Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Vardy and England

You've highlighted my issue really. People talk about him for man utd where he's usually pretty bloody good. For one reason or other though as many have also failed, he doesn't repeat this form for England in tournaments. When he's poor he's shocking and to me its a position on the field wasted.

Whoever has tried to evolve him into some all round great instead of a shit hot striker playing off the last man has made a major balls up for England

Totally agree. Rooney for England isn't even the same player as the one who plays for man u. He hasn't done anything note worthy in any tournament but then if I'm honest, all of the England squad shave failed to impress in tournaments in a long time

When was he last 'on-form' though?

Rooney would be in my squad but he's not the player he was, and our approach of building around him has blatantly not worked.

Speaking of world class England players... Ashley Cole and John Terry. Those two were consistently very good for years. The ship has sailed but we didn't half miss Terry in hindsight.

If you're looking at current form I think Vardy's in the next squad, and possibly even Albrighton too.

Yeah John Terry, too. Forget about him as he retired from international football so early!

I'd be really surprised if Albrighton gets in the squad, think he's more likely to put Puncheon in.

Just seen a photo of Roys notes, he was impressed by all our English talent:-

Vardy - Start

Albwighton - Sub

Dwinkwater - Squad

Filbert - New England mascot

King Power Stadium Catewing - To weplace Wembleys scandalous cuwwent "service". Chicken Balti Pies Twiffic, Bovwil well hot. Ouch.

Birch - Order him a suit of England flag design, employ to whip up some atmosphere with Churchill-esque "Fight them on the beaches" motivational speeches.

Dwummers - Better than iwwitating bwass instruments, fwee tickets.

Kane - Needs a few loan spells away from pwemier league to get a bit of confidence.

Walker - Ha,ha,ha, did I weally? Ha, ha ha.

Townshend - Injured? Definite starter.

Mason - See Walker.

I'd rather Roy played the KP crowd against San Marino, we would be assured of some proper crowd atmosphere. Prefer that Vardy isn't playing for this one, injury risk. It's a good game to try a couple of "newbies"

I'd rather Roy played the KP crowd against San Marino, we would be assured of some proper crowd atmosphere. Prefer that Vardy isn't playing for this one, injury risk. It's a good game to try a couple of "newbies"

Yeah, as opposed to established starters like Vardy

I'd love an England manager to pick a squad based solely on current form. The teams would be considerably different to those we see now.

Rooney will undoubtably start, as will Kane if he plays two strikers. For years, players are first chosen by reputation and the squad then 'filled in' with players that are currently playing well.

Vardy's in a good position, in theory, though. Paired with Rooney playing as a more creative number 10 would work, as would playing alongside Kane, with Kane as a target man. He certainly falls in the 'options' category. Whether Roy will see it that way will remain to be seen though.

I'd love an England manager to pick a squad based solely on current form. The teams would be considerably different to those we see now.

Rooney will undoubtably start, as will Kane if he plays two strikers. For years, players are first chosen by reputation and the squad then 'filled in' with players that are currently playing well.

Vardy's in a good position, in theory, though. Paired with Rooney playing as a more creative number 10 would work, as would playing alongside Kane, with Kane as a target man. He certainly falls in the 'options' category. Whether Roy will see it that way will remain to be seen though.

reason being if you lose when picking them you get stick if you lose and don't pick them your career will be over, blame the press for consistently overrating out players

Don't agree with the criticism of Rooney. He's very isolated at Manchester United at the minute, up front alone. Most players would struggle.

that doesn't address the fact he has 1 tournament goal since 2004, whilst he maybe the best we have talent wise if he doesn't produce why should his place be guaranteed?

The complete player? Compare him to Suarez and tell me he's the complete player.

Sorry to jump in here. However I think of the two Rooney has a much better range of passing. Obviously Suarez is the better striker though.

Vardy to start for England?

Just curious as to what the general consensus is on this. Looking at the strikers situation for England at the moment, I would imagine there is a good chance. Sturridge, Welbeck, Ings are all injured. Kane is off form, Berahino has his mind elsewhere at the moment, Austin is playing against inferior opposition and Lambert is getting on. Perhaps a Rooney/Vardy starting pairing?

Sorry to jump in here. However I think of the two Rooney has a much better range of passing. Obviously Suarez is the better striker though.

No need to apologise for that :D In fairness I do actually agree with that, but I think Suarez beats him as a striker in just about everything else.

The complete player? Compare him to Suarez and tell me he's the complete player.

Don't get me wrong, Suarez is a better player than Rooney as are many other strikers such as Aguero, Benzema, Lewandowski, Costa...etc. Rooney has it all but he isn't at the same level as all of these at their best attributes. In cricket terms, he is an all rounder. Probably one of the best all rounded footballers in the world, but I'm not implying he is anywhere near the best footballers in the world. 

You've highlighted my issue really. People talk about him for man utd where he's usually pretty bloody good. For one reason or other though as many have also failed, he doesn't repeat this form for England in tournaments. When he's poor he's shocking and to me its a position on the field wasted.

Whoever has tried to evolve him into some all round great instead of a shit hot striker playing off the last man has made a major balls up for England

You're right. 2 goals in 12 games since 2004 isn't good. He hasn't transformed his club form into tournaments. But name me any England players in the same era that have done so apart from Ashley Cole. Lampard, Gerrard and even Scholes have not been able to transfer their club form. Problem is that the English domestic sides are far superior to the International side. All of these players have proven themselves at their clubs where they feed off and link with better players. That's what Rooney has done in his career and it's no coincidence that his form has dipped with the demise of Man united. 

Cristiano Ronaldo equally has a poor record at international tournaments mainly due to the same reason. Football is a team game and it is about time we put criticism on the whole team and not just one individual.  

Archived