Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

1 minute ago, Kopic said:

Always a similar time to get going. I live in broughton astley and by the time I get to narborough it's usually working (not always). Usually around 10 mins. Always produces a very distinct "aircon" smell just before it starts. The jazz is my grandads old car, 2009 plate done, 20k miles, I doubt the aircon was ever used. Lovely and cold very quickly.

Just get it regassed and see if it fixes the problem. Probably the cheapest option to rule out first. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

If it needed gas it wouldn't get cold at all though would it? 

You’re right it probably wouldn’t. I really don’t know how they work. My thinking is that if gas is low, it may take longer to kick in. Could be way off though. 

Edited by stix

2 minutes ago, stix said:

You’re right it probably wouldn’t. I really don’t know how they work. My thinking is that if gas is low, it may take longer to kick in. Could be way off though. 

To be honest that's exactly what I thought (and hoped for). The fact it works eventually is why I never really bothered to get round to getting it looked at but this recent weather made me think of it again.

1 minute ago, Kopic said:

To be honest that's exactly what I thought (and hoped for). The fact it works eventually is why I never really bothered to get round to getting it looked at but this recent weather made me think of it again.

I was only heading toward that train of thought because I’ve had my car for coming up to 4 years now, and I’ve never had the air con re-gassed. And I use it all the time. It’s either full on hot, or freezing in my car. Nows probably not the best time to get it done as the weathers nice, but corona might actually get you a better deal right now!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kopic said:

Have you tried (or have you ever) changed the pollen filter?  I used to drive an 2009 Audi A3.  I picked it up quite cheap at the time & it had 100k+ miles.  I'm not saying it will 'fix' the air conditioning problem, but I had similar problems with the Audi I had.  It took forever to go cold & it didn't smell good.  It's a pain in the arse to change, as it's about the size of an A4 folder & slots in behind the glove box.  Cost me about £10.  The one I took out was filthy.  I wouldn't say it 'fixed' the problem but it improved the aircon massively & there was no smell at all.

Were you referring to possible DPF issues in your earlier post?  It may be that you don't have a DPF.  I think they come as standard now, but my old Audi 2.0 tdi didn't have one.  It was around 2008/2009 they started fitting them more regularly.  The easiest way to tell if it had a DPF was the angle of the exhaust tailpipe.  If the tailpipe angled downwards - no DPF.  Angled straight - DPF.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

Have you tried (or have you ever) changed the pollen filter?  I used to drive an 2009 Audi A3.  I picked it up quite cheap at the time & it had 100k+ miles.  I'm not saying it will 'fix' the air conditioning problem, but I had similar problems with the Audi I had.  It took forever to go cold & it didn't smell good.  It's a pain in the arse to change, as it's about the size of an A4 folder & slots in behind the glove box.  Cost me about £10.  The one I took out was filthy.  I wouldn't say it 'fixed' the problem but it improved the aircon massively & there was no smell at all.

Were you referring to possible DPF issues in your earlier post?  It may be that you don't have a DPF.  I think they come as standard now, but my old Audi 2.0 tdi didn't have one.  It was around 2008/2009 they started fitting them more regularly.  The easiest way to tell if it had a DPF was the angle of the exhaust tailpipe.  If the tailpipe angled downwards - no DPF.  Angled straight - DPF.

I did change the pollen filter a year or so ago due to a bad smell and it sorted that but no such luck with the aircon. Was absolutely filthy.

I was referring to the DPF, and my exhaust does point downwards. One less thing to worry about I guess!

• Like 1

Just now, Kopic said:

I did change the pollen filter a year or so ago due to a bad smell and it sorted that but no such luck with the aircon. Was absolutely filthy.

I was referring to the DPF, and my exhaust does point downwards. One less thing to worry about I guess!

I wouldn't take anything I say as gospel.  I don't always trust me

It would be worth checking it out for definite.  I remember mine was an Audi A3 (8P).  If you know the type of A3 you have it should be a fairly simple Google search.

• Like 1

Has anybody on here got a full Electric vehicle (not hybrid)?

I'm seriously considering a Tesla model 3 (Long range model) as a company car when my current deal runs out later this year and everything I've read about them online seems very positive.

Obviously as a company car it makes pretty good financial sense, but what are they like to live with? 

1 minute ago, Wakeyfox said:

Has anybody on here got a full Electric vehicle (not hybrid)?

I'm seriously considering a Tesla model 3 (Long range model) as a company car when my current deal runs out later this year and everything I've read about them online seems very positive.

Obviously as a company car it makes pretty good financial sense, but what are they like to live with? 

My mates got a Tesla and absolutely loves it ! ...  he let me have a go and it was lovely to drive once you’d got use to the slightly different style.  The only issue is the need to charge it up and although he plays it down I think it pisses him off too.  When the range improves and there are more charging places they will really take off. 

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

My mates got a Tesla and absolutely loves it ! ...  he let me have a go and it was lovely to drive once you’d got use to the slightly different style.  The only issue is the need to charge it up and although he plays it down I think it pisses him off too.  When the range improves and there are more charging places they will really take off. 

I'm sure you'd get used to the charging issues easily enough.

The long range model 3 claims a range of 348 miles, but in reality if that's 300 or there abouts then it should be plenty for most people.  The longest daily drives I regularly do are from Wakefield to Leicester which is around 180 miles in a day, so hopefully it wouldn't be an issue...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kopic said:

You'll need the engine number and call an Audi dealer to be absolutely sure if you have a DPF. Most of the early ones didn't as they were optional. 

• Like 1

On 05/05/2020 at 18:05, FoxesDeb said:

Now it looks like I will be working from home for the foreseeable future I'd like to get rid of my car which is on finance. I can't give it back as I haven't paid more than half of it off, and I can't sell it to a dealer as they're all closed. 

So it's just sitting on my driveway costing me a few hundreds of pounds a month :(

How far off paying 50% are you? Have you tried calling them and seeing if any of the terms have changed or been relaxed because of the situation. I’m sure you’re not the only one in this boat throughout this. It’s surely worth a phone call? Worst case, nothing changes. And you’re at the same point as you are now. 

I don’t know, maybe if you’re pretty close to paying half, an agreement could be made with them to terminate the deal? 

36 minutes ago, stix said:

How far off paying 50% are you? Have you tried calling them and seeing if any of the terms have changed or been relaxed because of the situation. I’m sure you’re not the only one in this boat throughout this. It’s surely worth a phone call? Worst case, nothing changes. And you’re at the same point as you are now. 

I don’t know, maybe if you’re pretty close to paying half, an agreement could be made with them to terminate the deal? 

Thanks, unfortunately I'm nowhere near half, and the finance company just aren't interested. The only hope I have is that a dealer will buy it from me, but obviously they're all closed atm. And I've got to hope they can give me at least what I owe. I'm lucky I guess that we can still manage the payments, allbeit for something I don't need anymore, but I really feel for those who can't afford to make their payments atm and probably stand to lose their car and whatever they've already paid towards it. 

10 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Thanks, unfortunately I'm nowhere near half, and the finance company just aren't interested. The only hope I have is that a dealer will buy it from me, but obviously they're all closed atm. And I've got to hope they can give me at least what I owe. I'm lucky I guess that we can still manage the payments, allbeit for something I don't need anymore, but I really feel for those who can't afford to make their payments atm and probably stand to lose their car and whatever they've already paid towards it. 

Yeah but still being able to manage the payments is still dead money to anybody if you aren’t driving the car. There  are dealers about that are still open. Probably wise to hold on abit still though because it’ll be a buyers market at the minute because not all of them are open. I think if I was in your situation I would put the feelers out, find the ones that are still open, and just get an idea of what they’d offer me. You don’t have to accept, and you’d have an initial figure in your head to work with. 

Have you check on autotrader to see what you might get selling privately? 

Just now, stix said:

Yeah but still being able to manage the payments is still dead money to anybody if you aren’t driving the car. There  are dealers about that are still open. Probably wise to hold on abit still though because it’ll be a buyers market at the minute because not all of them are open. I think if I was in your situation I would put the feelers out, find the ones that are still open, and just get an idea of what they’d offer me. You don’t have to accept, and you’d have an initial figure in your head to work with. 

Have you check on autotrader to see what you might get selling privately? 

Yes, and what I could potentially get privately is more than enough to cover the outstanding finance, but my lender told me I can't sell it privately as it's on finance. I have to admit I haven't checked that though, so it could be rubbish. 

I didn't realise some dealers were open either, I thought it was just the maintenance garages still working. But then the extent of my research was limited to Googling Renault Leicester :blush:

On 22/05/2020 at 12:20, Wakeyfox said:

I'm sure you'd get used to the charging issues easily enough.

The long range model 3 claims a range of 348 miles, but in reality if that's 300 or there abouts then it should be plenty for most people.  The longest daily drives I regularly do are from Wakefield to Leicester which is around 180 miles in a day, so hopefully it wouldn't be an issue...

it's not the car its the insurance. 

its eyewatering

2 minutes ago, Langley said:

it's not the car its the insurance. 

its eyewatering

Yes, it's up a few groups from my current car, but there's loads of other savings to offer this. For example service costs are very low due to there being no engine/oil etc. Lots less moving parts, only really the motor and brakes need checking... 

13 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

It will be a buyers market for a considerable amount of time. I’ve been looking at getting a new (2nd hand) car for a while and what I want I notice have come down a couple of grand in price since this lockdown started. 

Just seen a brand new car on Auto trader with over 6 grand off the 24 grand list price. Second hand prices seem to have held up OK from what I keep an eye on.