Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pinkman

Depression

17 hours ago, Harrydc said:

So the drinking ban I put on my self was unsuccessful , back to square one.. where to go from here .. :nono:

Its not unsuccessful, its just hit a bump...success is still an option :)

• Like 4

So the drinking ban I put on my self was unsuccessful , back to square one.. where to go from here .. :nono:

As Oz says, you were only unsuccessful this time.

Accept that you're not infallible, and go again.

• Like 2

A new day is always a fresh start, you can only change what is going to happen, not what has been. 

Give yourself a break and start again.

Edited by Strokes
  • Like 1

Guest Harrydc
2 hours ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Been to the docs and they want to up my Citalopram to 3 tabs a day rather than 2.  Not massively comfortable with that so want to look at alternatives.

Anyone used CBD?

I'm using CBD at the moment alongside tablets . I feel like it's slightly calmed me down a little but I don't know if it's just placebo. Tastes horrible though :/ 

On 21/07/2018 at 09:55, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Been to the docs and they want to up my Citalopram to 3 tabs a day rather than 2.  Not massively comfortable with that so want to look at alternatives.

Anyone used CBD?

I'm on Sertraline, want to get off it, I smoke a lot of weed anyway and find it helps me massively with general anxiety, cutting out drinking was a big one aswell, I found that a relatively 'fun' night didn't justify the day of self loathing and dread that follows. Have numerous friends who swear by CBD Oil! Available in a lot of places now!

22 hours ago, FerrisBueller said:

I'm on Sertraline, want to get off it, I smoke a lot of weed anyway and find it helps me massively with general anxiety, cutting out drinking was a big one aswell, I found that a relatively 'fun' night didn't justify the day of self loathing and dread that follows. Have numerous friends who swear by CBD Oil! Available in a lot of places now!

Think i’m gonna give it a go.  Speaking to the doc in the morning and gonna talk it over with them.  Cant carry on like this and moving to 60mg of Citalopram just isn’t gonna help.

32 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Trying to be productive like wading through sludge of the brain. 

@Realist Guy In The Room when you say can't carry on, do you mean with your anxiety or symptoms of the ssris? 

The symptoms, the anxiety, the depression.  I’m shutting down and I need it to change.  I’ve got too much to live for to be wasting time stuck in this shit.

Spoke to the doc this morning.  The councelling service they offer wont see me so she’s raising a complaint on my behalf for how they’ve handled the situation.

Regards the meds, she’s said to

go down to 20mg of Citalopram for a

month, then come off it completely and we’ll switch to something else.  She’s not keen on CBD as she says its unknown really whether or not its helpful or harmful.

You're on 40mg citalopram, the gp wanted to put you up to 60 but the counselling service won't see you? Do you have a history of falling out with them? 

I've had some really shit experience with NHS talking therapy but I can't stress the importance of counselling enough. Anxiety and depression rarely just go away and SSRIs are a filter not really a cure. 

I know it's not in everyone's budget but is private therapy an option? There's a vast range of options from about 20-80 quid a session and a fair few places do low income support. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

You're on 40mg citalopram, the gp wanted to put you up to 60 but the counselling service won't see you? Do you have a history of falling out with them? 

I've had some really shit experience with NHS talking therapy but I can't stress the importance of counselling enough. Anxiety and depression rarely just go away and SSRIs are a filter not really a cure. 

I know it's not in everyone's budget but is private therapy an option? There's a vast range of options from about 20-80 quid a session and a fair few places do low income support. 

They said they had concerns over the safety of the councillors and on that basis discontinued my appointments.  No idea what I said that made them feel that way. 

I’ve looked into some private therapy and will definitely be going down that route.

1 hour ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

They said they had concerns over the safety of the councillors and on that basis discontinued my appointments.  No idea what I said that made them feel that way. 

I’ve looked into some private therapy and will definitely be going down that route.

Good luck mate, hopefully things start turning themselves around for you.

• Like 1

I know I have occasionally made a comment on depression and maybe come across as somewhat disrespectful towards people suffering from it (talking about it being "something nice to have in today's society" if I recall correctly, in the sense of depression as a fashion choice - a point I probably managed to put across rather badly), so I'd like to add to the discussion with a bit by a man I admire and many other people admire - Canadian clinical psychologist Jordan Peterson.

He has suffered from depression himself and is talking quite openly about his experiences, and about his own daughter's depression (who had a terrible childhood due to an immune system malfunction), so maybe his thoughts on depression may be of some help to the affected (and people in their inner circle) - go to minute 25:30:

On 24/07/2018 at 11:39, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Sincerely - I went that route, and if you find the right person, it is hard and painful, but done properly, well worth it.

Be brave - and the very best of luck to you.

On 30/07/2018 at 21:38, deep blue said:

I've just read briefly about TMS. Can anyone say whether this is a bona fide treatment, or is it a scam?

That’s where they stimulate the brain with coils and magnets isn’t it? I don’t know of anyone who’s suffering with depression who’s tried it so not sure of the success rate.

As with any type of treatment, I’d discuss with your GP first and get their expert opinion on it.

Personally, if therapy and medication hadn’t worked for me I’d probably have tried anything tbh

8 hours ago, ajthefox said:

I started running a few years ago to keep fit and in the last couple of years I've started taking it seriously and running competitive races, doing two half marathons in the last year and I have plans to do a full marathon in the next 6-12 months. I enjoy the challenge of pushing myself to go further and faster and it helps me stay fit, but more than that it really helps me mentally.

The main thing for me is that it clears my mind and really helps me release stress. On a good day it makes me feel practically invincible, as if I could just keep running and running and never stop. Invariably I obviously do stop, but my runner's high is a very real, powerful feeling.

I recommend running to everyone, just start slow over a short distance and you will soon reap the benefits.

I couldn’t agree more AJ, the best thing I ever did for my MH was take up running again.