Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1972 Fox

Drinkwater starts for England v Australia

Rashford did really well but John Stones was the best player on the pitch by a million miles.

Barkley played his way out of the squad and Henderson was very rusty. Wilshere did some nice things first half but got nowhere near Rogic - a better player would have buried England by half time. Drinky has to go but then I am ridiculously biased.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I think drinkwater is likely to go as Dier looks like he will be the backup centre half . There is no need for Barkley. Doesn't offer anything. Barkley Delph and Stu ridge to miss the plane.

I thought Drinky had a decent game, certainly one of our better players, in my opinion.

As for the new Messiah Rashford, am i the only one that the goal apart, thought he was a little bit crap.

He gets bullied a bit. He was against us at OT. He is young and in a tournement, the opposition will suss out how to play against him.

John Stones was superb. And showing exactly what he could play like if he joined a decent team.

Lallana....just why?

Drinkwater I'm afraid didn't have the performance he needed to give Woy no choice but to take him. After that it's touch and go if he makes the squad.

Generally we were really poor

Rashford MOTM? Really? Amazing! Hit a scuffed goal and did not a lot else. Played only one half too! 

Drinky will miss out. He had to be outstanding tonight. Woy will go for his usual crowd.

What a boring, performance. Woy must be delighted.

So, scanning the live text for this, drinky was mentioned once during the line up and then again to ask, if Roy takes Rashford, who would be not take. Doesn't sound like it was his finest.

Why not? He has repeatedly said that drinkwater has mis placed passes or isnt 'fitting' into the system. At least 4 times. Then the unbeleivable amount of digs at Vardy the other night. The one I quoted earlier being a particularly stand out example. Why cant he say impartially "well that was poor by Dier, he was under no pressure and had other options."?

Well predominantly because that would be an utter nonsense, you can see there is no one near him but he doesn't have a clue who is lurking where and it would be a dangerous ball if someone had made a run, getting it behind is the right thing to do his execution is just shit.

Secondly because his comments about drinkwater are correct, he did give the ball away and he doesn't suit a diamond.

Thirdly he probably did feel sorry for him because he hasn't actually played centre back for awhile.

Forthly making negative comments on a performance over a length of time is much more warranted than a one off mistake, as I say when it comes to mistakes like that commentators will often reframe from heavy criticsm.

He is getting a round of fcks off lee Dixon now if it makes you feel any better.

I think this whole 23 from 26 was a mistake, players should be settling down together, not playing for a place in the squad. If Roy wasn't so keen on injury limited players, we wouldn't have seen so much nervousness.

One more thing, I'm old enough to remember Bobby Robson getting slaughtered for years, and then totally turn it round at Italia 90. Nothing is impossible, we know that better than anybody.

I can see why other fans don't see what the fuss is about DD. Football fans tend to over rate their own players. Look at West Ham fans who think all their English players should be playing for England, but the rest of us think Noble is nothing more than an OK player. We do over rate DD as well to an extend if we are honest.

Yet again that was uninspiring.

Stones needed a performance like that, very impressive tonight, Bertrand looked decent at times. Drinkwater much better in the second half, just his tracking back at times that let him down.

As for players to drop, Henderson, Wilshere, Barkley & Sterling have shown nothing in my opinion. Delph & Sturridge possibly out through injury so those two along with one of the others I mentioned, maybe Barkley tbh, Alli, Rooney & Lallana can all play in the position he plays.

Putting Leicester bias aside and speaking as an England fan, Drinkwater doesnt really have the dynamism as an international midfielder.

After those performances, if he played for Liverpool, we'd be saying that he's only going because of who he plays for.

If he goes, it'll be down to the lack of fitness of others rather than his international performances.

He needed to take the game by the scruff of the neck tonight but instead, he looked to be shying away.

That last minute pass that went out for a throw, Woy didnt look impressed at all.

I can see why other fans don't see what the fuss is about DD. Football fans tend to over rate their own players. Look at West Ham fans who think all their English players should be playing for England, but the rest of us think Noble is nothing more than an OK player. We do over rate DD as well to an extend if we are honest.

I don't agree. The problem isn't Drinkwater. We all know he's been exceptional all season. The problem is Hodgson and how he sets us up. I say once more...If we go on to do well in the Euro's it will be IN SPITE of Woy, not because of him. We have some really good players so we ought to do ok. But it won't be because of 6 million a year Roy Hodgson.

I don't agree. The problem isn't Drinkwater. We all know he's been exceptional all season. The problem is Hodgson and how he sets us up. I say once more...If we go on to do well in the Euro's it will be IN SPITE of Woy, not because of him. We have some really good players so we ought to do ok. But it won't be because of 6 million a year Roy Hodgson.

Depends what he does. Impossible to say that till you see what he starts out with, what we are seeing now is pure experimentation.

Putting Leicester bias aside and speaking as an England fan, Drinkwater doesnt really have the dynamism as an international midfielder.

After those performances, if he played for Liverpool, we'd be saying that he's only going because of who he plays for.

If he goes, it'll be down to the lack of fitness of others rather than his international performances.

You're spot on.

Drinkwater is a decent player but even for us he's not in the top 5 most important players for us. The only reason he's is in there is due to the lack of fitness to Wilshere and Hemderson. Like it or not but t Wilshire is a superior footballer to Drinkwater.

Archived