Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Benguin

The 'teams that can't catch us' thread

1. Villa

2. Newcastle

3. Sunderland

4. Norwich

5. Swansea

6. Palace

7. Bournemouth

8. West Brom

9. Everton

10. Chelsea

11. Watford

12. Stoke

13. Southampton

14. West Ham

15. Liverpool

16. Man United

4th place and champions league guaranteed

We can add Man City next weekend if we better their result

We can add Arsenal next weekend if we win and they lose

Then it is just Spurs

Can't see Crystal Palace winning at the Emirates in a month of Sundays.

Chelsea against Man City will be a close one, but a draw will be good enough as long as we take all three points against West Ham.

A win for us and anything less than 3 points for Man City at Stamford Bridge means there'll be a 17 point gap with only 15 left for City to play for.

That would mean a definite top three finish, as we  couldn't fall any lower than third.

What a position to be in! Top 4 (3 in reality) guaranteed even if we lose all of our remaining games!

I would say there is no pressure, but the pressure comes from being on the brink of history and knowing this is likely to be our only chance to win it we'll be getting.

And we've shown we can, and will, handle it  :scarf:

• 2 weeks later...

Time to add Manchester City?  They can't exceed our current total (73), so could only overhaul us if we lost four matches in a row.

... Hence they could catch us. But you're kind of right as that scenario means Arsenal cannot catch us. And vice versa if Arsenal win all their remaining games.

Congrats on the top 3 finish and guaranteed Champions League football...awesome achievement all things considered and a remarkable story in football terms. Beg, borrow or steal a ticket for your Champions League away fixtures...the home games will be brilliant for the atmosphere you create alone, but the away days are superb, especially the build up on the day in places like Milan, Rome, Madrid, Munich etc. You'll have some fantastic experiences and stories on here no doubt....one thing is for sure, no European team will be looking forward to coming to the KP stadium if you play like this again next season. Good luck.

Congrats on the top 3 finish and guaranteed Champions League football...awesome achievement all things considered and a remarkable story in football terms. Beg, borrow or steal a ticket for your Champions League away fixtures...the home games will be brilliant for the atmosphere you create alone, but the away days are superb, especially the build up on the day in places like Milan, Rome, Madrid, Munich etc. You'll have some fantastic experiences and stories on here no doubt....one thing is for sure, no European team will be looking forward to coming to the KP stadium if you play like this again next season. Good luck.

Coming on here, with your congratulations........

Only kidding, it is in itself an amazing achievement and I still can't see the top 2 being anything other than Leicester and Spurs. So for both clubs it is a great season, for us I guess the let down would be having been top since Jan, losing it now will feel painful, I guess for spurs, finally finishing above the top clubs and your neighbours to only finish runners up, is not ideal either.

gonna be a tough 4 weekends for all involved.

Can't you tell us we're a tinpot horrible club who will fail next season, that we've fluked being top etc. It's disconcerting having a Spurs fan seem genuinely nice. :D

Can't you tell us we're a tinpot horrible club who will fail next season, that we've fluked being top etc. It's disconcerting having a Spurs fan seem genuinely nice. :D

I wouldn't begrudge them beating Newcastle 4-0 on the final day now, providing they lose their next three obviously. How moving.

Coming on here, with your congratulations........

Only kidding, it is in itself an amazing achievement and I still can't see the top 2 being anything other than Leicester and Spurs. So for both clubs it is a great season, for us I guess the let down would be having been top since Jan, losing it now will feel painful, I guess for spurs, finally finishing above the top clubs and your neighbours to only finish runners up, is not ideal either.

gonna be a tough 4 weekends for all involved.

Mate it's been a great season for us, as for you whatever happens next and if we end up finishing second to you this season, that would be no disgrace at all and it shouldn't be for any other club either. There are plenty of Spurs fans including STH's that continually predict doom and gloom...to be honest I don't know why they bother going. Our football this year and especially recently has been a joy to watch and the young squad with a significant English core should see us well for the short term future. We have a new 61,000 Stadium already being built, so there's a lot to look forward to. Finishing above Arsenal for the first time in christ knows how long would be my first target...if we were to catch you that would be the cherry, on the icing, on the cake....although I think we may end up without the cherry.

Mate it's been a great season for us, as for you whatever happens next and if we end up finishing second to you this season, that would be no disgrace at all and it shouldn't be for any other club either. There are plenty of Spurs fans including STH's that continually predict doom and gloom...to be honest I don't know why they bother going. Our football this year and especially recently has been a joy to watch and the young squad with a significant English core should see us well for the short term future. We have a new 61,000 Stadium already being built, so there's a lot to look forward to. Finishing above Arsenal for the first time in christ knows how long would be my first target...if we were to catch you that would be the cherry, on the icing, on the cake....although I think we may end up without the cherry.

I think for both clubs there are reasons to be cheerful going forward, we have proved that with a great team spirit, workrate and some decent scouting the domination of the big cubs can be cracked, make the CL group phase gives our players an extra reason to stay, makes us a decent option for signing players next season.

Spurs are very similar, but i guess with the added bonus of being in London, which we know appeals to those with serious wedge to spend on a daily basis. Again if you can hang on to the Loris, Alli, Kane, Erikson etc, you have the makings of a really good squad going forward, add to it and I can see spurs joining the man city and chelsea etc in making this league more than just a top 4.

I hate to say it as I really hope this sets up a decent era for our club, in which we can challenge for top 6 over a few years, maybe pick up an elusive FA Cup, but this maybe our one real shot at the title, spurs I'm sure may have a few more chances than us in the next 10 or 15 years.

I think for both clubs there are reasons to be cheerful going forward, we have proved that with a great team spirit, workrate and some decent scouting the domination of the big cubs can be cracked, make the CL group phase gives our players an extra reason to stay, makes us a decent option for signing players next season.

Spurs are very similar, but i guess with the added bonus of being in London, which we know appeals to those with serious wedge to spend on a daily basis. Again if you can hang on to the Loris, Alli, Kane, Erikson etc, you have the makings of a really good squad going forward, add to it and I can see spurs joining the man city and chelsea etc in making this league more than just a top 4.

I hate to say it as I really hope this sets up a decent era for our club, in which we can challenge for top 6 over a few years, maybe pick up an elusive FA Cup, but this maybe our one real shot at the title, spurs I'm sure may have a few more chances than us in the next 10 or 15 years.

Having a great scouting team and/or Academy is one of the keys going forward in my view. Chelsea and City and in recent times United (before LvG decided to trust their youth) have all bought, for huge sums that neither Spurs or Leicester could afford, so called 'finished article' players....well for United Di Maria, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Mata, Memphis etc. etc haven't worked out too well. Chelsea let De Bruyne, Sturridge, Lukaku, Schurrle and others all go and what has happened to the likes of Raheem Sterling all of sudden, amongst other big buys at City, like Bony, Negredo.... Pep has his work cut out in his first year next season in my view, it will be Liverpool posing the greatest threat, Klopp is very good and with his own players potentially a title winner.

As far as I know Leicester have a very good scouting set up (as have Spurs, we also have the benefit of investing in a world class training facility) and as you say will likely now attract even better players. The Champions League will swell both our coffers by about £30m across the board and have a knock on effect in better sponsorship, kit etc. negotiations, so you will be able to afford to pay them likely increased demand for better wages.

If you can recruit well and mix in some good youth - like Chilwell and others, I hope you stay up at the top of the table, hopefully with us. It gives me enormous pleasure that the moneyball clubs like City and Chelsea in particular...and to some extent United have struggled this year in spite of spending millions of pounds. I appreciate that Spurs are also relatively wealthy, which is why our achievement's this year are relatively not as great as yours....but in the long term, with the right attitude and clever player acquisitions, I see no reason why this shifting of the traditional top 4 can't be sustained....and that's not even factoring in the new TV money. The only club I would have liked to see do better this year is Everton. Maybe Martinez has been found out, not sure....hats off also to Bournemouth, great season and also Watford, whilst I feel sorry for Villa's fans. The way that club has been run is a disgrace.

Having a great scouting team and/or Academy is one of the keys going forward in my view. Chelsea and City and in recent times United (before LvG decided to trust their youth) have all bought, for huge sums that neither Spurs or Leicester could afford, so called 'finished article' players....well for United Di Maria, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Mata, Memphis etc. etc haven't worked out too well. Chelsea let De Bruyne, Sturridge, Lukaku, Schurrle and others all go and what has happened to the likes of Raheem Sterling all of sudden, amongst other big buys at City, like Bony, Negredo.... Pep has his work cut out in his first year next season in my view, it will be Liverpool posing the greatest threat, Klopp is very good and with his own players potentially a title winner.

As far as I know Leicester have a very good scouting set up (as have Spurs, we also have the benefit of investing in a world class training facility) and as you say will likely now attract even better players. The Champions League will swell both our coffers by about £30m across the board and have a knock on effect in better sponsorship, kit etc. negotiations, so you will be able to afford to pay them likely increased demand for better wages.

If you can recruit well and mix in some good youth - like Chilwell and others, I hope you stay up at the top of the table, hopefully with us. It gives me enormous pleasure that the moneyball clubs like City and Chelsea in particular...and to some extent United have struggled this year in spite of spending millions of pounds. I appreciate that Spurs are also relatively wealthy, which is why our achievement's this year are relatively not as great as yours....but in the long term, with the right attitude and clever player acquisitions, I see no reason why this shifting of the traditional top 4 can't be sustained....and that's not even factoring in the new TV money. The only club I would have liked to see do better this year is Everton. Maybe Martinez has been found out, not sure....hats off also to Bournemouth, great season and also Watford, whilst I feel sorry for Villa's fans. The way that club has been run is a disgrace.

All great points, Villa however have been badly run for a number of years, it's been coming, a bit like our relegation to L1.

West Ham, Watford and Bournemouth would have been the headlines if it wasn't for our 2 clubs.

As for Everton, I think martinez has been found out, if you take our 2 teams as examples, how can a side with, Baines,Coleman, Stones, Barkley, Lukaku, 3 reasonable wide men, not be challenging, they must be doing something wrong.

All great points, Villa however have been badly run for a number of years, it's been coming, a bit like our relegation to L1.

West Ham, Watford and Bournemouth would have been the headlines if it wasn't for our 2 clubs.

As for Everton, I think martinez has been found out, if you take our 2 teams as examples, how can a side with, Baines,Coleman, Stones, Barkley, Lukaku, 3 reasonable wide men, not be challenging, they must be doing something wrong.

Yeah Everton are a weird one.....it wouldn't surprise me if they lose several of their 'star' players this Summer, they have no money or an opportunity to generate very much, all their revenue goes on player salary salaries and they only have 8 corporate boxes (I think). The new owners will help but it looks like a rocky road ahead for them. The other weird thing with them is that despite losing 10 games this season they have only lost 2 away from home....They'll be focussing on the FA Cup to save their season, but you'll still need to be careful against them....especially if martinez looks like losing his job, their players might be playing for a shop window type move in the summer. We drew both matches.

Mate it's been a great season for us, as for you whatever happens next and if we end up finishing second to you this season, that would be no disgrace at all and it shouldn't be for any other club either.

No disgrace at all?

Leicester champions of England? If I was Arsenal, Man City, United, Spurs or Liverpool, I'd stab myself in the arse with a sausage! What an embarrassment it would be for them.

No disgrace at all?

Leicester champions of England? If I was Arsenal, Man City, United, Spurs or Liverpool, I'd stab myself in the arse with a sausage! What an embarrassment it would be for them.

Well that's your problem..denigrating the team that you support? Personally I don't feel embarrassed to be currently second behind the team that deserves to be top.

No disgrace at all?

It isn't August any more.

I think people can see that we're quite clearly top on merit and that we're a bloody good side.

Having a great scouting team and/or Academy is one of the keys going forward in my view.

I mean, Spurs poached Rob MacKenzie to lead your technical scouting, so the scouting ethos of our two clubs are very similar. Makes sense.

Archived