

I don't agree, we define what's racist or not by discussing a particular term to find out what it means. Just as has been done on this thread.

I don't like giving up the task of determining what's racist to the receiver is that some people will exploit this by putting their stamp of disapproval on anything they want.

Yes we are. It's just you don't like other people's opinions not matching your own as per usual.

This isn't a matter of opinion, it's a simple matter of fact - jap is a pejorative term, that it's short for Japanese doesn't make it not racist - case in point, paki.

Or, in language you'll understand hurr de durr durr, being short don't mean it ain't racist, de deedly derp

Perhaps it depends on the country you live in. Here in canada if you called someone a jap they would take it offensively. Sure it may seem short for japanese but can have a negative meaning associated to it particularly if used in a derogatory manner. If he told the guy to fook off or something thats one thing. The second you make it about race then its clearly racially motivated. Doesnt mean he is racist but maybe in the heat of the moment he blurted it out.

Ultimately as a mixed race guy i will accept an apology because it takes a man to own up and apologize. Should he suffer some consequence yes. Small fine or game ban sure. Need to let others know its not ok.

Are we a bit sensitive at times..yes.. but i was racially abused many times growing up being called a paki (even though im not pakistani) so i understand that what might seem like nothing to you might be a bigger deal to someone like me.

With that said most people are guilty of using racial slurs/slang in our own homes at some point in life. Are we racist, no. Are we stupid for saying it, yes.

Given whats happened so far this year you cant blame the team for taking any tough stance for racial related issues.

Vardy will learn and grow from this and hopefully be a better man.

No he hasn't, he's apologised for any offence caused, an error in judgement and his behaviour. Nowhere does he admit or apologise for racist language. So as yet, we still don't know whether he said Jap or chap

Archived