Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pinkman

Depression

5 hours ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Just got back from a funeral sadly the depression demons got a grip with my pal, but he hid very well.

Great life, friends and well supported.

If he'd had the opportunity to look from the outside and see and realize the affection generally he'd still be here.

Often its a case of 'that'll show them' but it can't be undone

This is the cruel truth. I'm assuming that your friend could not find a way out and so ended things? One can only imagine how desperate and isolated you have to feel to feel like this is the "best" option. 

Very sorry to hear this mate.

34 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Mate that's terrible news, I'm really sorry to hear it.  What you've said about hiding it well is something I'm ashamed to say I identify far too well with.  In reality it may well be a case of being fine one day then being gone (or at least thinking about it) the next.  I'm sorry this is about to get a bit rambly but I've walked down that road too many times and it's one of my greatest fears that one day I'll slip so far into that train of thought that I lose the presence of mind to tell myself that whatever I'm reacting to is just a bad moment in time and not the representation of how things are, have been and always will be that my brain's telling me it is.  For once this isn't me asking for help but sharing a very recent event which showcases how even the most mundane things can lead to depressive swings and how important it is to remember that that's all it is, a swing, you'll rise back out of it:

So literally last night I had to have this wrestling match inside my head once again, this time over a dispute with a 'friend' (let's call them MC, for massive cvnt) I only recently moved in with, the outcome being that MC was saying I had to move out of because of my attitude... This led to me seriously questioning my ability to ever fit in anywhere because from my perspective I'd simply reacted negatively to MC's selfish behaviour (it was a final straw moment: I will happily acknowledge that I was reacting to a relatively minor thing - MC had done laundry the previous night and I'd asked them to tell me when the machine was free so I could use it, they didn't and by the time I realised it was too late in the evening so I left my bag of clothes in front of the machine for when I got home from work the following day only to come home and find that MC had pushed my bag aside and put another load on and it really irked me that they'd decided that wanting more clean clothes was more important than me needing any clean clothes - but it was one minor thing too many for me on top of lots of previous relatively minor displays of inconsiderate behaviour committed on a nigh-daily basis) with a brief outburst of anger which at the time I thought I'd been relatively restrained in exerting (basically I drop kicked a 2L bottle of water very hard against the wall and some cabinets a few times and let out some choice language not thinking anybody was near enough to hear it) followed by creating a house whatsapp group to send everyone what I believed to be a reasonable and diplomatic message about the problem hoping to prevent similar issues in the future (I don't trust myself to have these conversations in person while I'm still so heated so I find messaging services are a god send because they allow you the time to think more carefully about how you express your thoughts, something utterly invaluable when you're deep in the red mist), on top of that I didn't put as much care into being quiet as I got ready for work in the early hours the next morning because I was fuming about having to wear a dirty work shirt.  It was MC's day off (I didn't know that at the time) and apparently I woke them up.  This led to being told by MC that I'd behaved so outrageously and that my messages were so passive aggressive (possibly true that bit, I'm not best positioned to judge) that I merited being kicked out which led to me doubting my own perception of events and basic human interaction because this is really the only time I've acted out and surely MC could see that it was in direct response to a display of inconsideration and disrespect on their part but here I am being told I've broken the last straw, not them, so once again the old spiral downwards took hold and pretty quickly at that.  Throughout the next day I continued to go over the issue with increasing levels of self-doubt up until last night where I began seriously thinking about being an idiot because I'd convinced myself that maybe MC was right and I really was the only one at fault and maybe every time somebody else is a problem in my opinion it's only because I have such a skewed perspective on things that it's functionally impossible for somebody like me to engage in human society. 

This afternoon though, after a few more exchanges of words with MC and the unsolicited offer of a place to stay from other friends who'd been told about it by the one person I'd confided all this to I suddenly find myself feeling incredibly zen again, almost like a light switch has been flicked because:

A.) It's become apparent that I was justified in my anger and I really had been restrained enough in venting it as (as in I didn't go nuclear and give them an inarguable reason to kick me out) because today MC went on to further bolster their demand that I move out by saying that the house is "overcrowded".  Fortunately for my rapidly unravelling sanity this was a big slip up on their part because I tend to keep to myself and I'm anally retentive about never disturbing other people's things or leaving any mess behind me in the common areas (in fact their capacity for this was one of the many contributions to my outburst) so not even I have enough self-doubt to believe that this could be an accusation fairly levelled at me since there's barely ever any sign of my presence in the house save for some clean dishes in the drainer or my clothes hung up to dry on the airer.  Menacing, I know.  It was after I rather confidently pointed this out that MC made a comment about how before I moved in they used to be able to use my room as their 'corner' and this is it.  This is the crux of the matter.  The real motive here, the reason why I'd been started on this journey of questioning what is real is because MC just want to have my room for themselves again so basically they'd opportunistically and manipulatively seized upon my first properly controversial moment since moving in (again though, a moment caused by MC's behaviour) to fabricate an excuse to kick me out without seeming unreasonable.  Pathetically, my capacity for self-doubt nearly led to me believing they were right and seriously considering being a massive idiot over it.  It's because of this that I'm taking the other friends up on their offer of a place to crash because that's just fvcking evil and no way am I going to persist with living in a house with a monster like that who puts having an extra room that they don't really need (the reason I was offered it by another housemate in the first place) over somebody else's need to have a room full stop.   But I'm making sure the dude who offered me the place knows exactly what the reality of the situation is before I go because they were out of town during this (presumably another reason why MC chose to enact their plan now) and have been told a very different tale.  I guess reading this some of you are thinking "why not just tell the others and kick MC out?"  Unfortunately MC is the girlfriend of the dude who suggested I move in and the only other person in the house is her equally self-centred sister so although that would be the obvious and fair solution to such heinous behaviour in most circumstances, it's not exactly realistic in this one lol 

B.) Clearly some people genuinely care about me if they'd offer me a place so quickly and without me even telling them about the event.  In the words of the woefully underappreciated Jeff Rosenstock, they wouldn't be your friend if you weren't worth something (ok that's not how the lyrics are intended in the song's context but I think it's a fitting phrase).  So yeah, I suddenly feel great again and have absolute clarity that I'm not the problem here and that's exactly why if any of you are ever doubting your own worth because of what somebody else is saying/doing try to take a step back, isolate yourself from any possible confrontation and have a word with somebody who you can trust (this time around it was an irl friend but I've not always had somebody I'm comfortable bringing my problems to so previously it's been this very thread which is why I'm telling you all this because Izzy's right about paying it forwards, maybe somebody else can learn a valuable lesson from my little escapade over basically nothing).

Peace to you all :) 

Living in close proximity to people can be very stressful. I find difficulties living in a house with my wife and kids so relative "strangers" must be very tricky to balance, particularly if there is selfish behavior on their part. You say it is trivial things but it is hard when people don't "play the game" when everyone is expected to contribute and compromise in living arrangements.

If you ever want to live in a madhouse with two kids and two dogs mate then we do have a spare room...

I enjoy your posts on here mate, you're an intelligent guy and clearly a decent chap. You don't need people like "MC" in your life!

I have been reading this thread with interest over the last week. I have been suffering with bouts of feeling down for the last 12-18 months since a few family issues affected me deeper than I thought at the time and am currently sitting in a Doctor’s surgery to try and get some sort of therapy started. I don’t know why I feel like I do but it just seems to me that no one cares or would give a shit if I died tomorrow. Logically I know that isn’t the case, I have a loving wife and kids, sorted financially, am healthy and have some good friends and people around me. I have always been the person others have gone to and find myself deliberately cutting people off who could help as I don’t want them to see me in another light and tell myself that they are not concerned with my problems. I haven’t a clue what the future has in store, I really don’t know how to help myself or where to start but my wife booked me into the docs, so here I am in the waiting room on the verge of tears, again.

I don’t expect anyone to respond but bizarrely just writing this down for a group of strangers is fairly cathartic.

3 hours ago, TaggertvsWise said:

I have been reading this thread with interest over the last week. I have been suffering with bouts of feeling down for the last 12-18 months since a few family issues affected me deeper than I thought at the time and am currently sitting in a Doctor’s surgery to try and get some sort of therapy started. I don’t know why I feel like I do but it just seems to me that no one cares or would give a shit if I died tomorrow. Logically I know that isn’t the case, I have a loving wife and kids, sorted financially, am healthy and have some good friends and people around me. I have always been the person others have gone to and find myself deliberately cutting people off who could help as I don’t want them to see me in another light and tell myself that they are not concerned with my problems. I haven’t a clue what the future has in store, I really don’t know how to help myself or where to start but my wife booked me into the docs, so here I am in the waiting room on the verge of tears, again.

I don’t expect anyone to respond but bizarrely just writing this down for a group of strangers is fairly cathartic.

There are all sorts of reasons for depression, mate - sometimes it's reactive, sometimes it's brain chemistry out of balance - but whatever the cause, the symptoms present the same. The really important thing to remember is that feelings of worthlessness, hopelessness, lack of self-esteem and all the other unpleasant negative emotions that you may be feeling, are the ways that the illness presents itself. None of those things are true, you are just unwell. You have done absolutely the right thing in seeking help from your GP because even though you might not believe it at the moment, depression is treatable. You will get better.

As regards posting on here, many posters have found it easier to speak out to we strangers than to our nearest and dearest, and many have found it beneficial, so if you think it helps, we're all here for you.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TaggertvsWise said:

glad it helped a little and good on you for takingsteps, you/we all deserve to live the best life we can.

I hope things move forward for you :)

2 hours ago, TaggertvsWise said:

Depression is an illness.  When I was diagnosed I was in a similar situation to you - married, stable home life, couple of lovely children.  When you become depressed there are physiological changes.  These can make you feel down or just prevent you from experience happiness as you should.  This situation has to be sorted before you can recover so seeing your GP and getting necessary medication to restore your body to its norm is an essential first step.  And don't beat yourself up because you feel the way you do - we can all get ill.

Please let us know how you get on after seeing your GP.  There are many ways to try to overcome depression and a load of people on this thread who will try to help.

First of all thank you to all the positive voices. It’s been hard to listen to others try to help and be positive I think it is because emotions are involved with other people and it makes opening up hard. 

I had had a good session with my GP who gently picked through the rubble of my mind and got me to open up about some underlying issues that have been sneaking about in the dark of my mind. 

Long story short is she thinks I have done the right think by addressing it before any physiological damage is done, she believes it can be overcome by talking so has given me the number of a counselling service that I can talk to and also recommended some regular small steps such as mindfulness apps to address day to day anxiety.

I did feel much lighter when I left and after a good gym session attended one of my kids’ parties and felt an easier connection with people and not so reclusive.

I think there will be dark times ahead as I have had a fairly sheltered day but hopefully with these few new building blocks in place I have acquired in the last 24 hours I’ll be able to cope more.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Those that have said therapy worked well, were you also on medication?

I had therapy about 6 months after coming off medication mate.

For me, the meds made me 'zombie like' and just numbed the psychological pain for a while. I never truly felt like myself on anti-depressants and they didn't cure the root cause of why I felt depressed.

I'm not 'anti' meds at all and I know people who've benefited from them, but I can't imagine I'd have had much success with therapy if I was on them at the time.

For the therapy to work for me, I needed to be emotionally vulnerable and open to explore my dark side. If I'd have been on meds then, I don't think I'd have had the same insights, awareness or connection with my therapist.

But that's just me...

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

I had therapy about 6 months after coming off medication mate.

For me, the meds made me 'zombie like' and just numbed the psychological pain for a while. I never truly felt like myself on anti-depressants and they didn't cure the root cause of why I felt depressed.

I'm not 'anti' meds at all and I know people who've benefited from them, but I can't imagine I'd have had much success with therapy if I was on them at the time.

For the therapy to work for me, I needed to be emotionally vulnerable and open to explore my dark side. If I'd have been on meds then, I don't think I'd have had the same insights, awareness or connection with my therapist.

But that's just me...

Thanks, that’s reassuring. I got a little bit worried after reading about drs saying taking meds to stop permanent damage.

On 05/10/2018 at 00:21, Kopfkino said:

Good news though that I have an initial consultation with a therapist on Tuesday. Just speaking to the counsellors they have at uni a couple of times have been really useful. So nice to have people that help you spot your thought patterns and connect dots you could never do on your own. Have been to them previously and when they spoke to me and looked over my notes from last time they stressed the importance for me to get something long-term. He suggested probably as much as once a week for 2 years. Hopefully I'll get on with the therapist and be able to work with her for an extended period, and hopefully its worth the money. But that's a long term thing and right now I wish there was some short term relief to stop me going manic.

No further forward. 

Health anxiety is ****ing shit, nobody seems to know how to combat it specifically. 

Hate this shit all the ****ing time. 

As you were. 

Edited by Kopfkino
Condensed it

9 hours ago, TaggertvsWise said:

First of all thank you to all the positive voices. It’s been hard to listen to others try to help and be positive I think it is because emotions are involved with other people and it makes opening up hard. 

I had had a good session with my GP who gently picked through the rubble of my mind and got me to open up about some underlying issues that have been sneaking about in the dark of my mind. 

Long story short is she thinks I have done the right think by addressing it before any physiological damage is done, she believes it can be overcome by talking so has given me the number of a counselling service that I can talk to and also recommended some regular small steps such as mindfulness apps to address day to day anxiety.

I did feel much lighter when I left and after a good gym session attended one of my kids’ parties and felt an easier connection with people and not so reclusive.

I think there will be dark times ahead as I have had a fairly sheltered day but hopefully with these few new building blocks in place I have acquired in the last 24 hours I’ll be able to cope more.

Your GP sounds like an absolute gem. Mindfulness is great and can be practiced anywhere. The dark days will happen but it's how you respond to them which will help you in the long term!

Good luck! 

10 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Thanks, that’s reassuring. I got a little bit worried after reading about drs saying taking meds to stop permanent damage.

I found that statement rather confusing tbh, mate. At first reading, I saw it as psychological damage but on closer inspection, it says physiological damage. It's not clear whether that was a typo or not (perhaps @TaggertvsWise could clarify it for us?) but either way, I found it an odd thing for a GP to say. I've certainly never heard of anyone permanently damaged by depression through not taking meds. Unless the GP was referring to self-harm?

Meds do have a place in treatment (sometimes); when depression has reached a particularly low point, the mind just isn't receptive to any psychological help given, and on those occasions, meds help to stabilise the illness (take off the rough edges, if you like) which then allows the counselling to be more effective. But it's perfectly normal - even commonplace - for psychological support to be given without the need for meds.

How is your partner now?

On 27/04/2019 at 21:53, Costock_Fox said:

Those that have said therapy worked well, were you also on medication?

Hell yeah, permanent medication for 20 years+ leading me to a generally happy life but with the ups and downs that come with depression, when therapy has helped massively.

The medication for me is to normalise the chemicals in my brain for everyday life.

However, life has a habit of kicking me hard in the nuts at times  and when i cant help myself, therapy is the life saver.

3 times in 25 years for therapy.