Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pinkman

Depression

30 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

Just whether people consider it a legitimate mental illness, I’ve struggled with it quite severely without anyone knowing quite how badly my entire life. Checking you’ve turned the hob off, checking the fridge door is closed, taps are off etc every time you leave the house, the list goes on lol checking the front door is locked every time I walk past it is a particularly bad one, checking alarms are set for work 10 times before I sleep and so on. I hide it from everyone, my work encourages it too, I’m an engineer and because I spend all day checking things it’s a vicious cycle, although it makes me exceptional at my job, for bad reasons.

It's listed in the DSM (the handbook for Mental Disorders) so yes it is legitimate, if it genuinely affects your functioning then it is a mental disorder and please don't ever feel embarrassed about that, David Beckham and Jonny Wilkinson are both notorious OCD sufferers and talk very well about it.  If it's part of your job then it's most likely to be ingrained in your mindset to the point where it comes naturally to you which is a pain, like you acknowledge it's a vicious cycle. The great thing with vicious cycles however is that they can be broken. You could think about counselling I guess, a good counsellor would help you to distinguish between work related checks and everyday life checks and would help you to work at having different approaches to them!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

The 'experts' would definitely consider OCD to be a mental illness, yes. My daughter has it in relation to germs and cleanliness. This is the right thread to talk about it mate and fair play for explaining how it effects your day to day life. I know it's not easy.

Have you ever been properly diagnosed by a Doctor? The 'obsessions' are unwanted or repetitive thoughts that don't go away and can lead to a lot of anxiety. They're not a reflection of your character but the symptoms of the illness. The 'compulsions' (checking you've turned the hob off, fridge door closed etc.) are the actions and behaviors meant to reduce the anxiety caused by the obsessions. 

You've probably read people on here talking about CBT and that's shown to be effective in helping people deal with OCD. People with OCD may also take anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medication so there's plenty of options out there.

If you want to address it and get it under control rather than it control you, then I'd get some professional help mate.

9 minutes ago, Lionator said:

It's listed in the DSM (the handbook for Mental Disorders) so yes it is legitimate, if it genuinely affects your functioning then it is a mental disorder and please don't ever feel embarrassed about that, David Beckham and Jonny Wilkinson are both notorious OCD sufferers and talk very well about it.  If it's part of your job then it's most likely to be ingrained in your mindset to the point where it comes naturally to you which is a pain, like you acknowledge it's a vicious cycle. The great thing with vicious cycles however is that they can be broken. You could think about counselling I guess, a good counsellor would help you to distinguish between work related checks and everyday life checks and would help you to work at having different approaches to them!

Thanks both :) I feel I have no right to discuss it with people in person. I don’t know what the word for it is but I feel as though I have no right to complain, I have a blessed life and had a wonderful childhood, it’s quite unusual. 

1 minute ago, SheppyFox said:

Thanks both :) I feel I have no right to discuss it with people in person. I don’t know what the word for it is but I feel as though I have no right to complain, I have a blessed life and had a wonderful childhood, it’s quite unusual. 

If there's a problem, there's a problem - I had therapy for years, and one of the hardest things was feeling like a fraud amongst people who'd been abused. By the end of it, they felt that in some ways what I'd had (or not had, if you prefer) was in some ways worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

You can have a blessed life and still struggle with OCD, any mental disorder as a matter of fact, it doesn't define you and it doesn't have to hold you back for it to be an issue! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SheppyFox said:

That's an interesting belief...

And it wouldn't be seen as 'complaining' at all mate. You may have the best life in the world but having OCD affects your daily routine and I'm guessing you'd rather be without it if you could? 

It's people's job's and passion to help those like you and that's what they train for and get paid to do. You're certainly not putting anybody out or inconveniencing them by asking for help.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

I presume most on here aren't doctors etc, but it still applies.

A heart-breaking but intriguing read really..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45356349

People in this sector NEED access to counselling, even if nothing is particularly negative, it helps to be able to talk somebody independently.

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

I'm struggling, I'm not gonna lie. What sucks is that you feel depressed and you feel so guilty about it because you feel you should be able to cope with things better and it just grows from there. It's a vicious cycle. 

I've been there and I can vouch for how you feel. Sometimes you have to embrace it and accept that you can't cope and then start again from the bottom. We're not robots and it's ok not to be ok, stresses in life outweigh what our brains can tolerate. Keep hanging in there, loads of people on here will be able to give you great advice if you need it! 

50 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I'm struggling, I'm not gonna lie. What sucks is that you feel depressed and you feel so guilty about it because you feel you should be able to cope with things better and it just grows from there. It's a vicious cycle. 

Sorry to hear that you're struggling Ben :(

Feeling that you 'should' be able to cope with things better is just a belief that you have and with all due respect, it's bollux mate.

We hear constant stories of celebrities and 'successful' people who 'should' have the prefect life and be able to cope with it - but they can't. Depression can hit anybody from any background and that feeling of guilt can apply to anyone from any walk of life - you're not alone.

Once you replace the guilt for self compassion and forgiveness instead, you'll start the healing process. The 'guilt' will come from your thoughts and I wonder what those thoughts are? What is it exactly that you feel guilty about? If we went to the doctors with any physical illness we wouldn't feel guilty about it and mental illness is no different.

You can break the cycle if you can understand the root cause and what the underlying issue is. Have you discussed this with a professional or your GP yet?

• Like 2

On 01/09/2018 at 21:02, SheppyFox said:

Just whether people consider it a legitimate mental illness, I’ve struggled with it quite severely without anyone knowing quite how badly my entire life. Checking you’ve turned the hob off, checking the fridge door is closed, taps are off etc every time you leave the house, the list goes on lol checking the front door is locked every time I walk past it is a particularly bad one, checking alarms are set for work 10 times before I sleep and so on. I hide it from everyone, 

Thanks, Sheppy. Didn't know I had OCD before ?

Checking you've wrote your name on the paper for the 4th time is demoralising. Think it started when I was young. I was visiting  my cousin's house and the sidewalks had those square-shaped colored patterns (red and white) and if I started on a color, I would keep on going without changing the color. It wasn't even fun so I can't say I was just a kid having a laugh. I just felt compelled. 

Edited by the fox
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Very unwell the last few days, especially tonight.

One of the problems with depression is that when you're in it you can't see a way out.  If your body has reacted to depression by slowing down the production of natural chemicals that can raise your mood (which happened to me) then you need to get meds from your GP to break the cycle.

I know it's hard but please try to remember you haven't always felt this bad and although it's horrible it doesn't have to be for life, there is a way out of depression for the vast majority of us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, the fox said:

Thanks, Sheppy. Didn't know I had OCD before ?

Checking you've wrote your name on the paper for the 4th time is demoralising. Think it started when I was young. I was visiting  my cousin's house and the sidewalks had those square-shaped colored patterns (red and white) and if I started on a color, I would keep on going without changing the color. It wasn't even fun so I can't say I was just a kid having a laugh. I just felt compelled. 

Watching my daughter suffer with OCD (the hygiene/germs type) can be pretty demoralizing.

It's got to the stage now where she won't let anybody else prepare her food so eating out is not an option for her now. She'd rather sit at the table with us in a restaurant and not eat, than let a chef make her a meal.

At home I keep making the 'mistake' of taking a spoon out of the draw and putting it on the table for her breakfast. As soon as the spoon touches the table she'll put it straight in the dishwasher as it's touched a surface (that's been dettoxed a dozen time btw). Her food has to be kept separate on her plate and if one ingredient touches another she'll bin it.

She also gets through about six packets of anti-bacteria wipes a week and is constantly cleaning surfaces, door handles etc. She also covers her toothbrush head in kitchen roll in case it falls over and touches a surface. 

The list is endless really and it's pretty frustrating watching her little routines. But she's 11 and it's the only thing in her life that she's got any control over.

All types of OCD is a bitch and I sympathise hugely with anyone who suffers from it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Every night, recently:

40592174_2082163162037171_81518092773973

Pain in the arse!

That little horror in the green star hat should be locked up but you're the only one that can do it.

Life's not plain sailing for any of us and we've all had experiences or made decisions that we later regret.  But we can't turn back the clock so however bad they were we have to live with them.

A depressed person will typically concentrate on the negatives and ignore the positives.  The key is to get some perspective.  Life can be like a sheet of white paper with a few black spots on it, realistically it's a sheet of paper that's almost totally white.  There's no reason to beat yourself up because of the dots.  Ask yourself, if you had a friend who had experienced the same highs and lows as yourself, would you castigate them for the few lows?  If the answer if no then there's no need for you to punish yourself.  Show green star hat thing the big picture and tell him to go away.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Watching my daughter suffer with OCD (the hygiene/germs type) can be pretty demoralizing.

It's got to the stage now where she won't let anybody else prepare her food so eating out is not an option for her now. She'd rather sit at the table with us in a restaurant and not eat, than let a chef make her a meal.

At home I keep making the 'mistake' of taking a spoon out of the draw and putting it on the table for her breakfast. As soon as the spoon touches the table she'll put it straight in the dishwasher as it's touched a surface (that's been dettoxed a dozen time btw). Her food has to be kept separate on her plate and if one ingredient touches another she'll bin it.

She also gets through about six packets of anti-bacteria wipes a week and is constantly cleaning surfaces, door handles etc. She also covers her toothbrush head in kitchen roll in case it falls over and touches a surface. 

The list is endless really and it's pretty frustrating watching her little routines. But she's 11 and it's the only thing in her life that she's got any control over.

All types of OCD is a bitch and I sympathise hugely with anyone who suffers from it.

Sorry to hear that mate.

My niece has it terribly and it’s now affecting everything.

Not even getting to school and she was a clever kid.

Having sessions atm.

parents hardly sleeping as she keeps thinking they are going to die in the night so won’t sleep.

She was doing fine last year and then at the end of term around Easter a teacher ( not their fault)put some film on where the kids family died unexpectedly,a week or two later/earlier my nan had died.

That was the trigger.Hit her back to square one.

Clothes on on certain orders,teeth cleaned certain way etc

Really sad,but it’s hard to understand.

• Sad 2

On 04/09/2018 at 08:31, cambridgefox said:

Sorry to hear that mate.

My niece has it terribly and it’s now affecting everything.

Not even getting to school and she was a clever kid.

Having sessions atm.

parents hardly sleeping as she keeps thinking they are going to die in the night so won’t sleep.

She was doing fine last year and then at the end of term around Easter a teacher ( not their fault)put some film on where the kids family died unexpectedly,a week or two later/earlier my nan had died.

That was the trigger.Hit her back to square one.

Clothes on on certain orders,teeth cleaned certain way etc

Really sad,but it’s hard to understand.

Very sorry to hear that, I pray she gets better soon.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, lmtiazLCFC4LIFE said:

Why was my comment deleted asking for prayers from the LCFC family because I was feeling majorly depressed, OCD, anxious and suicidal?! It's not a joke!!

43 minutes ago, lmtiazLCFC4LIFE said:

I'm still not well!...

How long have you been feeling this way? 

What's your story and history of depression, OCD & anxiety?