Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pinkman

Depression

30 minutes ago, DanNDH88 said:

Does anyone else ever get worried when they feel happy for a period of time? 

Seems like every time i’m feeling good I have a horrible feeling somethings about to go wrong. Always seems to be 1-2 weeks of smooth sailing and then I’m back hoping I don’t wake up. 

That horrible feeling comes from a thought that something is about to go wrong. 

I often have thoughts that scare me and make me feel horrible, but that doesn't mean those thoughts are real or true or will happen. I've just learnt over the years to dismiss them as BS thoughts.

We have to learn that our thoughts are not always to be trusted - they're just thoughts, not our reality.

Whenever you feel yourself getting worried, just notice what you're thinking at the time. And then notice how you're probably making shit up bad or catastrophising about stuff that will never happen. 

It doesn't have to be like that. We can equally 'make it up good' by paying attention to our positive and empowering thoughts instead. 

We are "living in the feeling of our thinking" - 100% of the time

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Izzy said:

That horrible feeling comes from a thought that something is about to go wrong. 

I often have thoughts that scare me and make me feel horrible, but that doesn't mean those thoughts are real or true or will happen. I've just learnt over the years to dismiss them as BS thoughts.

We have to learn that our thoughts are not always to be trusted - they're just thoughts, not our reality.

Whenever you feel yourself getting worried, just notice what you're thinking at the time. And then notice how you're probably making shit up bad or catastrophising about stuff that will never happen. 

It doesn't have to be like that. We can equally 'make it up good' by paying attention to our positive and empowering thoughts instead. 

We are "living in the feeling of our thinking" - 100% of the time

Wish I could do as you say. Of course it's correct but easier said than done.

40 minutes ago, pds said:

Wish I could do as you say. Of course it's correct but easier said than done.

If anything, it's really about doing nothing mate.

All the doing (thinking) is what worries us and can make us anxious. We can get ourselves in a mess because we start thinking about our thinking. All the "What if...?" scenarios me make up in our head can lead us to catastrohising about stuff that will probably never happen.

I suppose it's really about awareness of our thoughts and knowing which ones to pay conscious attention to. When we focus on our negative thoughts we feel shit and when we focus on our positive thoughts we feel good. It's that simple really.

Here's a great book I read that describes it much better than I can

Image result for do nothing damian mark smyth

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

If anything, it's really about doing nothing mate.

All the doing (thinking) is what worries us and can make us anxious. We can get ourselves in a mess because we start thinking about our thinking. All the "What if...?" scenarios me make up in our head can lead us to catastrohising about stuff that will probably never happen.

I suppose it's really about awareness of our thoughts and knowing which ones to pay conscious attention to. When we focus on our negative thoughts we feel shit and when we focus on our positive thoughts we feel good. It's that simple really.

Here's a great book I read that describes it much better than I can

Image result for do nothing damian mark smyth

Appreciate the response. My constant worrying is crippling to the point I literally do nothing. Don't watch TV as can't focus etc, don't plan anything as what's the point when I know I will feel like this. The only time I seem to switch off for any period of time is at City matches!

8 minutes ago, pds said:

Appreciate the response. My constant worrying is crippling to the point I literally do nothing. Don't watch TV as can't focus etc, don't plan anything as what's the point when I know I will feel like this. The only time I seem to switch off for any period of time is at City matches!

Have you sought help?

8 minutes ago, pds said:

I hear ya mate. 

Notice that you 'switch off' at matches because you're focused (paying attention) to the game, and there's no room for all the shit thinking and worrying to get in.

Have you looked into Mindfulness at all? or Yoga or meditation?

Anything to calm your thoughts and return you to your natural state of calmness, clarity and well-being can help.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Success - packed to the rafters, played well and very positive reception.

Congratulations, Peaky. :thumbup:

Now, where do we order the CD?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Success - packed to the rafters, played well and very positive reception.

That’s great news mate, well chuffed for you :appl:

Let us know when you publish the UK tour dates :thumbup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Strokes said:

Congratulations mate, I’m sure it’s a feeling that can’t be rivalled?

That's difficult to quantify, mate, only because everyone reacts to performance differently. 

Funnily, my family asked me today how I felt, and I said it was actually similar to how I felt after Chelsea had held Spurs and the title was finally won - something that had been building and building and in a trice it was done, and in one sense nothing had changed, and yet in other ways things would never be the same again as a result - but that wisdom has only come with the passing of time.

The analogy fails on many fronts, obviously, but the massive boost to my self belief and onward career are as yet unknown - I'm currently delighted but absolutely exhausted. However, the boost to my bank balance is undeniable and timely! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

That's difficult to quantify, mate, only because everyone reacts to performance differently. 

Funnily, my family asked me today how I felt, and I said it was actually similar to how I felt after Chelsea had held Spurs and the title was finally won - something that had been building and building and in a trice it was done, and in one sense nothing had changed, and yet in other ways things would never be the same again as a result - but that wisdom has only come with the passing of time.

The analogy fails on many fronts, obviously, but the massive boost to my self belief and onward career are as yet unknown - I'm currently delighted but absolutely exhausted. However, the boost to my bank balance is undeniable and timely! 

Well good on you, it’s nice to see a success story in here and I hope it continues for you.

Edited by Strokes
  • Thanks 1

On 02/05/2019 at 13:51, Buce said:

It's probably more common than you think, mate.

Life is cyclical and it's as important to learn to enjoy the good times as it is to cope with the bad times.

Shit did hit the fan in the end, lost my job and to make matters worse I’ve got to leave my place at the end of the month. 

Surprisingly feeling OK as keeping myself busy but can’t see that lasting for long, but who knows. 

Anyone ever seem to feel really motivated and pumped to make positive changes to their life after gaining a source of inspiration? Then the next day something happens which completely derails those plans that you feel demotivated to even try again :(

That's been a viscious cycle this year. I feel like I just need to say f*** it and go for it no second thoughts. But it's really hard to block it out

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TK95 said:

Anyone ever seem to feel really motivated and pumped to make positive changes to their life after gaining a source of inspiration? Then the next day something happens which completely derails those plans that you feel demotivated to even try again :(

That's been a viscious cycle this year. I feel like I just need to say f*** it and go for it no second thoughts. But it's really hard to block it out

Totally understandable.  When we experience one bad event after another it wears our resistance down so that eventually even a small setback can feel massive.  None of us have an inexhaustible supply of drive and energy so what you're feeling is natural.

It takes several positive experiences to overcome a negative one, and the further we're down the more it seems to take.  But the negatives can still be beaten and in most cases there are better times ahead that are worth going for.  The trick is to recognise that and not become overwhelmed by the setbacks.  Hope you're feeling better today.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DanNDH88 said:

Shit did hit the fan in the end, lost my job and to make matters worse I’ve got to leave my place at the end of the month. 

Surprisingly feeling OK as keeping myself busy but can’t see that lasting for long, but who knows. 

Not to trivialise things but, to an extent, you're in control of that; losing a job can be viewed as a bad thing or it can be viewed as an opportunity. What's your skill set?

6 hours ago, Buce said:

Not to trivialise things but, to an extent, you're in control of that; losing a job can be viewed as a bad thing or it can be viewed as an opportunity. What's your skill set?

Content writing and social media mainly.

6 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Just ‘meh’ at the minute. Not really feeling at all bad I just can’t be bothered with anything. Totally lethargic 

Are you on anti-depressants mate?

What you're describing is pretty much how I felt for months when I was on them...

20 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

On Fluoxetine. Meh!

Yep, that’s exactly what I was on.

Eventually weaned myself off them and felt like my old self again (highs and lows) within a few weeks. 

Luckily therapy finally did the trick for me without the need for more meds.

13 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Eventually weaned myself off them and felt like my old self again (highs and lows) within a few weeks. 

This is a real issue with the NHS.

Mental health just doesn't attract enough funding to provide effective and intensive treatment, so they just pump you full of chemicals instead.

It's just a pharmaceutical sticking plaster.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

On Fluoxetine. Meh!

If they are not working for you, soeak to your gp. I changed around a few times until i got paroxetine which work for me.

Think its just horses for courses although my mum and bro have both had fluoxetine for years and it works for them.

Dont think i tried them but know i tried a few.

On 09/05/2019 at 10:06, Izzy said:

On 09/05/2019 at 12:57, gw_leics772 said:

If they are not working for you, soeak to your gp. I changed around a few times until i got paroxetine which work for me.

Think its just horses for courses although my mum and bro have both had fluoxetine for years and it works for them.

Dont think i tried them but know i tried a few.

I’ve only been on them for a month so I’m just getting used to them methinks. Was on Shitalapram before and they were no good whatsoever. 

Had my second therapy session the other day, slow going.