Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Vardy and England

If he thinks Leicester v England - there's only one answer, us, as England games often have a lot of pressure on the players whilst we're probably overachieving at the moment and high on confidence.

Edit: Thinking about it, I bet our team would beat England on our current form. lol

He will be called up I reckon, but probably won't start. It will be Rooney and Kane if he's fit no doubt or it will be Rooney and a couple of attacking midfielders.

It would be interesting to see how he does against a team that doesn't leave their own box though. That's going to happen to us in the near future.

Think it a cert that he gets in the squad and seeing that it is San Marino could start.  A good game for Hodgson to judge his international capabilities without exposing him to a much better side.

Rooney - Kane

Vardy sub

Possibly Sturridge if he's fit and proper if not Berahino.

Face it, England's options are pretty shit, Vardy is well within a chance to get called up and actually start - if Kane / Rooney continue to play mediocre Vardy would irregardless of sentiment get the start.

It'll be ings, Kane and Rooney with Townsend, Walcott, the ox and lallana as attacking mids let's not kid ourselves here

Don't think he'll pick Ings as he's now Liverpool's 3rd choice striker.

Rooney - Kane

Vardy sub

Face it, England's options are pretty shit, Vardy is well within a chance to get called up and actually start - if Kane / Rooney continue to play mediocre Vardy would irregardless of sentiment get the start.

he picked lambert didn't he? and he wasn't even meant to be good or young or anything

Rooney - Kane

Vardy sub

If the England team was picked on merit, yes, but it isn't. Rooney is the golden boy and fans refuse to accept that he should be left out on account of being shit for 11 years, and the media love kane

Forget Ings and Rooney, the continued love-in for Berahino baffles me more than anything. He's been absolute wank for most of 2015. We saw what he's like in that game at the Hawthorns - greedy on the ball and as accurate as a fish with cataracts. What on earth has he done in the past 8 months to merit a place ahead of Vardy?

In an ideal world, Vardy is third choice England striker on form behind Austin and Kane, but unfortunately that's never going to be the case while the game remains as it is. Austin is still playing in the Championship and Kane hasn't scored yet this season despite doing all the other stuff right, which on Garth Crooks logic makes them unpickable. You could also argue that an on-form Sturridge or Welbeck would be in there if they weren't injured, but again, Vardy's current form is the key. If he goes off the boil, by all means put his international career on ice, but Hodgson must be having wet dreams at the prospect of letting Jamie out against San Marino, if not for his finishing then for his workrate and assist rate. We might finally get a cricket score again.

I don't mind having Rooney in the line-up as I feel he plays the Nugent role - in the hole, not necessarily the goalscorer and linking up to midfield - well. But as an out-and-out striker, surely Vardy is up there at the minute despite a modest goals return for his assists record and pace.

Edit - Footnote on Ings: Every aspiring England striker should know by now that moving to Liverpool, especially Brendan Rodgers' Liverpool, is career suicide. Forget him, he won't be playing for England again. I'd say I feel bad for him, but he should know that Anfield is a graveyard for aspiring talent - the club is poison to the game at times. I hope his stay is brief and he gets a shot at a lower-table Prem side to rebuild his career, because I can already see him benchwarming and regressing massively.

The thing is if England played a style of football that suited fast, direct, counter attacking footballers then Vardy would be the first name on the team sheet. If Roy picked the best squad possible on for, then Vardy would be in without a second thought.

Unfortunately England play a style where we will have a slow and patient build up and try to camp ourselves in the final third. This does not suit Vardy (and imo doesn't suit English players on the whole). The other problem is that Roy has openly said if you are English and "play" for a top 5 premium team, even if you don't play regularly, then you are basically nailed on for a call up.

Against San Marino it'll be kane and Rooney. Vardy should be in the squad but I think he'll struggle for game time which is a real shame. If only the team was picked on form...

I'd rather than Puncheon than Townsend (even if he does tend to perform better for England than Spurs). He had a sensational season last time out and he'd offer us something different, certainly no harm in seeing how he'd get on.

It'd seem you can't win with some - pick bit-part players from bigger clubs and fans cry that people aren't being picked on merit, go for someone who's shining at a mid-table side and they aren't deemed good enough for England before a ball is kicked.

You'd think after all the championing we gave Vardy after his call up that people on this board especially would know better, obviously there's still one or two melts.

I'd rather than Puncheon than Townsend (even if he does tend to perform better for England than Spurs). He had a sensational season last time out and he'd offer us something different, certainly no harm in seeing how he'd get on.

It'd seem you can't win with some - pick bit-part players from bigger clubs and fans cry that people aren't being picked on merit, go for someone who's shining at a mid-table side and they aren't deemed good enough for England before a ball is kicked.

You'd think after all the championing we gave Vardy after his call up that people on this board especially would know better, obviously there's still one or two melts.

tbf vardy is sick an puncheon isnt 

id rather play with ten than townsend though 

You know things aren't brilliant when these two are tipped for the national team:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34006936

Eh, puncheon and Dann have played well enough to deserve a spot. I'd be considering Murray if he can pick up last seasons form again for palace

Berahino scored 9 more goals than Vardy last season, he's not shit at all.

Kane scored 25 more, he's still utter wank.

Unfortunately with England, providing Rooney is fit he starts else its media uproar time. The rest of the strikers who are all in better form have to fit around him.

Even if Rooney is undroppable ( lol) Roy shouldve left him out in Dublin and started Austin and Vards.

If Vardy is selected he needs to start v San Marino in order to get on the scoresheet IMO. And I'd be surprised if he featured at all in the game against a stronger Swiss side assuming he makes no impact in Italy

That's the point though. Rooney IS undroppable - at least until he is stripped of the England captaincy.

Archived